Question about color-shifting on Unique/Set Items

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderators: GuyAskingQuestion, Doombreed-x, Nefarius, talonrage

Darion

Question about color-shifting on Unique/Set Items

Post by Darion » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi everyone. Totally new to moding and stuff in D2, and this is my first post ;)

So I recently found that in D2's armor dyeing system (color shifts of most Set/Unique items), the ChrTransform parameter (column from Unique/Set .txt files) doesn't seem to do all the job. I'll just use expamples to illustrate.

1st example is our good old shako. In UniqueItems.txt, its color shift (ChrTransform) is "cgrn", however its in-game appearance is just a normal brown hat (not looking green at all). Meanwhile, most other Unique Helms' in-game appearances are dyed properly with thier own color shifts (like the shiny Sigon helm), just not our shako (maybe some others more).

2nd example is the Hawkmail Scale Mail (also with a "cgrn" color shift). Normally when wearing by a Sorc, most of its body parts (torso, shoulders, arms and boots) are dyed green, except her bare legs (which is perfect). But when wearing by a Pala (armored legs), it's a full-body green dye. And if I change the Scale Mail's shoulder components (rSPad & lSPad) from 1 (Medium) to 2 (Heavy) in Armor.txt, the new Hawkmail isn't dyed properly, with the new heavy shoulders in yellow (no dye), other body parts still dyed in green.

Another similar expample is the Rattlecage Gothic Plate on a Sorc (whole-body purple dye). If I change Gothic Plate's legs from 2 (Heavy, armored legs) to 1 (Medium, bare legs) in Armor.txr, the new Rattlecage will still do its whole-body purple dye, even shift the Sorc's BARE legs to purple color, which looks definitely broken (and disturbing).

So my question is, besides the ChrTransform (controling which color to shift), is there another "thing" that controls which PART of the armor will be color-shifted?
Like shako is completely missing this "thing", so its in-game appearance is not green as it supposed to be.
And the other 2 unique armor have their "things" different for each class, and their values are FIXED, so changing the version (Medium and Heavy) of the base armor components won't change this "thing", thus the game still dyes the armor parts like the way they were dyed in their original versions (hence the purple legs, or yellow shoulders on a full green suit).

I think I definitely missed some important part here but can't find the answer from the forum or anywhere.
Anybody can help or explain? Thanks a lot.

Fawahar

Re: Question about color-shifting on Unique/Set Items

Post by Fawahar » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:39 pm

The color change variations comes from the different design of the class armor. Generally the color is the same. In my experience the differences are not so visible when a color which is not extreme in its saturation. it has to do something with the diablo 2 palettes. I try to evade using colors like Super Black, Dark Blue, Dark red or Purple. Basically each "basic color group" has few variations, the end variation is usually a risky one to use.

Like:

group 1
-gray
-black
-super black

group 2
-light blue
-dark blue
-epic blue

group 3
-rose red
-dark red
-blood red

group 4
-forest green
-green
-dark green

group5
-dark gold
-gold
-light gold

group6*
-brownie
-some crap
-purple
-white

The ones in bold are the tones that can make the most problems. That's as much as I can tell you...

Darion

Post by Darion » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Fawahar wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:39 pm
Basically each "basic color group" has few variations, the end variation is usually a risky one to use.
Thank you sir, for sharing your experience with these colors. But I don't think colors can cause the "invisibility" issue.

Say another example: Heavenly Garb Light Plate, which has light blue (cblu in txt) color shift, when wearing by a Sorc, it can be seen clearly as a blue armor (medium type).
EXCEPT its heavy shoulder pads are still yellow (undyed), so it's pretty fair to say even Blizzard made a mistake here, on which parts of the Light Plates should be color-shifted.

I don't know if this is all hard-coded or modifiable through txt editing, but I have tried changing the armors' alternategfx, rSPad, Torso and stuff in Armor.txt, no luck.
The game does its own decision on what/where to color shift. Really hope someone can help clarify this. :-|

Fawahar

Post by Fawahar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Darion wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:41 pm
But I don't think colors can cause the "invisibility" issue.
If used with diablo 2 "units palette" pure black is rendered invisible. ;)

And, yes, .txt files do not hold the information you seek, as far as I know, so maybe hardcoding will be necessary to solve the issue. Sorry, can't help you further, hopefully someone with greater experience will join the topic...

Return to “General Mod Making”