Changing monsters res makes odd changes

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

redicomerade
Poland

Changing monsters res makes odd changes

Post by redicomerade » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Hello everyone,
First of all i know the forum is almost dead, last post 2015, but its still the best place for aid.

Im having a problem with two mods valhalla 5.03and snej mod. Thats my favorite ones as i like high level character mods and new uniques. But..
Monsters immunites are driving me insane as you play as one element char example java, and there is no points left for dual element char. So i juat wanted to change ONLY monsters res.

I ONLY changed in monstat.txt resistances from immune, above 100, to 85. And...

In valhalla its working but in places like tristram and arcane sanctuary where are used new skins for this levels the game crash. I must revert changes for that levels only.
Had the same crash in catacombs 3 act 1. Thats no big deal but also act 1 cave had cool feature in this mod where are only diablos and they drops uniques. But after changes in this place there are regular monsters only. Also in hell monsters have very low chance to be hit, i check the monstat and they had in hell chance to block even 200 wow. Bowa with strafe and 10 arrows in one monster didnt hit the monsters with 3 attacks. Thats 30 arrows missed with 95 percent chance to hit. So a feature made the game only annoying. Changed it and its working good now.

Now in snej its the same. Changes are in normal game. In act 1 uber dungeon named your death there is no monsters at all. Nothing, empty levels. There were normally monsters with new skins not vanilla d2.

Whyyyy? I ONLY changed resistances ehh
Now i understand that these mods are some persons hard work and they own the rights to them. But cmon its 2018 and these immunities are pain in the ass and making play in single player sooo harsh. Any idea guys?

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Re: Changing monsters res makes odd changes

Post by k0r3l1k » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 am

It's most likely that you are editing the text file from vanilla, then replacing the mod file, which will lead to missing monster information and invalid references.

redicomerade
Poland

Post by redicomerade » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 am

The mod is patchd2 mpq file only. Im unpacking txt files make changes then even packing it back to mpq.
Any suggestions how to make it work? Immunities in game are gone but the w monsters dissapear

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:36 am

Patchd2 requires .bin files instead of .txt. Also, didnt't you try to create data directory and open the game with -direct -txt method, while still using modded patchd2? If so, then this may cause some unexpected results.

redicomerade
Poland

Post by redicomerade » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:15 am

I use direct txt, make change in txt files, pack txt to mpq, open game to generate modded bin files, once again copy everything back to mpq. The quide was suggesting such thing.

The problem is the same even with normal original patchd2mpq from the mod, with no changes to it, and using direct txt and changing monstat.txt. The same
I dont understand why its wrong. Well its working as i wrote but why invisible monsters and other changes

redicomerade
Poland

Post by redicomerade » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 am

K0r3l1k
I have txt files from patchd2mpq from mod. So im quessing it should be not vanilla but from mod with new monsters. Dont know
Nizari
So when i use direct txt i should copy back vanilla patchd2mpq??

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:35 am

No, strange things may happen if you would actually play via direct txt with changed files and still use modded patchd2.
I'm affraid the modmaker packed correct bin files into patchd2 and some outdated txt files to prevent others from modding his mod.

redicomerade
Poland

Post by redicomerade » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 am

Awww that would be the case, yes. Changing monstat.txt where there are no new monsters forcing the game to use it so new monsters dissapear. Ehhh so shame. That would be the case. Ty for help im wondering if theres a possibility to contact modmaker heh its 2018 they should be happy that someone still play they hard work only wants so little changes for their own needs not sharing it hmm
Thank you for replies

Return to “General Mod Making”