Question about color-shifting on Unique/Set Items

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Darion

Question about color-shifting on Unique/Set Items

Post by Darion » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Besides the ChrTransform (controling which color to shift), is there another "thing" that controls which PART of the armor will be color-shifted?
Like shako is completely missing this "thing", so its in-game appearance is not green as it supposed to be.

Anybody can help or explain? Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Darion on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fawahar

Re: Question about color-shifting on Unique/Set Items

Post by Fawahar » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:39 pm

The color change variations comes from the different design of the class armor. Generally the color is the same. In my experience the differences are not so visible when a color which is not extreme in its saturation. it has to do something with the diablo 2 palettes. I try to evade using colors like Super Black, Dark Blue, Dark red or Purple. Basically each "basic color group" has few variations, the end variation is usually a risky one to use.

Like:

group 1
-gray
-black
-super black

group 2
-light blue
-dark blue
-epic blue

group 3
-rose red
-dark red
-blood red

group 4
-forest green
-green
-dark green

group5
-dark gold
-gold
-light gold

group6*
-brownie
-some crap
-purple
-white

The ones in bold are the tones that can make the most problems. That's as much as I can tell you...
As I look into the cave
The fog doth fill my eyes
Inside lies the answer
A cause for my demise

Darion

Post by Darion » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Fawahar wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:39 pm
Basically each "basic color group" has few variations, the end variation is usually a risky one to use.
Thank you sir, for sharing your experience with these colors. But I don't think colors can cause the "invisibility" issue.

Say another example: Heavenly Garb Light Plate, which has light blue (cblu in txt) color shift, when wearing by a Sorc, it can be seen clearly as a blue armor (medium type).
EXCEPT its heavy shoulder pads are still yellow (undyed), so it's pretty fair to say even Blizzard made a mistake here, on which parts of the Light Plates should be color-shifted.

I don't know if this is all hard-coded or modifiable through txt editing, but I have tried changing the armors' alternategfx, rSPad, Torso and stuff in Armor.txt, no luck.
The game does its own decision on what/where to color shift. Really hope someone can help clarify this. :-|

Fawahar

Post by Fawahar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Darion wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:41 pm
But I don't think colors can cause the "invisibility" issue.
If used with diablo 2 "units palette" pure black is rendered invisible. ;)

And, yes, .txt files do not hold the information you seek, as far as I know, so maybe hardcoding will be necessary to solve the issue. Sorry, can't help you further, hopefully someone with greater experience will join the topic...
As I look into the cave
The fog doth fill my eyes
Inside lies the answer
A cause for my demise

b1n

Post by b1n » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:58 am

There's a solution for shako
Change the column Transform to 8 in armor.txt
But it looks kinda weird especially in sorc (colors the face and the hair)
Diablo II Evolution

Return to “General Mod Making”