Pet Summoning Aura and Wearwolf

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

Wuldreg

Pet Summoning Aura and Wearwolf

Post by Wuldreg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:08 pm

First off I would appreciate it if anyone could help me figure out how to make an aura that summons pets. As far as I am aware it is possible as I have seen it mentioned here and there such as by Ogodei on this forum who said they know how to make one in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=63532. Unfortunately no mention was made as to how such a thing can be done. This thread: viewtopic.php?t=40014 back from 2006 gave a bit more info but I have as of yet to get it to work. According to that thread you just need to take a summoning skill, set the aura column to 1, and the periodic column to say 10 for the summon frequency. I do not know if they meant perdelay or if that was even a column in skills.txt back then but it makes more sense to me if it was perdelay. Nevertheless I have tried both the periodic column and the perdelay column but neither worked for me.

Secondly (and what I am actually trying to do) is make a skill that applies 1 state to me (in this case to transform into a werewolf) and another state (as an aura) to me and my pets. Basically I want to transform into a wearwolf and have my minions and I run faster when I do. I was aware of the possibility of making an aura that summons and had a eureka moment where I thought I figured it out, but if the above is the way to do it then I think I am mistaken. My idea was to make a short radius aura that applies the state that changes me into a wearwolf, and also have it periodically summon an invisible minion that possesses an aura that increases speed. This way I could apply two different auras using one skill. But it looks like the above uses the skill functions of a pet summon and not an aura. So even if I summon a dummy pet with my speed boost aura I couldn't use the skill to apply my wearwolf transform aura. Alas, I may simply not be able to apply two different states to two different targets with one skill. The only skill I know to do this is cloak of shadows and while I have managed to get it to work like the above it seems to have a fatal flaw. It indeed can apply an aurastate to me and an auratargetstate to my pets (when I change the aura filter) but for the duration it screws up the ai of my pets and they just stand there. This effect as far as I can tell is hardcoded and I have given up on that approach.

Ultimately I may not be able to do what I want to but if anyone can help me figure out how to make a summon aura I would take that as a nice consolation prize :mrgreen:

Ogodei
Senior Moderator
Angel
Italy

Hand-picked

Re: Pet Summoning Aura and Wearwolf

Post by Ogodei » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Hello,

As mentioned in the thread you linked, a pet summoning aura is possible indeed, but the aura will not stop summoning minions once you reach the summoning cap. So, you will have your summons periodically die to make rooms for new ones.

As for your base summoning skill, I would pick clay golem and then turn it into an aura.

Wuldreg

Re: Pet Summoning Aura and Wearwolf

Post by Wuldreg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:43 pm

I switched to clay golem and got the summon aura to work.

Just for anyone else who might be wondering precisely what you do: change aura to 1, periodic to 10 (or whatever), and make sure to add a state to aurastate. The last part I hadn't been doing. I am not sure this method works with all summons, but given what you said Ogodei then I guess it doesn't work with all summons. I had previously been using the druid wolf summons as a base skill.

Well the good news is that that seems like excellent way to burn mana. Better news is that you can use this summon aura to also transform. Although I don't believe you can get any of the auracalcs to work on anything other than the minion. Strange, potentially very bad news, is that this also transforms your summoned minion. I have it set to an aura range of zero just to be sure that it doesn't affect my other summons, which it doesn't. But, nevertheless, it still transforms my aura summoned minions into wearwolves no matter how far from me they are. That leaves me to wonder if you can make monsters immune to auras. Which, if you can, I should be able to summon my invis aura granting dummy minion and transform into a wearwolf using the same skill.

Thanks for the help Ogodei. Thanks also for your very helpful tutorials.

Edit: You can make a summon aura using Hydra as well which means your pet has a duration. This is important for me so that (if I can get everything else to work) my invisible dummy aura minion doesn't stick around after I stop using the summon aura and transform back into a human. On a side note this seems like a promising skill in its own right.

Return to “Skill Clinic”