New version developement

Information and updates for the Zy-El mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: d2vern, Kato

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Re: New version developement

Post by Clersius » Sat May 24, 2014 6:29 pm

I wish I had modding experience! :cry:

An update to Zy-El in the spirit of its original creation would be amazing.

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Mon May 26, 2014 5:23 am

Maybe it's what the Mod needs to generate more interest again however, I currently don't have time to do this as well as play and host tournaments, not to mention real life commitments. I would also be starting almost from scratch from a "modding" perspective as it is about 5 years since I did any.

Montex: If you can extract the .txt files from the MOPAQ, you obviously have some modding knowledge yourself. Why not make a start yourself :?: If you decide to do so, I would suggest you try PM'ing Kato to get his approval first and if you haven't heard back in a week or so, PM one of the senior Admins here at the keep to get approval....otherwise it could be seen as "reverse-engineering". The ES Community Patch was done with the blessing of the ES modmakers.

Best to keep things as "right as possible" for something like this ;)
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Veteran? More like "Ancient Relic!"..been playing the mod for 12 years!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
I get knocked down but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down...!
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Doub
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Doub » Mon May 26, 2014 2:33 pm

Al-T" wrote:Maybe it's what the Mod needs to generate more interest again however, I currently don't have time to do this as well as play and host tournaments, not to mention real life commitments. I would also be starting almost from scratch from a "modding" perspective as it is about 5 years since I did any.

Montex: If you can extract the .txt files from the MOPAQ, you obviously have some modding knowledge yourself. Why not make a start yourself :?: If you decide to do so, I would suggest you try PM'ing Kato to get his approval first and if you haven't heard back in a week or so, PM one of the senior Admins here at the keep to get approval....otherwise it could be seen as "reverse-engineering". The ES Community Patch was done with the blessing of the ES modmakers.

Best to keep things as "right as possible" for something like this ;)
I like the way you talk. lol...
You are a wise person :)

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Thu May 29, 2014 8:24 am

i expected more enthusiasm. But... Life is as it is...
While im still awaiting answer from Kato i have kinda successfully moved to v1.10 except a few files that will be moved during the next few days (skills, missiles, cubemain due to its size - 1263237 recipes).
And while i do not know how much Kato invested into dll editing i hope most of it can be replaced by D2Mod plugins (hirelings, bar overflow)
Somewhere between reality and fantasy... Where one ends yet the other does not begin...

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Thu May 29, 2014 11:05 am

It's not lack of enthusiasm on my part. I would truly love to help with this but at the moment I have too much going on in RL to be able to devote the time required. Even the simplest modifications take a long time to implement and to be sure they "work as expected". Don't give up on me though....I might decide I have enough time to help in the near future,,,just not right now ;)

As for .dll edits, I don't know myself how much Kato did. I don't think he did many if any. I do know that Myhrginoc did .dll edits for a number of things when I was his tester for 4.2b before Kato (we had his blessing to make the changes) came back. Among them were...

Life and Mana Ball rollovers.
Immortals attributes and life rollovers.
Players X and version number echo on the main screen when using Tab for maps.
Correct Player Level on character selection screen.
Removal of "Battle.net" Option on the loading screen.

There may have been others but I don't know if anything was ever documented or just shared between Myhrg and Kato. Both are not around any more :roll:

A few other things will also need careful consideration.....can we still have 10,000 levels and a similar progression? With skill synergies in 1.10 will this cause damage overflows? Will monster attributes be scaled accordngly? Will existing map plugins work correctly with 1.10 or as it is a new version/community patch, do we use or create new ones? Will we have room to add new recipes to cubemain.txt?

One thing I woud have liked to have seen had Kato continued development was one or two more Insanity Levels. In 1.09d that could only have been done either by extensive code editing or reusing an existing area and populating it with "Insanity Level Type Monsters". With the ExtendedLevels plugin that is available for 1.10, there is much more could be done for this.

Anyway, these were just a few of my thoughts and as I said above, don't give up on me just yet ;)
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Veteran? More like "Ancient Relic!"..been playing the mod for 12 years!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
I get knocked down but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down...!
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Sat May 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Just did some cap and rollover testing in v1.10.
Seems like monster life is capped at 8.38m; no rollover and i cant raise it any further.
Managed to raise damage cap to 8.38m; rollover at 8.38m. It was fun running around bloodmoor and killing 8.38m like skellies with 3m damage firebolt (raised the damage just for testing things out).
Item stat requirements can be raised past 255 by automagic (including set and uniques). I'm planing the high end gear to require 1500-2000 str (and dex).
Skill cap can be raised past lvl 100 (i think to 255 but i stopped at 250). Changed skill point requirements for skills: 1-50 = 1; 51-100 =2; 101-150 = 3; 151-200 = 4; 201-250 = 5; While this allows players past 3000 spend their skill points it shouldn't disbalance early gameplay too much (raising 1 skill to 250 costs 750 point in total)
Planing to change resistance penalties based on character level (-1 resist all per level) rather than based on difficulty.
That's probably about everything i wanted to change.

Things i cant recreate in 1.10 - mostly dll based:
Players x command past players 8. There is a plugin for this one but its kinda incomplete. Still checking what is working as what isn't.
EDIT: monster health - ok; monster exp - too much (10% increase instead of 5 past players 8); drop chance increase - ok; monster damage - fail (does not increase past players 8 as it should which is kinda sad).
Charsi imbue to give crafted item (there is a plugin that allows to get unique item and i will most probably go for that).
Merc lvl capped at 80% of player level. will be capped at 100%
quests rewards (A1Q3, A3Q2, A4Q2 - though there may be some plugin for this one, A5Q2)
character level display in char select window capped at 255. Normal (not bugged) display ingame.
starting menu display at the bottom of the screen.

@ AL: There should be possible to add both new levels and new recipes. Worst case scenario i could delete some recipes what i personally have never used to make room for new ones.

Still waiting for any response from Kato though i guess this is rather symbolic as i seriously doubt he will appear.
Somewhere between reality and fantasy... Where one ends yet the other does not begin...

Xeigho

Post by Xeigho » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Sadly I don't have any modding experience :( to be able to help you out with such a mammoth task 8-O
But please keep us updated as to what it is you are looking at/changing so we can add our thoughts.

Is there a way to disable synergies? I never felt they added anything to the game, and will undoubtedly cause issues with the epic numbers in zyel.

I imagine that some of the recipes might need updating due to the whole multiple outputs thing they added in 1.10
(maybe make cube locks fractionally more expensive and make them last 2 or 3 times?)
But this is something for after the major work is done..
'Seriously, barb would benefit us much more, and Paladins are much weaker. Plus a bald guy with a insanely huge sword scares me more than some fancy prick with a mace' ~ Stingray

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:33 pm

I should finish modding by this weekend. You can expect to see some result by then. And hopefully i have enough time to document all the changes...
Synergies will stay but will not have big influence over the other skills. I wanted to make them as something that can give the skill a small bonus if you don't have any better place to spend your skillpoint instead of the main damage source.

Xeigho

Post by Xeigho » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:58 pm

Would it be possible to add a damage value on a per element basis? just to make capping and rolling over etc. not such a huge issue as you could see when it was happening.
'Seriously, barb would benefit us much more, and Paladins are much weaker. Plus a bald guy with a insanely huge sword scares me more than some fancy prick with a mace' ~ Stingray

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:34 am

There are no more damage caps at 82k (or whatever the exact value was) damage. And i seriously hope no one reaches 8.3m dmg...
Actually it would be possible to raise both monster health and damage cap from 8.3 to 132.8m (or even more) but i am not planing to do that atm. Player health cap would still stay 8.3m - there would be display issues if i tried to mess with that.

Started to document everything i did today. After that i plan another short check and then it would be ready

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Its me again...
While there are a few more things to improve i promised to show what i have done by weekend.
Download links and installation guide on the first post
Last edited by Montex on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChaosMarc
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by ChaosMarc » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:44 pm

I just created a D2SE compatible package for myself and thought of sharing it with others.
Nothing mod-related was changed. I just removed plugy.dll and folder as they come with D2SE and removed the d2mod.ini line where plugy is loaded as D2SE can do it for itself.
I hope you (Montex) are ok with me uploading the file. If not just PM me and I will take it down immediately.

Install instructions:
Doubleclick "D2SE_Zy-El_4.5_sfx.exe" and extract to your "..\Diablo II\MODS" folder
Start as usual via D2SE

Download:

No virus check - sorry the file is too big (76 MB)
you can always open it with 7zip instead of running the file to be sure :)

greets
tmc

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 am

Hmm... There are quite a few glitches in the initial release...
Updated the download link and placed it on the first post as well.
Todays fixes:
reduce-ac was giving Ac instead of reducing it - fixed.
Collector upgrader mode wasn't working - fixed.
2h swords requirements were too low - fixed.
more starting skeletons - necro summoner early gameplay was way too different from previous version. allowed a bit more skeletons at low skill levels
summons speed - summons were much slower compared to earlier version - fixed
monster thread - summons were ignoring some monsters and not attacking them - fixed.

Elafar
Paladin

Post by Elafar » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:36 pm

Even if I can't assist you on Modding, I can at least express my gratitude and moral support. Thx for your effort :)

..on your documentation you wrote that there are some new stuff regarding runewords. Unfortunatelly there are no runewords listed at all...I wonder if you forgot to include those in reade me ? :roll:
..themastercaster..thx to you too for including mod into D2SE :)

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Check http://zyel.wikispaces.com/Runewords for runewords.
Sorry for the confusion... My change list fits into one single page (page 3). After that follows the original readme from version 4.4 with slight changes to some sections.
I removed the runeword list from the readme overall because it is too much to list all runewords with full effects and listing them without any effects is kinda pointless.
Maybe ill do something about that later.

Also i patched some more holes... The link is in the first post.
changes
hirelings refusing to use skills: mostly affects act 1 cold rogues. Fixed that...
min dmg / lvl string - the string showed max dmg instead of min dmg. fixed
skeleton damage, bone shield absorb - some tweaks to necro skills to make the game more enjoyable (at least to me)
skills: Amplify damage, weaken, Lower rsist, Holy Freeze, Conviction, Cloak Of Shadows. Freaking "helpful" MS Excel ready to convert text to formulas when no ones asks it to... the effect values were wrong on those skills. should be fixed now.

Note about hireling skills (will include in the readme later):
Act 1 fire: basic attack + fire arrow + immolation arrow
Act 1 cold: basic attack + cold arrow + freezing arrow
Act 2 combat: basic attack + jab + vengeance (no auras)
Act 2 offensive: basic attack + jab + might aura
Act 2 defensive: basic attack + jab + defiance aura
Act 3 cold: ice bolt + ice blast + glacial spike
Act 3 fire: fire bolt + fire ball + meteor
Act 3 lightning: charged bolt + lightning + chain lightning
Act 5 all: basic attack + stun + whirlwind

Elafar
Paladin

Post by Elafar » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Great, :), all changes seem to be an improvement ..

However,
I may have one unusual request... :roll:

Since this mod is all about massive clicking , picking tons of stuff...it feels like hard work on my wrist. Could you be considering changing gold drop that instead on the floor it getting moved directly into chars inventory ?...It would relieve at least some pain :). This is possible and it's done in mod Le Royaume des Ombres. Anyway , keep up your good work ;)

Ah just discovered possible major balance recipe bug. Card thumbnail + chipped gem gives random +1 higher card...so you could quite easy get highest cards at the beginning of THE game....not sure that was your intention ? :)

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Found the recipes in question. I messed up with copy-paste a little bit :D
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61196&#p476123 this is what Xaphan did in his mod... haven't tried myself but i think this method completely ignores gold% mod which is kinda vital to have later in the game. Anyway ill think about it

Elafar
Paladin

Post by Elafar » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:27 am

You are right, %Gold is essential to this mod so Xaphan's way wouldn't be good. However I am pretty sure that there should be also some another way of auto picking gold, although I don't have a clue how it could be modded.

..btw, magic collector doesn't work with Magic (blue ) armors and weapons :)

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:01 am

...btw, magic collector doesn't work with Magic (blue ) armors and weapons :)
Being able to collect magic armor / weapons would decrease the gold cost per cube point. Atm the average cost is 1500 gold / point. The cheapest blues can be bought for around 200 gold per piece so i have removed the collection of magic weapons and armors overall

Elafar
Paladin

Post by Elafar » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:05 am

Ah, it makes sense. :cool:
I just mentioned it because in the documentation it states that it works with magical items.

I noticed also that at entrance of Outer cloister there is no more Mini Boss, no big deal but anyway I am sharing this in case it was the bug .

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Patch 3 is out. Download link is on first post as usual.
Fixes:
more cube scroll strings changed to display exact values;
incorrect cube points display on collectors fixed; transmute collector in cube to update it.
buggy cure recipe (cards upgrade) fixed
item drop amount changed: more items on p1, less items on p8+. p1 and p8+ felt like two different games thus i tried to reduce the difference a bit.

Elafar
Paladin

Post by Elafar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:40 am

Any plans to buff Mele in general for early starting, as it was range javelins or minions based build was always way to easier ? :)

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:25 pm

So far the only improvement of melee chars is the removal of knockback from Nef rune. This allows some runewords that were previously unavailable to melee toons unless you wanted to follow the knocked back mob across the whole map.
What class are you playing?

Elafar
Paladin

Post by Elafar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Atm, I am testing Barbarian...it is as it was in Earlier Zy-el , mele sux compared to ranged.
I've played as bit Druid (minion master ) and Assa (Mind blast ) ..they seem to be ok and pretty much as they were before. Keeping in mind that I am testing only before lvl 40 and mainly Act1

btw: increased drops on P1 = good....decreased on P8+ is not feeling that good..

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:59 pm

patch 4 notes:
gh0st(eth) is back to the monastery gate.
poison length from monsters increased to somewhat match previous versions.
enabled some magic-only affixes for rares.
removed all charged affixes.
increased thorns affixes x10.
get-hit skills, thorns, light-thorns work when attacked instead of taken damage.

thorns may be somewhat useful now in early game (lots of skulls in shield, boot, charms); especially for melee characters. Not sure if it would be worth crafting thorns jewels in late game - probably no...

Return to “Zy-El: Trial by Fire”