Newbie Questions

Information and updates for the Zy-El mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: d2vern, Kato

vitiyalis

Newbie Questions

Post by vitiyalis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:42 pm

I have a uncommon scroll named Rare Jewel to Timerwolf and I'm playing Amazon lvl 22.
My question is, is there a list somewhere that list such items? I think it's an unique item but not sure.
Since I don't know what Timberwolf item gives idk if I should waste a rare Jewel for it.
also, how to make/get Manald Heal Ring? Sorry if its wrong forum I'm new and couldnt find anything about this no the wiki.

sokol815
United States of America

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by sokol815 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:00 pm

A quick search found this link: http://suewebik.net/zyel/zyeljewel.html That describes the Timberwolf as being a ring for summoning wolves, which sounds right to me. That will help your amazon* a lot. One of the other posts in this forum includes a dump of the old wiki... that probably contains a list of all the uniques.

* I originally wrote "sorc" because I was thinking about how useful having a timberwolf ring would be for my lvl 41 sorc right now. lol.

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks a lot! As for the Wiki dump, I downloaded that but idk how to see its content. All I see are folders and inside them there's bunch of .js .css .gif files and a blank HTML file :( I don't have HTML or programming knowledge whatsoever btw

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Fair enough. The .htm files in the main folder of the wiki dump are the pages from the wiki. You can't navigate page-to-page, because the links are broken, but you can just double click one of those pages to open it. I don't have it with me right now, but look for any of the .htm files that include unique in the name.

Also, you'll probably find that for where you are right now, it's easiest to make runeword-enhanced items. I know there is a runeword page in the wiki download.

Happy ZyEling!

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Alright!
Also, another question, is there a way to remove my standard gems from my bow? It'd 3 socket's bow

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:42 pm

I don't think that has been coded for. With the update to 1.10, it's a possibility, but I don't believe Montex ever got there. I do believe the thumbnailing recipes mentioned in the documentation are still useable, but those only work for unique items, and they destroy whatever was socketed.

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:11 pm

okay thanks! btw I just made my first ChoM. I'm lvl 27 now. What do u think is the best mode for Ama? I'm using a bow. Was thinking of making 'Psycho' but idk if "weapon swing speed" includes ranged/missile weapons.
My other in mind are:
Crusader - cuz I'm in act 1 (completed 2Q) still and many monsters are Demons / Undead.
Slayer - for the general dmg but idk if the scaling is stronger than 'Psycho' and if the stats will be more useful this early in the game. I'm not aware what "ignore AC" is and google doesn't seem to give much info either.
Destroyer - same as the above, idk if the starts are that great and which scaling is better.
I don't think any of the defensive ones are that good at this point for Ama. Was thinking about Summoner or Skull too since I play with a friend Necro, would be good to have more army tanking stuff :D al tho idk if the charges will get too expensive to repair if its based like other ability charms. Have you tried these 2 and if they have charges is it possible to change Summoner and Skull back and forth and do they regenerate charges this way?

Edit: now that I think about it 'Finder' might be good too but I think I'll clear faster if my first ChoM is an offensive one.

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 am

I usually keep my first 3 or so ChoMs on healer until I have enough life regen to support some shield ChoMs(Amazing for survivability). I'm usually playing a sorc, though... so not much need for offensive ChoMs there. Icer or Flamer could be good choices. The more damage you can deal, the faster your progress will be. Be sure to pick up all the poster pieces... if you can complete a poster, most of them have very good damage bonuses.

Edit: And yes, if you just re-cube a summoner to be a summoner again, you'll get another allotment of charges just for the cost of the gem.

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Nice! Thanks, do you know if I can make runewords with blue (magic) items not just grey ones? I have a magic bow with 3 sockets and I wonder if I can runeword it?

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 pm

[quote=vitiyalis"]Nice! Thanks, do you know if I can make runewords with blue (magic) items not just grey ones? I have a magic bow with 3 sockets and I wonder if I can runeword it?[/quote]

You can make runewords with rare, magic, or regular socketed items. =) The rare ones can get particularly awesome (obviously).

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:29 am

I'm 40lvl now at Andy quest and I wanted to ask about Demon Boxes & Keys. The ModGuide.pdf specifies various recipes with them but does not specify when do they start dropping.
So any idea when will I start to get Demon Boxes & Keys and do they come together? Like at the same act/difficulty and are they the same rarity?
Also, does the "player X" command increase loot? It seems to me that it only increases the monster's defensive attributes + gives more exp.

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:21 am

The first time I remember seeing demon keys is from Mephisto. Demon boxes can fall anywhere.

Players X does increase the loot amounts. Usually when I'm playing, I'll clear an area at the highest players X I can, then switch to players 8 before opening all the chests. You'll find a lot more magic items that way.

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:04 am

Usually if you start with Zy-El mod, what most recommend is setting players127 and just go opening chests in bloodmoor. You do that until you complete your first poster, get enough gold/gems/runes/items to actually do something, then decrease to players1-16 and kill everything.

My first Zy-El Char stayed in Bloodmoor without ever killing any monster for 12-15 runs collecting chests.

On a further note - in the later stages your character WILL be absolutely overpowered. So just get through the little tedious start and you'll be rewarded greatly =)
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Hmm idk, the Players X command doesn't seem to work I think... I'm playing with a friend on TCP/IP (simulated lan) over hamachi and when I type the command (as a host) it doesn't change on his screen (it stays 1). Do we both have to change the command? Also, does it work if we type it during fight? Or it only has to be in town or something?
And sokol, does Players 8 give more loot than Players 127 from chests? Why would u switch to players8 and not 127 to open all chests?

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:15 pm

with 1.10, you now have to type /playersX... are you adding the /?

changing the number of players changes any monsters that will be spawned in the future... if you've already run through an area and change it, the monsters in that area retain their original stats.

updated ZyEl (v4.5) limits the maximum players to players 8, whereas v4.4 allowed up to 127. I'm not 100% sure on how the drop-rates match up, but Montex(he updated ZyEl to 4.5) said the drop rates should be about the same.

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:24 pm

As answered in the other topic considering 4.5 I can't play it cuz I get errors every other 2-3 sec in combat when I play TCP / IP with my friend... I can play it single player but not mutli :/
I'm playing 4.4c and the max players commands is 127. I get it on my screen when I type "players 127" but on his screen it stays 1. (the top right corner where the map / zone name is displayed)

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:57 pm

I fixed the 4.5 and started a new character (sorceress) and was wondering if there's any way to reset skill tree points since I put a little too many in charged bolt and fire bolt but I plan on making her cold sorc (maybe a little in light too) and now the points in fire bolt are completely useless I think. Is there any (cheap) way to refund my points? And is it unlimited / at what lvl do I get it available?
Sorry for asking so many questions but I can't find any info on the topic in the 4.5 .pdf guide file :(

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:21 pm

I believe the PlugY options for resetting skill/stat points were turned off. I'm not aware of any way to turn them back on. Someone else might know more.

Luckily for you, the max character level in ZyEl is 10,000. So in the long run, it really won't matter. What you should do is look up the runewords for the sorceress orbs. They add +sorc skill points in large quantities. I believe there is a rune-word browser around here somewhere. If you can't find that, though... I have a little webapp I built that allows you to search for rune words via key words (e.g. "orb" for any runeword associated with sorceress orbs) and limit the max rune to be used. It's not very pretty, but it definitely works for single word searches. Just type your keyword and hit enter. (try searching for sor or maybe orb)

http://exilania.com/zyel/

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:13 pm

I use a program named "zerb-0.3.2" from someone in this forum for runewords. As for the skill trees I know about the 10k levels but isnt every point going to be crucial at higher levels? I like min-maxing and rather than having some points in skills I never use I prefer to have them in some others but I guess there's no way :( I hoped there is some cube recipe about it or some quest reward but seems not. I think in classic diablo u could respec at Akara once every difficulty after u clear Andy or free Deckard Cain, isnt that available here?

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:40 pm

Zerb is pretty good. Don't worry about the skill points... 1 or even 5 won't be that crucial, you get so many of them that you'll definitely be able to max out your favored skills. On top of that, there are much better ways to quickly improve your skills... Check out the section titled "Additional Crafted Enchantments" in the old wiki under the page named "Crafted+Item+Recipes.htm". For belts, it includes the ability to get mana/level, life/level and + all skills into a single item. (Just make sure you use cube locks after you've already added something you want to keep.)

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:14 pm

thanks a lot for the tips!

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:56 pm

You bet! I'm currently working on a webpage that will allow searching for cube recipes. So, in theory, it should make all this information you're looking for easy to find. It'll also include all rune words, base item stats, etc. Still a work in progress, though. I might even figure out how to load up images and display them, too. I'm aiming for it to just need the .txt files/string.tbl files from any mod and it will be able to display all the recipes and such for that mod.

Also, I was looking through the 4.5 documentation... it looks like if you want to get 5 skills up to level 250, you're gonna need a good 9500 points for that. In ZyEl 4.4, the max skill level was 100, so a lot less skill points were required. Getting a skill to level 250 requires 1900 points, but skill level 100 only requires 150.

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:44 am

Seems a few info got messed up here, let me clarify:

Every Char in Zy-El has 30 Skills. Maximum Level is 100 so the maximum level required to maximize all skills available is 3000. So basically every level after 3000 you will not be able to spend the points you get.

The Maximum +allskills you can cram on 1 single item is +127. Every point thereafter is a waste as it won't be saved.

You will want to maximize physical damage, as well every other damage source available in this mod. Posters, especially the big ones help you immensely, when it comes to achieving that.

There are a bunch of monsters in this mod immune to all damage, you will want to find ways to kill them anyway (they're well worth it).

Basically you can consider the regular game as an appetizer.

Important: You can easily finish the regular game at levels 3xx. The real fun starts with the special areas. Be careful though as they're called special for a reason.

cheers
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm

gogodanny" wrote:Seems a few info got messed up here, let me clarify:

Every Char in Zy-El has 30 Skills. Maximum Level is 100 so the maximum level required to maximize all skills available is 3000. So basically every level after 3000 you will not be able to spend the points you get.

The Maximum +allskills you can cram on 1 single item is +127. Every point thereafter is a waste as it won't be saved.

You will want to maximize physical damage, as well every other damage source available in this mod. Posters, especially the big ones help you immensely, when it comes to achieving that.

There are a bunch of monsters in this mod immune to all damage, you will want to find ways to kill them anyway (they're well worth it).

Basically you can consider the regular game as an appetizer.

Important: You can easily finish the regular game at levels 3xx. The real fun starts with the special areas. Be careful though as they're called special for a reason.

cheers
Thanks for the reminder, gogodanny. We've been talking about the new updates from ZyEl 4.5 that montex worked on. I went back and looked through the calculations for how many stat points it takes to get to skill level 250, and this is what I came up with:

Code: Select all

50 * 1 = 50
50 * 2 = 100
25 * 3 = 75
25 * 4 = 100
25 * 5 = 125
25 * 6 = 150
25 * 7 = 175
25 * 8 = 200
Total: 975
I couldn't agree more with the rest of your info, though.

Thanks!

vitiyalis

Post by vitiyalis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:41 pm

I'm level 50 now and I'm having some problems. At this point I'm still at Act 1 and I can't figure if I'm playing the game wrong cuz I still can't kill Andy. I can't get past all the skeleton creatures. I'm maxing my multi shot but it feels like it does way lower damage than it did in 4.4 and I see it only does 3/4 weapon damage (so it's technically nerfed). I don't know if its cuz of that but also my shots seem to "miss" the enemies, especially those skeleton ones. I also gemmed my rare gloves with flawless skulls for the mana steal since 1 multishot drains if not half, 3/4 of my mana. And another problem is that this mana steal / lifesteal doesn't work on these skeletons so I either have to buy bunch of mana potions or waste tons of town portals to heal from Akara, in the both cases making it extremely inefficient. Anyone has some ideas on how to make it easier to get past those skeleton monsters? Btw my dexterity is kinda high too (180) so I think that's not the problem. My attack rating is around 1000 with multi shot and around 1900 for magic arrow(which I'm using on left click) but they both seem to miss a lot on those skeleton monsters :/
I saved 17 stat points in case I need some in Str for items.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of my gear and stats (0 points in jav & spear, 1 point in each skill except: Magic Arrow, Multiple Shot, Critical Strike < more points in those where Multi Shot is maxed)
http://imgur.com/a/yUsTu

Return to “Zy-El: Trial by Fire”