BTH, The True Image - Mods of D2 vs. modding BTH

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.
D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

BTH, The True Image - Mods of D2 vs. modding BTH

Post by D2 MOD player » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Diablo II mods - we can use more of those. Even with a possible full success of Diablo III people will always play Diablo II, especially with virtual emulation opening the doors to using old software like never before.

BTH mods. This would be a mod of a mod. In it's truest sense this is fine and it has been done before successfully, except for one issue. Regardless of how much of a fan of Onyx's mod, most people want it different. Any modification of his mod would then mostly likely go without his approval. It's better off the way it is. I've seen several threads of posts recently where his mod was successfully changed but without permission.

Besides the few flaws that still remain I agree with Onyx's vision of BTH. While I feel I stand alone in this position I don't think it's the wrong one. This is his work and he alone decides what's best for it. He listened too and modified many things I suggested because I was fortunate enough to be playing it while it was still in development. My work on this is done and so is his.

If you are a hex editor wiz feel free to change his mod till your hearts content. Just don't let him get eye of the change or post it on his website without at the very least asking for permission first. Any changes you make without permission, don't distribute it.

BTH is a vision he came up with and was his passion for many years. He's not trying to shut out the community or be rude, he simply doesn't want it changed without his permission which is his right. It is his creation. Yes there were others that contributed to this game. Many others. But in the end it was his canvas and his game with his vision.

I myself have taken people's work and modified it, but it was with permission. Or the original author had been lost in time. He is still here. He still reads all the posts and comments. It is his community, his website, his work of love. Respect his rights to his work and he will respect you. I love this community and will always enjoy talking to it's players.

I made this post because I felt it was necessary. I feel the direction the forum has gone is the wrong direction. Instead of asking him repeatedly to change it we should instead discuss game strategies and give player assistance. This is why this forum is still active. There are old and new players who still enjoy it despite it's flaws.

Play it the way it is or not at all. Players continually want to mutate his mod into something like Eastern Sun or Median. These are item based crafting mods. Onyx's is simple action. His mod needs what those mods need like Babe Ruth needed batting lessons. This mod is a different breed and cannot fit into the Plugy/crafting ways of other mods. While I have been a fan of plugy, it has equally ruined D2 as well, since most people seem to fail to realize the horrible things it will do to you in a full multiplayer game without proper usage. Adding plugy simply adds more bugs. No plugy, no corrupted player data. I like that idea. With proper item management you can have multiple sets of items to equip and still have enough room, with other mods this is not the case.

Return to “Back to Hellfire”