Diablo 2 Mod Testing

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

fernsehen123
Germany

Diablo 2 Mod Testing

Post by fernsehen123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi,

how do you test your mod?

just by making a lvl 1 sorc and rushing into the Den of Evil ??
playing for 100 hours to see everything that you implented?

or use a hero editor? I do not know if this is still possible in LoD 1.14D, because I did not find the save file for my char...

or do you change some variables like the xp gain / item drops, so that you see everything faster?

any ideas are welcome :)

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Re: Diablo 2 Mod Testing

Post by k0r3l1k » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Depends on what I am testing, most cases I as xp so I can get to a good level depending on my needs. I use cube a lot to give stats and skills for testing.

Most of my testing is done in act 1 unless it's something specific to a different act.

Ogodei
Senior Moderator
Angel
Italy

Hand-picked

Post by Ogodei » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:59 am

If you have to test monsters, (AI,skills,general behavior), or character skills then go with a cheater char (or cheat with cube as K0r3l1k said)
Same if you have to test some mechanics you added in your mod.
If you want to test your mod's playability and real gameplay, I'd recommend a playthrough with a fresh char :)

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 am

Ogodei wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:59 am
If you have to test monsters, (AI,skills,general behavior), or character skills then go with a cheater char (or cheat with cube as K0r3l1k said)
Same if you have to test some mechanics you added in your mod.
If you want to test your mod's playability and real gameplay, I'd recommend a playthrough with a fresh char :)
what do you mean with "cheat with cube"?
should I add cube recipes that make me able to convert a trash item that drops regulary into a unique item i wanna see and test?

gcc
Paladin
Austria

Post by gcc » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:02 pm

You can also us misc.txt to create potions or tokens or something like that to increase experience so that leveling is not needed at all. Almost everything else can be done with items, there is nothing bad in creating a charm with +1 teleport, +2000 life and +1000 mana if you just want to test something on higher difficulties and need to rush through the game easily.

To get to lvl X simply create an item in misc.txt with following properties:
(copy thawing potion so that you dont have to do more stuff manually)
pspell=3
stat1=experience
stat1calc=whatever experience you need for lvl X

Then create a cube recipe for that item or make it accessible from vendors.
After using the item, simply kill any monster to level up.
Changing xp requirements for levels is possible too, but this way you can leave the experience table as it is.

Using character editors will only work as long as nothing major has been changed. If you alter save bits for stats that get saved on the character, you will not be able to use an editor so simply use cube recipes, charms and potions. With pspell 3 you can add any stat that gets saved with your character permanently - hitpoints, dexterity, skill points, experience, etc. Stats that do not get saved can also be added, but this effect gets lost when you exit the game unless you change this in itemstatcost.txt

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:55 am

gcc wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:02 pm
You can also us misc.txt to create potions or tokens or something like that to increase experience so that leveling is not needed at all. Almost everything else can be done with items, there is nothing bad in creating a charm with +1 teleport, +2000 life and +1000 mana if you just want to test something on higher difficulties and need to rush through the game easily.

To get to lvl X simply create an item in misc.txt with following properties:
(copy thawing potion so that you dont have to do more stuff manually)
pspell=3
stat1=experience
stat1calc=whatever experience you need for lvl X

Then create a cube recipe for that item or make it accessible from vendors.
After using the item, simply kill any monster to level up.
Changing xp requirements for levels is possible too, but this way you can leave the experience table as it is.

Using character editors will only work as long as nothing major has been changed. If you alter save bits for stats that get saved on the character, you will not be able to use an editor so simply use cube recipes, charms and potions. With pspell 3 you can add any stat that gets saved with your character permanently - hitpoints, dexterity, skill points, experience, etc. Stats that do not get saved can also be added, but this effect gets lost when you exit the game unless you change this in itemstatcost.txt
thx!

I created a Misc - with XP Stamina Potion.txt file for debugging purpose only.
I re-designed the stamina potion into a XP potion^^

Hells_Lord
Paladin
United States of America

Post by Hells_Lord » Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 pm

This may be an old post but another way to test a certain act without rushing yourself is the target line commands such as -act5. Then you use potions and what not to increase or decrease your exp to the desired level.
Now Modding 1.14D

Holder/Bag Item Tutorial

Return to “General Mod Making”