Nizari's & Jetaman's Treasure Goblin Plugin [all versions]

This forum is for members to post news that will be displayed on the main page / news portal, any news relating to Diablo 2 Mod Making including mod and patch releases amongst other similar subjects.

Moderator: AdiTT

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Nizari's & Jetaman's Treasure Goblin Plugin [all versions]

Post by Nizari » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:51 pm

Introduction of Treasure Goblin Plugin

Hello, I am Nizari and I'v been reading Phrozen Keep regularly since about 10 years. Somewhere at the end of 2017, I have joined the Discord channel, promising myself to register on the forum too at some point. In december I have asked Jetaman if he would be able to rip Treasure Goblin animations from Diablo 3. I always wanted to implement these exciting monsters in the mod I'm working on since years, also, I always wanted to release some nice public plugin, to give something from me to the community, which would be useful for other modders. Jetaman has agreed on helping to achieve this together. All those things gave me a perfect opportunity/reason to register on the forum and great material for the plugin.
The first animations we had were looking like this:
Additionally, the death animation has been completly broken and unable to be ripped.
Not long after, with my suggestion of merging D2's red portal animation with the goblin, Jetaman did this fantastic thing:
We had all the animations ready. I have also succesfully implemented it into the game and configured everything. At this moment 2 problems occured: how to make the portal animation transparent and how to make the goblin truly and permanently dissapear after he "runs away" through his portal (believe me, it's not as easy as it sounds). Thanks to Necrolis, who has taught me the new thing about cof files and fixed one of them, the first problem has been annihilated :) The second problem has been fixed thanks to my brainstorm with Ogodei after we got to conclusion that 3 things are needed: submerge/any other layer changing skill, very long monster sequence and a method to force the unit to erase (yes, erase, not kill) itself while submerged and do not drop any items. I did all of this thanks to the empty frames which Jetaman has added in "escape into a portal" anim, so the goblin is invisible while at the other layer (submerged), playing this invisible anim for extreme ammount of time via a sequence and using restore = 0 in MonStats2 :idea:
The very last thing to do were the original D3 sounds. I educated myself on how to extract and convert D3 fsb sound files, however my old OS (win xp) didn't let me do it. And here I have to mention Black_Eternity who extracted the files for me :) I did the conversion and implemented them to finish the job.
Ok then, the Treasure Goblin has been completly ready, but wait, why not to add the other goblin kinds, such as Gelatinous Sire or Gem Hoarder? Jetaman has began his work on ripping all of them, while I'v been planning how to exactly implement them. Unfortunately not all can be used in D2, for example, we got this unholy abomination:
When all of this has been done, we encountered another problem, which was the half transparency of Gelatinous Sire. In Diablo 3, it looks ghost-like (bubble-like), however in Diablo 2:
The first of my ideas were to add fade via MonProp (well, duh?). Unfortunately it affected the portal animation too, which was unacceptable. Jetaman has came up with an answer to that! Make the goblins a multipart animations! Soon he made jumping and portal anim as a separated layers. Thanks to the knowledge I previously gained from Necrolis, the cof file has been properly configured, resulting in half visible goblin and fully visible portal.

In Diablo 3 we have blood shards and Blood Thief dropping them. In Diablo 2 we have runes. That's why Blood Thief got renamed to Rune Hoarder. As runes are meant (at least in vanilla) to be extremly rare, Rune Hoarder received a special spawning method (you can read more about it in Main README article of the download). Here is the animation of it, by the way it is the last animation created:
Implementing this was a bit problematic. S1, S2, S3 and S4 animation modes, when used to spawn/summon an unit got bugged speed (sometimes they do not display properly). You can observe it by summoning some Druid wolves. In case of our goblin, when spawned, his portal sometimes appeared normally and sometimes it didn't. That is why I had to use SC mode instead, which causes a nasty side effect - goblin can be attacked and even killed when appearing, while there is still only portal animation.
I hope you will all like the way the whole plugin is done, even with this 1 flaw.

Plugin's short description

The plugin contains goblins, fully configured and ready to use/be implemented in your mod in any game version. The archive has 2 methods of implementing them by yourself:
- pasting the data folder to vanilla game (for people which would like to add them to vanilla game)
- 1 by 1 (for modders)

Goblins included (all with good simulation of their Diablo 3's behavior):
- Treasure Goblin
- Gilded Baron
- Gelatinous Sire (including his spawns)
- Gem Hoarder
- Blood Thief, starring as Rune Hoarder

Preview

Download

Bonus Downloads
for making you read soo much

Here is a little gift, token of Odious Collector goblin for those of you, which got some crafting materials in your mods and would like to have a goblin dropping them too :wizard:
You just have to make it the same as Gem Hoarder, but dropping crafting materials/any other things of your desire instead of gems.

Happy Modding!
Last edited by Nizari on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Re: Nizari's & Jetaman's Treasure Goblin Plugin [all versions]

Post by jetaman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Finally. I am happy to finally see it released. Good job Nizari!

Kieran
Senior Moderator
Angel
Great Britain

Hand-picked

Post by Kieran » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Awesome mate congrats on the release!

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:47 pm

So well implemented; great job!
Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Xaphan
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel
France

Post by Xaphan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:46 am

Holy cow, and I had started to do something like this in Lrdo for quite some time now... but it was way less polished than this :lol:

(Also, very clever use of the submerge mechanic, completely forgot about that while dealing with the same problem than you).

Very nice job, that look awersome !

Texalic
Paladin

Post by Texalic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 pm

That is fantastic, great job Nizari. :cheer:

FearedBliss
United States of America

Post by FearedBliss » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Haha this is great. Congrats on the hard work and release.

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:49 am

I honestly have to say that I am beyond speechless. This is one of the most insane implementations i've witnessed and that just shows how incredible things can still be achieved with D2 LoD.

Congratulations to everybody who worked on this - this is simply ... *nowordsfound*

Cheers
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:37 pm

I'm very happy seeing such positive opinions :) Thank you everyone.

kpepp

Post by kpepp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Dear Nizari and Jetaman,
Great work! :D Unfortunately, the rar archives seem to be corrupted ("The archive is either in unknown format or damaged") :( . I cannot open them neither with winrar nor with 7zip. Is it possible to reupload them?
Many thanks in advance!

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:58 pm

They were packed with WinRar 5.50. Did you try to redownload?

kpepp

Post by kpepp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks so much, it worked with Winrar 5.60 :)

legendhy1992
China

Post by legendhy1992 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:34 am

Thanks for your incredible work!However I have problem with it,when I add the gobin in level.txt,they don't show up as my imagination.So I replace all the monsters in cave by goblin,but the cave became empty in game.So,what is the right way to add these goblin?
(I'm not a native speaker,so plz forgive my poor english.)

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:30 am

That is because they are extremly rare to appear. You should read the main readme article carefully. To make them less rare, you have to increase the number of SparsePopulate in MonStats.txt

legendhy1992
China

Post by legendhy1992 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Nizari wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:30 am
That is because they are extremly rare to appear. You should read the main readme article carefully. To make them less rare, you have to increase the number of SparsePopulate in MonStats.txt
Thanks!

weapon-x
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
Philippines

Post by weapon-x » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:46 am

Awesome work :)
" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "

~Mark Twain

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:34 am

Thank you :)

Darkquake
Australia

Post by Darkquake » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Wow just saw this it's incredable! 100% going to play around with this :)
I make things? I make things.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/darkquake

thaison
Paladin
Vietnam

Post by thaison » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:05 am

great, excellent :D

KHAYOSSUS
Portugal

Post by KHAYOSSUS » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 am

great job

Darkquake
Australia

Post by Darkquake » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 am

Questions.

Specifically in normal mode all gilded baron's in all acts spawn with the decard cain sprite. In NM and H they correctly share the treasure goblin %Y sprite. Ideas why? Possible Fixes?
All goblins have state 184-uber? no idea what this does or if there is any point to changing it.
Is there a way to force spawn them as individuals or only as a normal mob? While running into a boss pack of goblins is cool that's not how I want it to work personally.
Does the chance column in MonProp only take integers or is there a decimal value I can input to make things say 1/1000 for spawning a runehoarder?

Edit: I'm a dummy, originally this post was me trying to get help working out problem I had with running it. Later I remembered that the tbl editor doesn't like to cooperate with system locales other than enligh variants so I swaped back re-edited the tags and it all worked

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:53 am

I have no idea what may cause your deckard cain issue, however that has something to do with your mod itself.

State 184 (uberminion) prevents the monster from having DD mode and creates self corpse explode visual effect in place of DT anim. As I wrote in my first post, some animations from D3 are completly broken in D2, two of them were the goblin dying and corpse effects.

Yes, you can prevent them from spawning as uniques and champions, however that would require a simple code edit to fix umon and numon columns of Levels.txt.

MonProp won't accept a decimal, only ints.

Darkquake
Australia

Post by Darkquake » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks for the answers, I did read the first post saying some anims were broken didn't realise state 184 was the fix for it. Now time to fix cain scurrying of at 60mph lol

Darkpaw57

Post by Darkpaw57 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Very nice plugin. Glad to see some work is still going on for a great game series.

Long time reader, recent member

jessedazebra
Paladin
Zimbabwe

Post by jessedazebra » Fri May 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks for the plugin, these goblins are really entertaining :D
Combined it with Gem Bag plugin, works just fine.

Return to “Member news”