Updating a Mod from 1.09 to 1.13.

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Lakroth
United States of America

Updating a Mod from 1.09 to 1.13.

Post by Lakroth » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:09 pm

Hello! I imagine this has been asked and answered but I'm having trouble finding it. I am new to modding D2 and am wanting to update a mod from 1.09 to 1.13. I have read through the Idiots Guide to Mod Making but I didn't find it there. This is a mod created by my dad and was hoping I could update it so we can have access to the added content and keep what was modded. Hopefully my request makes sense and thanks for any help!

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: Updating a Mod from 1.09 to 1.13.

Post by Cypress » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:19 pm

The best way I can think of doing that is to use the fixed 1.13c txt files (viewtopic.php?t=56033) and then manually conveting it into this mod with AFJ Sheet Editor (viewtopic.php?t=63847).

As to how difficult this would be, it depends on the mod itself. If the mod only makes a few changes and has documentation, then you could just directly modify 1.13c itself to match the mod. If it is a very large mod, then you'd probably want to copy and paste rows/columns from the mod's 1.09 txt files directly and into the 1.13c txt files. Regardless, if you should run into any difficulties in this process, I'd be glad to offer help.

And if you don't mind my asking, what is the name of the mod? I've played a bunch of 1.09 mods, and I'm curious if it is one I'd recognize.

Lakroth
United States of America

Post by Lakroth » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:07 am

Thanks, Cypress! It's a mod that was never made public but did make a lot of changes. The patch.mpq file is >5MB so quite different then the original 1.3MB patch.mpq.

I'm not really sure where to begin, unfortunately. I am pretty sure there were also edits made beyond just the .txt files so we may be out of luck.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Are there any dll files that come with this mod? If not, then there probably aren't any hardcoded edits. And even if there are, if you have a list of changes made in the mod then I might be able to come up with softcoded alternatives. To begin, you'll want to extract the data folder from Patch_D2.mpq if you haven't already, then start directly replacing sections of the 1.13 txt files with the changes from the mod. It's a straightforward process, just very tedious. If the mod is simple enough and has full documentation, then you don't even necessarily need to do any copy pasting, and can instead just use it as a blueprint for your 1.13 edits.

Lakroth
United States of America

Post by Lakroth » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:20 am

Well that seems reassuring, not seeing any new or differences in the dll's so we may be in luck with no hard coding - I just remember my dad working with a hex editor with the mod. Maybe he didn't make any changes, just referencing stuff...? I'll see what I can accomplish with copying over the added lines from the .txt files in the MPQ. Thanks again for the help!

Kieran
Senior Moderator
Angel
Great Britain

Hand-picked

Post by Kieran » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Hello mate, just be careful with "copying" over lines - there are a lot of differences between v1.09 text files and 1.10+!

Return to “General Mod Making”