Mods with new quest system

Post anything else Diablo II legacy related here but remember this ISN'T a hack site. All posts directly related to battle.net hacking will be deleted.
jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Mods with new quest system

Post by jetaman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Hello there.
The question that interests me is: are there any released mods that have a totally new quest system? This is what I know so far: Les Royaumes Des Ombres have a reworked quest system which I liked, but the 'engine' is the same (old quests remade). I've seen that Whist is writing new code for Median XL Ultimative, which will have new quest system, but I'm not sure if it will touch the main story quests or only Uberquests? And I've seen somewhere in the forum that Kingpin has written new code for creating new quests in his mod, Dark Alliance. But I can't load Dark Alliance on my D2SE so I can't see if it's true (Kingpin please confrim).
So are there any other mods that have TOTALLY new quests engine? Thanks

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: Mods with new quest system

Post by kingpin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:51 pm

You are right Dark Alliance have a new quest system, for my subquests. My code works in similar way that Blizzard's do, besides that mine is more advanced and can set more different quest types, Everything is softcoded into my subquest.txt file, with several other files to handle rewards, quest mob spawns e.tc.

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Are you going to include that system in your D2 Dreamlands?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:00 pm

jetaman" wrote:Are you going to include that system in your D2 Dreamlands?
At some point I'm pretty sure I will, have other features I want get it first.

It have been requested a quest system from the dreamland testers.

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Awesome!Image

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:09 pm

jetaman" wrote:I've seen that Whist is writing new code for Median XL Ultimative, which will have new quest system, but I'm not sure if it will touch the main story quests or only Uberquests?
I did implement a new quest system (although quests themselves aren't coded yet, and I'm not sure they will be implemented in the initial release). The system has room for 18 new quests, 3 per acts, along with 3 "world-wide" quests (events of the world-wide quests are scattered into more than one act). While these 18 new quests will only be available in the last difficulty setting, they aren't uberquests, but they are still harder than the regular quests. They're kind of small side-quest challenges.

Also this will only be available in Median XL: Sigma, not in Ultimative.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:05 pm

For Blackened and my own work I ended up replacing the entire vanilla quest system (I've posted the complete details of it in the CE forum section). At some point when Adhin gets back, I'll finish revamping it so it'll be entirely script driven (as in Lua scripts).

One of the best advantages is that we can span quests across acts, can randomize quests in many ways (even in whats available like in D1) and create more interesting conditions or rewards by chaining scripts together (this allows for branching quests, where you can choose a side or a manner of execution). When will Blackened B4 be released? I have no clue, hoping to catch up on a lot of stuff this Christmas, and hopefully I can get Adhin focused again :P

I know cla$$ics was also experimenting with rewriting the quest engine at some point too
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Return to “Diablo II Chatter”