Invetory Graphics

This is the place to discuss all issues relating to the manipulation of graphics/animations, sounds, music and cinematics within Diablo 2.

Moderators: Necrolis, Nefarius

Radament

Invetory Graphics

Post by Radament » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Inventory graphics I've made for Diablo II.
Some I drew myself, some I referenced from fantasy and real life images, others I edited from real life stuff (a few of the helmets and the flail).
Inventory Graphics.png
Inventory Graphics.rar
(152.64 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Last edited by Radament on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Still looking for Baal

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Re: Invetory Graphics

Post by jetaman » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:09 pm

Thanks for sharing. I like the helms. I would like to have more of this.

I had the same problem. I don't know how it works in the code but yes, the game lightens the image. Maybe no the game - maybe the palette.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:39 pm

they put a filter on everything to lighten it up.

Jeewdew
Paladin

Post by Jeewdew » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:45 pm

D2 is doing more filtering than all those damn photo-freaks out there filtering like morrons when taking the "perfect" selfie. ;P

Radament

Post by Radament » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:49 pm

I knew it. Why though? What is the point of lightening it?...
Well, I intend to try hand-drawing some items now, because I've already spent enough time modding, I figured I'd just focus some of my drawing time into making items. Hopefully, they'll turn out high-quality enough to be useable. We'll see.

Update 00: I'll add the dc6 files once I've created more.
Update 01-04:
Current.png
Update 05:
Brigandion.png
Update 06:
Gauntlets.png
Gauntlets.png (72.07 KiB) Viewed 7170 times
Last edited by Radament on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Still looking for Baal

Radament

Post by Radament » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Update 07:
HGauntlets.png
HGauntlets.png (78.7 KiB) Viewed 7156 times
Update 08:
LightGloves.png
LightGloves.png (72.99 KiB) Viewed 7130 times
Update 09:
Heavy Boots.png
Heavy Boots.png (76.95 KiB) Viewed 6952 times
Now it's too much contrast.. Sigh.
I still haven't added the dc6 files cuz I haven't edited the images yet to make them match with diablo better and apply sharpening filters and such.
Last edited by Radament on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Still looking for Baal

Radament

Post by Radament » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Reserved for attachments.

I'm not really happy with how these are turning out. Any opinions guys?
Still looking for Baal

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:58 pm

I think they look nice. I would use them. There's always a way go, though. Thanks for the images man

Radament

Post by Radament » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:35 pm

Attachments post updated. I'll compile a .dc6 rar soon, just gotta test them a bit more in game, to make them fit better with the other D2 items.

I can't get the contrast right. I noticed I was using too much contrast with this new Quilted Robe art, but on the Gauntlets it was too little so I had to add more. So much easier to just modify photos... but I gotta paint so..
Still looking for Baal

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Perhaps they should be sharpen a little as well (plus with contrast issues you mentioned), but overall they look great! Keep up good work.

Radament

Post by Radament » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Well I added some sharpening, although probably not enough in some of the cases where I forgot to sharpen after resizing.
Still looking for Baal

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:16 pm

It is very nice of you that you are giving the HD images as well, although frankly I think that you can have good results by working on d2 size sprites as well. I am 3D artist, but I managed to learn some 2D tweaks with my items as well so here is my try for your gloves so far.

Just add some contrast and sharpen them and here you have it.

I may have overdo it a little, but I think that those are a great base to work on unique items. I will be definitely interested in using those.

Ps. If you have not seen my items here you have little sneak peak
(spectralshard/oculus/crow caw/venom ward/ormus robe/leviathan)

I am working on mod with kingpin and Xaphan, while my job now is doing new unique looks for items that doesn't have them. You are good with capturing d2 style, so PM me if you would like to help us well.

Cheers

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:35 pm

I'm really impressed with the quality in this thread! lovely to see some artists swinging in with high quality work.

I agree with Nephretes about sharpening the images, D2's metals tend to have a rather polished look (high specular), though there is a certain "dull metal" look that is quite nice, gives a very sinister feeling, but that would be trimmed with dark colours.

Keep up the amazing work!
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Radament

Post by Radament » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Ha. High quality xD

Nephretes I agree with you about sharpening, but didn't D2 apply contrast and brightness filters already? In some of the examples I actually had to reduce the contrast to get them closer to the Diabloness. I'll give them a second test though.
Not sure about joining you in your project, I'm already working on my own little project and I don't really want to get involved in something too big as I don't spend much time on Diablo stuff, or at least try not to. Still, I could paint you a few stuff if you need them.

edit: oh yea, forgot to ask "I think that you can have good results by working on d2 size sprites as well." - what do you mean? What's a size sprite and how is it more different than a normal sprite? Also, I prefer not to base my work on the diablo stuff so that I can still work on my art skills rather than copying skills, if you're suggesting that I work from the originals. I mean, obviously the helmets in my first post (which are just edited pictures) are much better than my art, but still, I'd rather paint my stuff.
Still looking for Baal

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:13 am

Nephretes" wrote: Ps. If you have not seen my items here you have little sneak peak
(spectralshard/oculus/crow caw/venom ward/ormus robe/leviathan)
Looking insane!
Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:55 am

Yes. Diablo 2 indeed aplies filters, so the best way to check actual look is to see it in game. This was just a quick try to make them fit better, so I will be doing some more tweaks for final appearance.

Now, I assume that if you share your work you allow people to use it, but how do you feel about modyfing it simultaneously (ofc all credits included)? I am asking, because I see a lot of potential here for new items I could work with.

I understand you prefer to work on your own projects, I am okay with giving ideas and eventually have them realised if you feel to do so :) I will then mention for now, that there are no special looks for gloves, boots and belts at all, so those will be the most appreciated for me, especially for already existing uniques.

As for d2 size sprites- I think that you got me wrong. It was just a tip, that while you are drawing items in high resolution it is easy for them to be over-detailed and during the scaling they may end up badly, but I am sure you are already capable of it. This is why I was tweaking smaller images instead of bothering with changing their size in a first place. I hope that I explained it clear this time.

Cheers.

Radament

Post by Radament » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Oh yes, I realize the fact about resizing (I've been making icons for Warcraft 3 for 4 years or so (not that I was good back then, but I know the limitations of small art)).
Problem is, I don't want to work small because I gotta train my art skills, so I'm mainly doing this to better my art, rather than make good diablo 2 icons (cuz then I would just be using real photos, they always turn out better with a little tweaking).
I might work on some belts after I finish all the gloves, we'll see.
You can use and edit all my stuff even without giving me credits, I don't really care.

Sorry for the slow reply, I wasn't in town.

edit: did a quick test, as I suspected, you were right:
(they do look like {filtered})
Still looking for Baal

Radament

Post by Radament » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:52 am

Added key, shield (based on Paragon of the Amesha https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... 6a.jpg&f=1 from MTG), sword and a recolor I use for unique Tome of Identify.

Everything is in the first post.

Question: Do I have to update the thread with new posts every time or is editing the first post sufficient?

edit: Oh, and, I finally fixed the sharpness and contrast of the gauntlets. It's not ideal and I'm still not happy with it, but I'll stick with it for now. All the boots are bad though so I'll have to work more on those or create new ones.

edit2: golden plate:
sdgsdg.png
sdgsdg.png (6.39 KiB) Viewed 6465 times

(will soon add to rar)

edit3: rar added and a few more items (dc6s included for all) - check first post (I'll run out of space soon so I'll have to upload new stuff to the last posts)
Still looking for Baal

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:19 am

Question: Do I have to update the thread with new posts every time or is editing the first post sufficient?
Why not, this way you can attract more people to your topic, which imo deserves more recognition. I love the shields, I think that those are among your best items and could easily pass as Blizzard work.

Keep up good job

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:26 am

Yep. They look really good.

Cheers
AlphA

Radament

Post by Radament » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:01 pm

Well the shield on the far right is an edited image https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... 39.jpg&f=1 and as I mentioned the one in the middle is based on someone else's artwork.

I'll try designing more shields of my own but I really liked these and simply couldn't not add them to my mod.

So yea, not my work really :D I just "modded" them.
Still looking for Baal

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm

Is your Mod anything you gonna relase one day, or simply for yourself?

Cheers
AlphA

Radament

Post by Radament » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:50 pm

I doubt anyone else than myself would want to play it. It's basically Diablo with very little stuff added. I don't have much time to mod really and I don't have anywhere near as much skill as other modders here.
Still looking for Baal

Radament

Post by Radament » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Just made a quick item for the heavy leather gloves, first post updated (for download)
invvglz_large.png
invvglz_large.png (53.89 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
Still looking for Baal

Return to “Multimedia”