A mod without builds - like bastion

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

A mod without builds - like bastion

Post by Desocupado » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:59 pm

The other day I was playing Bastion, then I begun to wonder how it's "skill system" work.
Basically it goes like this:

It's somewhat similar to Diablo 3, you bring 2 "primary attacks" (weapons) - each one gets 5 passive effects (from a list with 5 mutually exclusive pairs), which augment the attacks nicely, like proving more bullets, burning effects, ricochets and so on.
Besides the primary attack you get 2 "spenders" that cost a limited resource to use (black tonics).

Beyond using some passives and masteries to modify a given skill along with pluggy for unlimited reset, we would get a system similar to D3. You just change you build at will.
It's good in the sense it bring some strategy - "One must choose his build maximizing synergy".

-Some upgrade trees could go like cold arrow (level 1) -> freezing arrow (requires maximum cold arrow)
-This idea is good in the sense you can make mutually exclusive upgrades.
---------------------

But what about, having no builds are all? i.e. you get enough skill points to maximize all skills, but instead of making a build, you must learn how to exploit all skills to full use.
I mean, with up to 7 classes, do we really need to incentive re-playability with the same class?

zjat
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Re: A mod without builds - like bastion

Post by zjat » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:23 am

Bastion is a great example, I'll through starcraft 2's campaign in there as well. Extremely similar setup where you have a skill tree (which you have to collect points in missions for) and then you get to unlock A or B at each rank. While more rigid, it does allow some reason to replay the campaign, simply to see A verses B and the combinations of such. With Bastion, it also has a replay (new game plus) function as some of the game is simply not unlockable in one run. (I believe 2 of the Dieties require new game plus.) If you get the chance, grab Transistor as well (Made by same as Bastion). It uses a similar function, but actually allows you to pick 5 skills, and then link two other skills into it. Each skill has a Primary (active), Secondary (linked), and Tertiary (character passive) effect. Now something like that would be incredible to a Hack n slash like D2 or ARPG like D3, but probably not within the scope of this thread.

An option that could be plausible, is having an item that grants a simple skill (oskill) or mastery of some kind. Like a unique charm that could be recrafted via the cube, or sold and purchased by various vendors (each act having a different unique charm? idk). Then you could have 1 "skill" choice per act and in this example, up to 5 ranks and 2 options at each 'rank.'

Last thought, a skill system could be completely functional with each lesser skill having less total skill levels. If frost arrow only have 5 levels, there's no real loss in pumping 5 levels into it then climbing to the next rank of frost arrow as ice arrow or freezing arrow (aoe). Especially since the defaults of these can be easily modified for % damage bonus or conversion. There's a Xmen fighter/rpg game that did something like this, they had either 3 or 5 levels of each skill, and subsequent skills (like ice and freezing arrows) really just modified and slightly mutated the original skill. I believe that game however Required each previous skill to be maxed.

Jeewdew
Paladin

Post by Jeewdew » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:09 pm

zjat" wrote:Last thought, a skill system could be completely functional with each lesser skill having less total skill levels. If frost arrow only have 5 levels, there's no real loss in pumping 5 levels into it then climbing to the next rank of frost arrow as ice arrow or freezing arrow (aoe). Especially since the defaults of these can be easily modified for % damage bonus or conversion. There's a Xmen fighter/rpg game that did something like this, they had either 3 or 5 levels of each skill, and subsequent skills (like ice and freezing arrows) really just modified and slightly mutated the original skill. I believe that game however Required each previous skill to be maxed.
Think futher with this:
If you get 1 skill point on maybe every 3rd lvl (or less, if the lvling is too easy), and then if you fx. have fire, frost or poision arrow, you can only chose 1 of them, locking the other 2 out, then each have 2 upgrades ex. frost to ice (1 target) or freezing (aoe), and the "main skill" then have a "booster" where you can put 3 or 5 points into buffing the damage, lower cost or what ever...
Then maybe each "class" have 10 skills, with 2 upgrades in each that all have 1 booster...
But maybe one can only have 5 primary skills then locking the rest of the tree out, having to buy a reset or throb a pot or what ever...
I once tanglede myself in a tree like this, it's hard to create, but the outcome is freaking awesome! =)

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:40 am

zjat" wrote:Bastion is a great example, I'll through starcraft 2's campaign in there as well. Extremely similar setup where you have a skill tree (which you have to collect points in missions for) and then you get to unlock A or B at each rank. While more rigid, it does allow some reason to replay the campaign, simply to see A verses B and the combinations of such. With Bastion, it also has a replay (new game plus) function as some of the game is simply not unlockable in one run. (I believe 2 of the Dieties require new game plus.)
If you get the chance, grab Transistor as well (Made by same as Bastion). It uses a similar function, but actually allows you to pick 5 skills, and then link two other skills into it. Each skill has a Primary (active), Secondary (linked), and Tertiary (character passive) effect. Now something like that would be incredible to a Hack n slash like D2 or ARPG like D3, but probably not within the scope of this thread.
Got both, they are great indeed, tough i think bastion is the better one.
zjat" wrote:An option that could be plausible, is having an item that grants a simple skill (oskill) or mastery of some kind. Like a unique charm that could be recrafted via the cube, or sold and purchased by various vendors (each act having a different unique charm? idk). Then you could have 1 "skill" choice per act and in this example, up to 5 ranks and 2 options at each 'rank.'
Maybe a quest drop (might bug in multiplayer) with transmutate (so you right click and it changes)
zjat" wrote:Last thought, a skill system could be completely functional with each lesser skill having less total skill levels. If frost arrow only have 5 levels, there's no real loss in pumping 5 levels into it then climbing to the next rank of frost arrow as ice arrow or freezing arrow (aoe). Especially since the defaults of these can be easily modified for % damage bonus or conversion. There's a Xmen fighter/rpg game that did something like this, they had either 3 or 5 levels of each skill, and subsequent skills (like ice and freezing arrows) really just modified and slightly mutated the original skill. I believe that game however Required each previous skill to be maxed.
Which make more sense even with blizzard's original skilltree, don't you agree?

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”