I've broken everything (resolved)

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Katsuni

I've broken everything (resolved)

Post by Katsuni » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Remedy for others: More than a few tiny problems, but I've eventually figured out what was wrong - I've been needing to copy over ALL of the .txt files and recreate .bins for them it seems, even for files I wasn't intending upon using. This finally came to light thanks to the tutorial over here: http://www.blizzhackers.cc/viewtopic.php?t=459161 which explained that the way the /data/global/excel/ folder hierarchy is working, is that you're basically telling it to ignore the Patch_D2.mpq file, which is supposed to have more in it than it looked like, and read from the /data/ folder's contents instead. As such, it meant I had to use the LoD1.13c list file for the Patch_D2.mpg file, not from D2exp.mpq as I'd thought. This filled out files which didn't exist within the Patch_D2.mpg file and actually got it to start doing what it was supposed to. I deleted all the binary files, adjusted this new misc.txt, and this time did an easier test, just tweaking the costs of scrolls of identify and town portal so as to ensure I was working with stuff which already existed before trying to add stuff which didn't. Loaded it up with -direct -txt, and it works properly finally. Yaaaay.

There may or may not be issues with tweaking health potions or trying to force vendors to carry runes for sale. I dunno yet, I need to test that further, but at least I can now prove that it's possible to do this stuff at least. (EDIT: Yes, I can now buy runes from vendors, all problems are fixed now. Now to get into more interesting stuff from this point onward.)

Anyway, I'm going to leave all the rest of my lengthy trials with getting this to work written out so anyone else who gets stuck can see all the things NOT to do. Hopefully it'll save someone else a headache years from now.

--------------------------------------

Or at least it keeps crashing the game and I'm not really sure what I've done wrong. Soooo... I've been toying with trying to do some minor edits, looked through the various guides that still have working links, and got the programs I needed to do stuff... aaaaand of course everything's crashing. So, going to do a quick retrace of my steps to show what I've done so hopefully someone can see where I've gone wrong because I'm out of ideas at this point.

Step 1: I screwed up a bunch of times and eventually figured out what I did wrong. There were maaaybe some corrupted files so yeah.

Step 2: I started with a fresh, brand new install of 1.14d from scratch so that all my .mpq files would be untarnished. Set up nGlide to deal with the new issues with 1.14 being {filtered} at win10, did a trial run to make sure D2LoD would run properly, it works without errors, so yay! Good starting point. The install location was put on an entirely new drive in a brand new folder with a fresh registry cleaning to make sure it couldn't even try to look at previous stuff to break down.

Step 3: Follow basic instructions; used MPQeditor to open the d2exp.mpq file, very carefully extracted over misc.txt over to the Diablo II/data/global/excel/ folder to make sure it didn't open in a text editor (like previous attempts which corrupted it, oops; this time I learned my lesson!).

Step 4: Opened the misc.txt file ONLY with D2Excel, and did a tiny change that would be easily tested with a test character: specifically, I changed the cost of the standard, minor health potions to 300 from 30, so it'd be obvious in-game. This was saved by overwriting the misc.txt file, closing out, then re-opening with D2Excel to make certain that it had saved properly, which it had. So looks good so far.

Step 5: The shortcut to the new .exe was set up with the -direct -txt tags as proper. I'd gotten this part to work properly before, so not an issue there. I go into the game and... loads up fine to start with. I can talk to Akara no problems, everything's good... I ask to trade with Akara, and it loads the trade page... almost. Everything loads except the mana potions don't show up and the game promptly crashes. I double check, and yes, the .bin files were created in the excel folder as they should have been. Reloading the game causes the same issue every time, so it wasn't just that the binaries hadn't populated yet or whatever.

Soooo... what did I screw up? Literally the only thing I changed was the cost of minor health potions, and as far as I can tell, it should load up without any complaints. Is there some specific problem with health potions and the ONE thing I tried to change just happens to have a problem with it, or is it something specific I did wrong along the way?

There's a bunch of minor tweaks I'd like to make just to make the game a bit more fun for myself without major adjustments, and if I can get this to work properly I'm planning on going back to 1.13c and making the adjustments so I can play as I'd like to within plugY, with slightly modified drop tables and gambling chances so that gold's actually worth something. Yes, I kind of blew all afternoon and night on trying to get this to work just so I would have a use for gold and to set certain bosses to have higher drop rates of different item slots so I can farm specific bosses for semi-specific gear. All the mods I've found just kind of make the game way too easy or whatever, I'd like to just do tiny tweaks to suit my particular play style and it's giving me a headache at this point.

So yeah, I dunno where I've gone wrong here and I can't get to work on stocking vendors with stuff until I've got this bit figured out. A little sad that I already broke everything just at the first basic tutorial of all things. =P

EDIT:

Further testing after waking up has shown some other odd issues. For example, a complete, clean wipe of the excel folder and replacing it with a perfectly clean extracted copy of misc.txt, which has no changes to it whatsoever, still causes the same crash at the same point. This implies that it's not the edits I made, but something wrong with the reading from the file at all. Since this's from a completely fresh, clean install, it shouldn't be crashing the moment it tries to read from the file.

I've checked with tabbing out and, when the game's loaded but no character loaded yet, just sitting at the main menu, there's no .bin files populated yet; as soon as the first test character's loaded, the .bin files populate as they should. The game SHOULD be building the .bin files off of the .txt file first and then the .mpq second, but my current guess is that it's just building the .bin files from the .mpq and... hrm. Actually, that shouldn't cause a conflict of data if the .bin and .txt files are both created from the same .mpq file, since it hasn't been changed at all. Erm... yeah, I have absolutely no idea why it's crashing now. I'm not even sure what to test at this point because the tests done so far basically say "nothing is wrong, everything works" except for the part where it crashes. And of course 1.14d's new crash report setup doesn't provide an error code or anything useful to know what part of the game's crashing. Blaaaah. I'm at a total loss for what's wrong because even just copying over the identical file and trying to load it from that is failing somehow. Maybe it's something that got changed in 1.14? Do I have to go back to like 1.13c? I was going to do that later anyway but I wanted to test the editing concept first on an install which is less of a nuisance to reinstall if it breaks.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated because at this point all my testing tells me that it should work, it just doesn't.

EDIT #2:

Even more fun. So I reinstalled a fresh d2exp.mpq, and didn't extract out the .txt file or anything, this time I just left it to run as per normal. It created the .bin files from scratch, ran fine, no problems with trading with Akara. I then deleted the .bin files so they'd repopulate again, found a compatibility setting inside of the MPQeditor and changed it to Diablo 2 LoD, tried the test again with a simple extraction of the misc.txt file over to the /excel/ folder which was already set up aaaaand... it still crashes when I talk to Akara. So it definitely has something to do with having extracted misc.txt as a file and telling the game to read it, but I'm not really sure what the problem is still, unless somehow MPQeditor is corrupting the file as it's being extracted? Are there any known issues with MPQeditor in particular? Should I change over to using MPQ Viewer instead? Something's definitely breaking at the point of the .txt file being extracted from the mpq itself... whether it's the extraction process itself, or D2 just reaaaaally doesn't want to read from a txt file, I dunno which yet. Eh, I guess I'll try editing the file within the MPQ itself without extracting it and see if that does it. Kind of would rather be working on an external file so I don't screw up the original, but I don't know what else to do here so may as well.

EDIT #3:

Ugh. So this time I discovered I can't save the misc.txt into the mpq file without opening it in notepad, even after setting the default viewer to D2excel.exe. Sooo to bypass that issue, I opened it directly from the mpq in D2excel and saved the file to the /excel/ folder directly, so that notepad could never touch it and bypassing the extraction process from MPQeditor. Still crashes at the same point. Still gets fixed when the misc.txt file is deleted. There's literally nothing changed with the misc.txt file, it should be working perfectly. I can only assume at this point that 1.14d somehow alters how it reads external .txt files so that they're no longer valid as a method of altering the game? I know a lot of mods break in 1.14 and have had issues being patched to work again due to how the file structure has changed somehow, but i'm not really sure how the 1.14 patch broke stuff so I'm uncertain if it's related. All I know at this point is that the game crashes the moment it tries to read from the misc.txt file when it's put in a folder and read from external to the MPQ, and that I don't seem to have the ability to make the adjustments and changes directly inside of the mpq file itself without corrupting the file because the viewer absolutely insists on only being able to save internally to the mpq if I use Operation > edit, which opens it in notepad.

I thought maybe it was a problem with not using a listfile for the mpq, so went and got that. As far as I was aware, all that did was ensure it listed all the files within the mpq so it could find them, so it shouldn't be related to the issues I'm having. Opened it up with the listfile, tried extracting again, same issue as before. Ugh, just going to extract the entire mpq at this point, edit the file directly, then repack it and see how that goes.

EDIT #4:

So... pulled apart the mpq into its component files, made the change to the health potions to change their cost from 30 to 300 again, copied it over, ran the game to create an updated .bin file, deleted the old one and copied the new one over, then compiled it back into a new .mpq file and replaced the game's original d2exp.mpq with it. Runs fine! I can even talk to Akara! ...But the cost of the health potions is the same. I... don't know what's wrong. Like is it not actually reading the mpq file at all? I made sure to turn off the ‑direct ‑txt modifier for this test, so it was running straight off the modified d2exp.mpq file... do I need to change the base d2data.mpq file as well? That wouldn't make any sense with an expansion character, since the d2exp version of the file has the stuff for runes and such. Ugh. It's not crashing at least, despite that I made an entirely new mpq file with an altered misc.txt and misc.bin file in it, so that's something, but it looks like the reason it's not crashing is it's just ignoring the files entirely and getting its information from somewhere else.

It has to be the d2data.mpq file... it's the only other place it could be drawing that information from. Maybe that's why it was crashing all the time? It was trying to use conflicting data from the d2data and the d2exp files? I'll let you know after I finish running more tests. Hopefully that's the answer and solves all of this. Otherwise I'm back to square one with no clue of which direction to go from there.

EDIT #5:

Nope, wasn't that. Also, I found I was using the wrong row on the misc.txt file; there's more than one position for minor health potions. Testing the various ones both as mpq compiles and as load from .txt didn't work out so I abandoned the whole dealie with using health potions as a test bed because there are too many variables that can be messing stuff up.

So, this time I started over from scratch entirely with a fresh new d2exp.mpq and ditched the health potion line of testing entirely. I was also wondering if Akara isn't somehow broken as well, so moved my tests over to Gheed instead to see if that would do anything. This time, I did a simple change to see if I could get Gheed to sell 1-3 El runes. Everything looks like it should be set up for that already, they're already listed as being set under the misc tab for where they should be sold by default, so that seems reasonable. Alright, great... let's try this again. The initial test with the ‑direct ‑txt modifier worked... pretty much as expected to be honest. Game loads fine, go talk to Gheed and no problems at first, clickie over to his misc tab aaaaand it crashes.

Alright, fine. Extract the entire d2exp.mpq file again into its component parts, delete the misc.txt and misc.bin, replace them with the updated ones I'd just finished working on, wrap it all back up into a new d2exp.mpg file, replace the one in the standard Diablo II folder with it aaaaaand! Well, it doesn't crash, but no runes, either. Once again, it's acting as if it's completely ignoring the d2exp.mpq file entirely.

Re-reading over the tutorial stuff, the stuff I had assumed was irrelevant due to being a different program running in DOS may not have been as irrelevant as I'd first thought. I may need to do this through Patch_D2.mpq instead. Time to go dig through Patch_D2.mpq to see what's inside of it and if that's where the information is being drawn from, superseding the d2exp.mpq file.

EDIT #6:

This is getting more and more interesting at how much of a pain this is to do. Alright, so Patch_D2.mpq already exists. It has files that, if removed, crashes the game as soon as you try to go into character select in single player. Trying to copy the files over along with the new ones isn't possible because "parameter is incorrect", which means I can't mash the old Patch_D2.mpq together with the newer files I want to add because they refuse to coexist. I might be able to get around that by, rather than building a new mpq from both of the parts of the previous ones, to instead take the previously existing Patch_D2.mpq and adding the new files to it. We'll see how that goes.

EDIT #7:

So, since the MPQeditor I was using can't seem to do what the tutorial suggests, I went and grabbed the beginner's kit, and MPQ2K v1.0 to go with it. Followed all the steps identically and didn't even put in the extra stuff into the batch file for viewing its progress to avoid potentially messing it up aaaaaaand!

LMPQAPI Error: Can't Initialize Library
This is internal error of the LMPQAPI library.

Complete with bad grammar.

Okay then. Now admittedly this guide was written for 1.09, not 1.14, and a lot of stuff has apparently changed since then. At this point, it looks like it's not possible to actually make any changes to 1.14d just in general. There's a good chance I'm wrong on that and I've done something terribly wrong somewhere, but as it currently stands, it doesn't appear as though it's possible to follow any of the tutorials which still exist, and the rest are filled with broken links. I'm not really sure I want to start all over again with 1.13 in the faint hope that it might work better on the previous version.

Ugh... could someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong here? Like if it's actually something I'm doing wrong, or if it really is just 1.14 sucks to work with. If I at least know that's the cause, I can muster the energy to start over again with a 1.13 install, I just don't think I can be bothered to throw this many hours at the problem again, starting over from scratch, if I can't even prove the basic concept is viable in the first place and that I'm not horribly messing everything up somehow at a fundamental level.

Blah, I dunno, I'm at a standstill for the time being.
Last edited by Katsuni on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Katsuni

Re: You might think I've broken everything as a newbie.

Post by Katsuni » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:40 am

Eh... the main post's getting messy and long. Just going to start a reply with the newer updated stuff.

So first off...

EDIT #8: Wiped 1.14d and went back to 1.13d. Lost my plugY stash sadly, but whatevs, I can get that back with some effort. The bigger issue is that it's still crashing in the same way at the same time when I try to edit the misc.txt and load it via -direct -txt. Hrm. At least now it gives me an error code: c0000005. That gives me something to work with now, yay for the older crash reports, since the 1.14 crash report doesn't tell you what broke.

With this new knowledge and searching through the forum now that I have something to work with, the suggestion is that something is broken (No, really? =P ) and the best way to check is to run the D2TXTAnalyser. Soooo I do that and I come up with...!

Code: Select all

==================
Check primary keys
==================

In Data\Global\Excel\MonStats.txt :
   * ERROR : 'Id' at row 620 (cr_lancer8) is same as in row 726 (cr_lancer8)

In Data\Global\Excel\Objects.txt :
   * ERROR : 'Id' at row 410 (408) is same as in row 413 (408)
   * ERROR : 'Id' at row 411 (409) is same as in row 414 (409)

===================
Check external keys
===================

In Data\Global\Excel\CharStats.txt :
   * ERROR : 'StartSkill' (fire bolt) at row 3 (Sorceress) not found
   * ERROR : 'StartSkill' (raise skeleton) at row 4 (Necromancer) not found

In Data\Global\Excel\MagicPrefix.txt :
   * ERROR : 'itype1' (staff) at row 447 (Burning) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype1' (staff) at row 448 (Blazing) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype1' (staff) at row 449 (Volcanic) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype1' (staff) at row 450 (Sparking) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype1' (staff) at row 451 (Charged) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype1' (staff) at row 452 (Powered) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype1' (staff) at row 453 (Chilling) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype1' (staff) at row 454 (Freezing) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype1' (staff) at row 455 (Glacial) not found

In Data\Global\Excel\MagicSuffix.txt :
   * ERROR : 'itype2' (ring ) at row 436 (of Nova Shield) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype2' (ring ) at row 437 (of Nova Shield) not found
   * ERROR : 'itype2' (ring ) at row 438 (of Nova Shield) not found

In Data\Global\Excel\Missiles.txt :
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 572 (world stone chip 1) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 573 (world stone chip 2) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 574 (world stone chip 3) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 575 (world stone chip 4) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 626 (icesparkle) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 627 (baalfx control) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 628 (baalfx spirit 1) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 629 (baalfx spirit 2) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 630 (baalfx spirit 3) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 631 (baalfx spirit 4) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 632 (baalfx spirit 5) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 633 (baalfx baal head appear) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 634 (baalfx baal head 1) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 635 (baalfx baal head 2) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 636 (baalfx baal head 3) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 637 (baalfx tyreal debris 1) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 638 (baalfx tyreal debris 2) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 639 (baalfx tyreal debris 3) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 640 (baalfx tyreal debris break) not found
   * ERROR : 'EType' ( ) at row 641 (worldstone shake) not found

In Data\Global\Excel\SetItems.txt :
   * ERROR : 'prop3' (Light) at row 125 (Naj's Circlet) not found

In Data\Global\Excel\Skills.txt :
   * ERROR : 'summon' (ClayGolem) at row 77 (Clay Golem) not found
   * ERROR : 'summon' (BloodGolem) at row 87 (BloodGolem) not found
   * ERROR : 'summon' (IronGolem) at row 92 (IronGolem) not found
   * ERROR : 'summon' (FireGolem) at row 96 (FireGolem) not found

* ERROR : 'sumskill1' (dodge) at row 34 (Valkyrie) not found
   * ERROR : 'sumskill1' (holy fire) at row 96 (FireGolem) not found

* ERROR : 'sumskill2' (avoid) at row 34 (Valkyrie) not found

In Data\Global\Excel\States.txt :
   * ERROR : 'skill' (redemption) at row 101 (redeemed) not found

In Data\Global\Excel\UniqueItems.txt :
   * ERROR : 'prop6' (*enr) at row 24 (Ironstone) not found
   * ERROR : 'prop6' (*hp) at row 38 (Blacktongue) not found
   * ERROR : 'prop6' (*hp) at row 55 (The Grim Reaper) not found
   * ERROR : 'prop6' (*charged) at row 217 (Crow Caw) not found

* ERROR : 'prop7' (*hit-skill) at row 189 (Warpspear) not found
   * ERROR : 'prop7' (*vit) at row 220 (Skullder's Ire) not found

* ERROR : 'prop8' (*gethit-skill) at row 189 (Warpspear) not found
   * ERROR : 'prop8' (*enr) at row 220 (Skullder's Ire) not found
   * ERROR : 'prop8' (*mana) at row 252 (Veil of Steel) not found
   * ERROR : 'prop8' (*mana) at row 257 (Hellslayer) not found

* ERROR : 'prop9' (*enr) at row 54 (Woestave) not found
   * ERROR : 'prop9' (*mana) at row 261 (The Cranium Basher) not found

* ERROR : 'prop10' (*enr) at row 267 (Stormspire) not found

==============
Specific tests
==============

In Data\Global\Excel\MonStats.txt :
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "skeleton1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "wraith1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "corruptrogue1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "sandmaggot1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "scarab1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "willowisp1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "arach1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "vampire1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "andariel" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "cr_archer1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "cr_lancer1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "sk_archer1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "duriel" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "mephisto" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "diablo" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (3)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "izual" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "skmage_pois1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "doomknight3" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "evilhole1" is broken somehow (found 5 elements, expected 6)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "skmage_cold1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "skmage_fire1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "skmage_ltng1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "succubus1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "succubuswitch1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "overseer1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "minionspawner1" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)
   * ERROR : chain of 'BaseId' with "baalcrab" have more than 1 empty 'NextInClass' (2)

In Data\Global\Excel\Levels.txt :

In Data\Global\Excel\Armor.txt :
   * ERROR : Item 'code' (ci2) at row 117 (Tiara) has 'normcode' (ci1), expected (ci0)
   * ERROR : Item 'code' (ci3) at row 118 (Diadem) has 'normcode' (ci1), expected (ci0)

In Data\Global\Excel\Weapons.txt :
   * ERROR : 'code' (qf1) at row 175 (KhalimFlail) is not used in Norm/Uber/Ultra code columns
   * ERROR : 'code' (qf2) at row 176 (SuperKhalimFlail) is not used in Norm/Uber/Ultra code columns
Whelp, that's interesting and all, except I didn't alter any of those .txt files, and in fact I don't have any of those files present in that location. So that's... weird. Literally the only thing I have there is misc.txt and the .bin files. So is it reading problems in the binaries or is it saying the .mpq itself is fundamentally broken? O.o;

Upon double checking, removing the log files and wiping the folder of .bin files, leaving behind only the misc.txt and misc.bin and nothing else, then running it again I get...! Ah. The same thing. Checking through the log_extracted_txt.txt file, I find it's only looking through the mpq's and ignoring the text file. Double check agaaaain and it's properly set to the correct path to find the "mod", so I'm assuming it won't see it unless it's built like an actual mod instead of just a .txt file shoved into the /data/global/excel/ folder. It definitely gets annoyed if I change the path to the folder I want it to look at, so it's supposedly looking in the right spot... it's just not finding anything there.

Meaning, as far as I can tell, it's not even looking at the .txt file I edited and which is definitely causing the crashes... but it is finding all sorts of supposed problems with the game itself. Weird. Or maybe it just doesn't see anything wrong with that .txt file... I wonder what would happen if I intentionally put some wrong information into it to see what it would do?

...Apparently nothing. it still sees nothing wrong with it. So it's not even checking the misc.txt file, which is the one thing I want it to check. Boo. I guess I'm going to have to cram this stuff into an mpq to get it to even figure out what's wrong then.

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Re: I've broken everything (resolved)

Post by devurandom » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Could be a permissions issue... Have you set the Diablo II shortcut permissions to run as administrator and also set compatibility mode as windows XP SP3 ?
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Katsuni

Post by Katsuni » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:07 pm

devurandom" wrote:Could be a permissions issue... Have you set the Diablo II shortcut permissions to run as administrator and also set compatibility mode as windows XP SP3 ?
I'm assuming you mean for running like MPQ2K and such - yes, everything in that folder which can be set to admin and compatibility mode has been, though I was setting it to XP SP2. I'll try SP3 the next attempt I make at shoving the files into an mpq directly and see if that helps. =3

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:31 pm

uhh no, I meant the Diablo II startup shortcut compatibility tab, it sets Diablo II game to start with administrator permissions.
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Katsuni

Post by Katsuni » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:34 am

Oh, yeah XD Sorry, my bad then. Yeah, I always put that on for older games since anything more than a few years old just assumes you had access to stuff which later on got shoved behind admin access only. It's one of the first steps to do for running anything! =3

Also, just want to give a semi-random thanks to talonrage, due to this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40872
And to Nefarius for this one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34583&p=245388&hili ... v1#p245388

By your powers combined, and a lot of digging through txt files, I AM CAPTAIN... well, erm, decrepify?

Ever since I got stuff working, I've been constantly pausing my gameplay to tweak little things as I think of them. This was the result of my first addition of synergies to a spell! Now there's finally a reason to bother putting points into a necromancer's other curses. ^.^

Still working out a formula for a better diminishing returns formula, though. I took apart the dm12 formula earlier today: ((110*lvl) * (b-a))/(100 * (lvl+6)) + a
and it explains why it plateaus out so fast. Working on the standard armour formula: ((armour)*coefficient)/(1+coefficient*(armour) does a bit better of a job of a smoother curve since it's a linear increase and guarantees it can't hit over 100%, unlike the D2 formula which I've discovered can break 100+ under certain situations due to the +a variable at the end. Unfortunately, setting it so that it reaches above 66% or so is a bit more tricky without causing the first few points to spike in value, so it basically winds up with the same problem more or less. Some skills I've started just flattening out with ln12 instead, but eh, it'd be nicer to have a more gradually decreasing curve than a linear increase for some things.

I'll have to look up various ways to generate different curves mathematically, but that'll have to wait for later. Anyway, thanks again to the people on here who have so many different posts and tutorials and so on up! It was a bit tricky to get started, but once I got going it's been a lot easier to find information on what I've been looking for. Having over a decade of information and a good search function helps a ton too. <3

Return to “General Mod Making”