Boss Mod issues

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Post Reply
strafano
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 am

Boss Mod issues

Post by strafano » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi,
i am trying to make a boss mod following the sugestions reported here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40224
but i am encountering some issues.
THe boss that i spawn (Andariel, mephisto, duriel, baal and diablo) are very overpowered having unexpected immunities, auras (e.g. fanaticism), curses (e.g. amplify damage) and so on.
Anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

User avatar
csguak
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:15 am
Location: USA

Re: Boss Mod issues

Post by csguak » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:22 am

Immunities happen if you messed around with these columns in Monstats.txt
Image
Even if you don't put 100% resist, certain modifiers such as stone skin has 80% physical damage resistance.
If you already put 20% dmg resist, the monster will now become Physical immune. Same thing with Magic resist, Mana Burn, Cold, Fire, Lightning enchanted.

Auras and curses affixes happen if you spawn the monsters with Umon1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 column in Levels.txt

Now, the original prime evils already have lots of resist on them, with the exception of Andariel who has -50% resist to fire.
All it takes is one or two lightning enchanted, cold enchanted, fire enchanted modifier for them to become immune to elemental attacks. In fact, any prime evil on Hell difficulty with Stone skin modifier will always be physical immune.

strafano
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 am

Re: Boss Mod issues

Post by strafano » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:50 am

csguak wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:22 am
Immunities happen if you messed around with these columns in Monstats.txt
Image
Even if you don't put 100% resist, certain modifiers such as stone skin has 80% physical damage resistance.
If you already put 20% dmg resist, the monster will now become Physical immune. Same thing with Magic resist, Mana Burn, Cold, Fire, Lightning enchanted.

Auras and curses affixes happen if you spawn the monsters with Umon1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 column in Levels.txt

Now, the original prime evils already have lots of resist on them, with the exception of Andariel who has -50% resist to fire.
All it takes is one or two lightning enchanted, cold enchanted, fire enchanted modifier for them to become immune to elemental attacks. In fact, any prime evil on Hell difficulty with Stone skin modifier will always be physical immune.
Thank you csguak for precious information. As a consequence, how can I spawn those Bosses without altering their original stats?

User avatar
Nizari
Senior Moderator
Crusader
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 pm
Poland

Re: Boss Mod issues

Post by Nizari » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:26 pm

Your problem is caused by MonUMin and MonUMax fields in levels.txt. Set them both to 0, for all difficulties.

strafano
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 am

Re: Boss Mod issues

Post by strafano » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Nizari wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:26 pm
Your problem is caused by MonUMin and MonUMax fields in levels.txt. Set them both to 0, for all difficulties.
I had already tried this but without lucky.

After other tests i realized that the problem seems to be related to the area in which i want Bossess to spawn.
For example, issues occur in the Underground Passage Level 2 while everything goes right when i use the Blood Moor

strafano
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 am

Re: Boss Mod issues

Post by strafano » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 pm

I am trying to clone prime Evils using the FIXED monstats.txt file and giving them a new name via tbl string file. What I observed is that the names appear as intended. Conversely there are some troubles with the animations. Mephisto clone is invisible, Baal summon some skeletons instead of tentacles....
Any suggestion?

User avatar
csguak
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:15 am
Location: USA

Re: Boss Mod issues

Post by csguak » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:19 pm

What do you mean when you say "trying to clone prime Evils"?

You should NEVER touch any of these columns, especially in the FIXED monstat.txt. (well maybe except translvl).
Image

If you move even one monster around, your game now is broken. 8-O

Please see these explanations.
kb/viewarticle?a=168
viewtopic.php?t=56700
viewtopic.php?t=56468

strafano
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 am

Re: Boss Mod issues

Post by strafano » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:20 pm

csguak wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:19 pm
What do you mean when you say "trying to clone prime Evils"?

You should NEVER touch any of these columns, especially in the FIXED monstat.txt. (well maybe except translvl).
Image

If you move even one monster around, your game now is broken. 8-O

Please see these explanations.
kb/viewarticle?a=168
viewtopic.php?t=56700
viewtopic.php?t=56468
Thanks for explanation. When I say clone, I mean that copied the rows of the prime evils at the end of the fixed file, changed the name, assigned a progressive hcIdx and added the new names in the string tbl file.

Post Reply

Return to “General Mod Making”