3D graphic artist getting around

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

Nephretes
Paladin

3D graphic artist getting around

Post by Nephretes » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:10 am

Hi there

I hope that I've chosen good topic to start my journey in here :)

I am new person on modding scene, I have registered here to find out what is possible and also to seek some advanced mod makers which will eventually adapt my idea to their mod, or start another one with me.

As I have stated in topic, I am 3D graphic artist, therefore I posses no skills in programming, and also I doubt I will be able to learn some advancing techniques either. My main job would be then delivering graphic content.

I have explored some of topics here to learn that it is possible to add new skills, items, expanding Horadric cube receipts or introduce new monsters. After reading some tutorials I would say that I am able to do make it from graphic side.

Let's now jump what I would like to know, and how I see modding for Diablo 2.

--

As I admire work of you people here my attempt to modding is rather classical one, so I won't be interested in making another Median, but rather expand original content of a game instead of drastically changing it.

My main quest would be then adding new character with all what is required (not replacing any of them) and also a new act with scenario which would cover stories between diablo 2 and diablo 3. Act 6 let's call it.

For now as I am getting to know lore of Sanctuary I would focus more on new character.

I have picked a "Witch" for a new class. She would be a renegate which have escaped Coven after doing of Adria and Maghda, therefore her main focus would be gaining power instead of serving Belial. As a witch of course she won't be a good person, and she would treat this whole demonic hunting rather as a quest for power, not saving the world as they know it.

I would divide her skills on three trees.
1. Alchemy:
I always thought that mixtures are just useless in game. I would expand this idea by adding new offensive mixtures, reworking old ones, and add some passive properties by drinking them for exact duration. Perhaps it would be also to add some skills connected to transmutations or even some concept of crafting without Cube
2. Dark magic:
Offensive tree based on dealing damage. Rather then using elemental magic it would use spirits/chaos magic or arcanic power like wizard in diablo 3.

Depending on her time in Coven the last one should be
3a. Blood magic: Skills would be using health instead of mana. Rather nasty spells inflicting damage over time with an use of curses, crowd control.
3b. Demonology: Summoning them and using as she pleases.

Here I present some of early works for here. So far I have made three different armoury to begin with. There is all parts, Arms, torso, legs, additional parts (s1,s2 and more in a future)

What I don't know now is which item should be special for here.

I am looking forward for your opinion.

===

If my ideas are impossible to implement I would be interested to join other people work, so feel free to reccomend some interesting (alive) mods being closer to my way of modding.

Here you have some other works:
Attachments
3.png
I was modding heroes 3, but some of them can fit quite nicely. I would have to work on them more.
3.png (211.88 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
2.png
Items
2.png (42.74 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
1.png
Characters
1.png (53.42 KiB) Viewed 10629 times

Nephretes
Paladin

Re: 3D graphic artist getting around

Post by Nephretes » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:12 am

There is a limitations for attachment, so another post. Sorry for that.
Attachments
wiedzma.png
Witch with different armours. You can see different views with using different class of amour as well.
7.png
First try for Witch
7.png (83.29 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
4.gif
Random character walking animation
4.gif (17.9 KiB) Viewed 10629 times

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:42 am

Nice work!
:)
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:04 am

I haven´t seen a mod which adds a whole new act to the game, as I would probably require a lot of code editing. Might be better to take another approach. I suggest using the [D2MOD]GameDiff Plugin which would allow you to alter the acts in every difficulty. To create a story which goes on and on through the difficulty instead of repeating. Could be a wild guess, but I think that´s what Xaphan (Le Royaume des Ombres) got in mind for his mod.

Adding a new damage source is also something over the top. So for your "dark magic" probably just use phy or magic damage. Besides that everything else should be easily doable.

That´s looks pretty awesome. There aren´t that many "alive" mods out there anymore. If you haven´t yet, check out Aftermath, Netherworld Rises or Sanctus Mod - The Pact of Evil which can be found at the Snej Forum. Besides those check Le Royaume des Ombres, Battle for Elements or Dark Alliance which can be found here. Also it seems some other people here work on their on mods, but not intend to release them (yet). Might be also possible to team up with on of those.

You did some really great work here. It would be a shame if your work would never be used. Before that happends upload it so everybody has the chance to use it for their mod. I think seeing other people using your work is the best appreciation one can get.

PS1: I think you should talk to Barby (Pact of Evil), he´s kinda short on time now due a personal matter. But I´m sure you two would make a good match.
PS2: Maybe try to work on some animated inventory items. (Barby did some animations, might ask him to see). Damn I can´t wait to try his Mod :mrgreen: .

Cheers
AlphA

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks for a quick reply ;)

I think that this Act editing plugin would be even better tool than adding new act - story would continue instead of repeating, which is more logic.
This is of course if adding new terrains is possible?
By this I mean that act V on nightmare difficulty would be on a different map built with newly introduced terrains, objects, monsters and quests.

I wasn't thinking about adding new type of damage, magic will do.

Thanks for recommending some mods, I will make sure to check them and it's authors.

Don't worry. If I don't find any interesting team I will upload my work for free use.

==

How about witch concept, is it possible to add new character to game or not?

If so a lot of work is awaiting for me. As some of items have their distinctive look I have to make many of them. I am thinking to ban some of items for her, so I wouldn't have to make it all.

I attach two classical items and bonus HD view of her.

PS. I have been wondering if there is a possibility to use Head part as additional one for customization of armour. In game files I have only found light version of HD so I don't know if I should make it.
PS2. There are two different details: S1, S2. Is it possible to make more of them as well?

PS3. If you know any diablo 2 models for items let me know.
Attachments
wiedzma.png
Can you recognize items? :)
wiedzma.png (80.56 KiB) Viewed 10597 times

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:07 am

I'm sure it's possible to add a new character to the game. But no one has done that yet cause it requires too much work to create all the missing amiations for the new character. Compare to that the coding part should be easier and I'm sure you would find someone do help you with that.

Adding new terrain, switching terrain through acts, adding new maps, adding new objects. Everything is possible. Tools to do all this aren't the best, but it can be done. Some of the recommended mods added completely new maps with new terrain. Again, talk to you Barby. He also reworked some D2 Objects or Terrain. Also might talk to Daimoth who's working on that too.

Cheers

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:39 pm

Your models looking amazing! I sent you a detailed pm also, dont forget to check it out.
Life is too short to drive boring cars.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Nice, see new modders around and 3D artists is specially rare.

Add complete new class/act is require alot of ce. So you would need to find someone who is up to that level to implement that.

I'm always looking for talented people for my own mod, dark alliance and I'm also working on a tool that will help modders who doesn't do ce themself called D2:Dreamlands, you can see the annoucement off that here.

If you are interested lend your hand to my mod, or want invite to betatest of my tool just send me a pm and we can discuss further.
AlphA - The Real One" wrote:I haven´t seen a mod which adds a whole new act to the game, as I would probably require a lot of code editing. Might be better to take another approach. I suggest using the [D2MOD]GameDiff Plugin which would allow you to alter the acts in every difficulty. To create a story which goes on and on through the difficulty instead of repeating. Could be a wild guess, but I think that´s what Xaphan (Le Royaume des Ombres) got in mind for his mod.

Adding a new damage source is also something over the top. So for your "dark magic" probably just use phy or magic damage. Besides that everything else should be easily doable.

That´s looks pretty awesome. There aren´t that many "alive" mods out there anymore. If you haven´t yet, check out Aftermath, Netherworld Rises or Sanctus Mod - The Pact of Evil which can be found at the Snej Forum. Besides those check Le Royaume des Ombres, Battle for Elements or Dark Alliance which can be found here. Also it seems some other people here work on their on mods, but not intend to release them (yet). Might be also possible to team up with on of those.

You did some really great work here. It would be a shame if your work would never be used. Before that happends upload it so everybody has the chance to use it for their mod. I think seeing other people using your work is the best appreciation one can get.

PS1: I think you should talk to Barby (Pact of Evil), he´s kinda short on time now due a personal matter. But I´m sure you two would make a good match.
PS2: Maybe try to work on some animated inventory items. (Barby did some animations, might ask him to see). Damn I can´t wait to try his Mod :mrgreen: .

Cheers
AlphA
My mod is going to add complete new act, once I get to it, I done large part of code to extend acts already :)

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:28 pm

@Kingpin. Can´t wait until the next patch so I can finally play your mod again:).

Cheers

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:09 pm

AlphA - The Real One" wrote:@Kingpin. Can´t wait until the next patch so I can finally play your mod again:).

Cheers
It takes forever :D (Also applies for dreamlands)

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:02 pm

@AlphA
Thanks for your reply, you are telling me exactly what I would like to hear in terms of modding :)

@kingpin

This is what I wanted to hear. I am hoping to eventually find someone which would be fueled by new character idea. Anyway for now a lot of work is awaiting for me.

Today I have tried to reconstruct some item models. I have yet to make animation for them, but I am quite satisfied with an outcome.
I am including 200% version if something is not visible enough

http://i.imgur.com/xw0XYtP.png

Btw. it seems that I have done too many of them. There is only one model for buckler and small shield in game, while I have done it seperately. Can I continue like that, or it is not possible to use separate buckler appearance?
Attachments
hełmy.png
Helmets/ Shields/ Different looks of armour.
Last edited by Nephretes on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:12 pm

I have tried to create new character animation, too. But I'm a complete beginner. Meeting a living 3d graphic artist is great honour for me.

Xaphan
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel
France

Post by Xaphan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Nice work, I must say :)

Most of thoses look pretty decent !

So gratz for your work.

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks guys for your comments,

Do you know any active 3D artist here? Colors palette in diablo is pretty limited, and while I happily work on character I still don't know how to convert it for Diablo 2 graphic. Is there any special program or how should I do it to fit it otherwise? I should see it in game environment, but it's too early for me to do so...any shortcuts?

I was working on Witch, and I have dangerously meet Witch doctor from Diablo 3. Perhaps it will stay this way.

Attachments
wow.png
wow.png (47.46 KiB) Viewed 10388 times

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:09 am

Looks awesome. By the way, with your skills you can also render 3d monsters in isometric view and convert to Diablo 2.That be would be awesome, too.

Lurix
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Bulgaria

Post by Lurix » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:03 am

Watching all of this, I think that if you pick the right mod-maker or you decide to go on releasing plugins you`re gonna bring revolution to Diablo II modding scene.

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:24 am

I would hope to see these released to the public. Been seeing too many projects with similar potential ending up to be never released, and all of the potential it had going to the void. Either way, very nice work :)

Wish I had the talent (and time as a matter of fact) to do this. I would be able to implement gender specification to classes (for example you could have a male sorcerer or a female paladin)

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:07 am

kidpaddle94" wrote: Wish I had the talent (and time as a matter of fact) to do this. I would be able to implement gender specification to classes (for example you could have a male sorcerer or a female paladin)
Totally agree with this one! Great idea imho.

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:13 pm

@jetaman

I have gathered some models from my other projects, and they seem to fit to diablo 2 style if I touch them a little here and there. Modding another old game (Heroes3) is beneficial, as animations are also limited to small number of frames, so I will add some of them for sure.

@Lurix

Och, this is too early to say, but I am glad you like it.

@kidpaddle94
If something get in a way of finishing I will make sure to release materials to public. Promise.

While gender specification is a nice thing to have it will require tremendous amount of work and I doubt someone would even try it ;p

==

Btw guys. Can someone give me a hand with technic issues of graphic conversion? I need to see it for myself just to not make things which are destroyed during the process.

I have downloaded d2 pallete, but I can't find a program to open it (fail), also I am interested if there is an easy way to adjust colors up to what is required to diablo 2. Like nice program which will do this for me, or if there are not lazy options another way to do so. Thanks for help.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:53 pm

I know a close friend of mine who did new animations in 3ds max setup an own palette, how he did I have no idea more then he got an existing d2 animation extracted from me and he took it from there.

necrolis is probably the one who knows most about this (atleast from ce point of view).
I have downloaded d2 pallete, but I can't find a program to open it (fail), also I am interested if there is an easy way to adjust colors up to what is required to diablo 2. Like nice program which will do this for me, or if there are not lazy options another way to do so. Thanks for help.
d2 uses unit palette for all animations, for the pal file on keep I think it's for painshop pro, but not sure.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:21 pm

Wow, those look really really awesome. I'm loving that Witch!
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:15 am

Daimoth helped me with this tricky d2palette stuff and you can find my items here for free use :)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62637&p=484839#p484839

I will be updating this post with other early works before deciding where do I belong.

Greets :)

Edit:

So far I was lucky to make models which don't get destroyed during switching palette :) Here is first animation for town guard.

I guess I will be taking some inspirations from Witch doctor of diablo 3 after all. I couldn't copy pose, as it changes position of head too much during switching directions. I hope that at last there is a spooky feeling to this animation :)

Image Image Image

Btw. Now i understand why no one has ever tried to add new character to Diablo 2. It is hell a lot of work, but I am still crazy enough to give it a try. Here I have prepared what I am going to need helping myself with Paul Siramy tutoria;. There are some questions mark if I couldn't find something or in game look was kind of different than in files. For now I am going to ignore 2HT part to hava a little less work, but I have to relocate missing crossbows, bows and one sword.
Attachments
ZAPIERDOL NAJWIEKSZY.png
What weapons I have to make.

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:44 am

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you don't have to make new weapons animation, like you show in the last screeshot. All the weapon animation are separate files . All you have to do is find the right offsets for your char. Look:

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:11 pm

From what I have learned so far: if you equip the same weapon for different classes you will quickly see that they don't have the same animations, so you have two options:

1. Copy exactly the same body type of any class and their animation to use their weapon offsets
2. Make everything yourself.

While option first seems easier to do, if I want to make individual feel for new class (after all witch (doctor) should use weapons differently than amazon for example) I would have to start from the beginning.

Does any of you guys know if there is at last all animations extracted for one character, preferably from profil side? It will make good reference.

Btw. Outside town and in town animation comparision:

Image Image

First weapon class to cover: 1HS

prawn
Paladin
Great Britain

Post by prawn » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:47 am

amazing well done, keep it up!

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”