Den of Evil

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

No votes

Total votes: 0

Lacerta

Den of Evil

Post by Lacerta » Thu May 22, 2003 10:37 pm

I'm new to this mod, and to these forums in general, so please forgive me if this has been asked before.
I went out and cleaned up the blood moor, and went to finish the first quest in the den of evil. However, I found it filled with some type of monster that was completely invisible, and whom I couldn't target. I understand the hirelings and minions can hit these, but as a sorc, I have no minions, and as I'm only lvl 6 and haven't yet killed Blood Raven, I cannot get a hireling. Am I missing something here, or can I just not do this quest yet?

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Re: Den of Evil

Post by jbouley » Fri May 23, 2003 3:37 am

That shouldn't be happening. Those bears are only supposed to periodically phase in and out of existence...NOT remain perpetually invisible.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Lacerta

Post by Lacerta » Fri May 23, 2003 11:44 pm

The red bears outside were popping in and out of visibility, as it sounds like they are supposed to, but I couldn't see whatever was hitting me inside the den, not even enough to get a name bar at any point.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat May 24, 2003 1:25 am

Interesting...as far as I can tell from my files, that should be what's spawning in the Den...you're not playing the beta of 2.21 by any chance (the one I've uploaded two or three times in the past week)?

If so, it's buggy, and you should stick with 2.20, which is stable....mostly ;)

If you ARE playing 2.20...then I'm confused. Maybe I should consider changing the monster spawning slightly in the Den of Evil.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

IronSigil

Post by IronSigil » Mon May 26, 2003 5:44 pm

I mentioned earlier that this problem was happening in 2.20. The bears are hitable with melee weapons or missles, but they cannot be targeted.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon May 26, 2003 6:58 pm

Must have got lost somewhere in my notes...OK, I'll see if I can disable them and change them back into zombies or some other animation...or just change them so they can be selected more often...
-Jeff Bouley

Lacerta

Post by Lacerta » Tue May 27, 2003 4:54 pm

Nope, I'm using 2.2, everything else works right, except the one time the game crashed in Act 3 due to some failure to recognize character something or other, I didn't write it down, and it worked fine thereafter. Anyway, just wanted to give you an update, I have since finished normal and headed back to the den on nightmare, and everything was fine. I could see the bears, target them and hit them, and this bug didn't happen anywhere else in normal. So, as they say, I guess it was just temporary insanity.

Leshrac

Post by Leshrac » Sat May 31, 2003 10:17 am

I will support his idea that sometimes this happens. I have in act 1, and occasionally in other acts come across things that attack me that i never saw, and when i move away from them they never reapear, but my minion will move to attack them if thier are not closer things to attack even if they on the other end of the screen.

I dont know much about how the coding works, but perhaps with thier blinking out, thier is a glitch that causes them to not come back in, or perhaps proximity to other mobs also causes them to blink out and since they never get to far away from them they stay out. As that in the main game creatures wernt really desinged to be invisible it may be a bug in the graphics software.

BTW: Though I dont get time to play much any more i still love the mod and load it occasionally for kicks. I will be interested to see how you take advantage of the coming chages with 1.10 with this mod and the other you said you were working on.
I have found many routes to enlightment, but yet I have found none at all.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:37 am

For the monsters that blink in and out in my mod, it's simply because I switched the token used for a monster in original D2. So, the monster is using it's old AI behavior, which has it accessing a maneuver at times for which there is no animation in the token I assigned it. Since there is no animation for it to access for that action, it becomes invisible.

As for patch 1.10...given how tight my time is, I am likely to do very little to SiC in terms of truly new versions when it comes out. I am more likely to simply do my best to make SiC 1.10-compatible if possible, then retire from that mod entirely to pursue the new one.
-Jeff Bouley

Return to “Arcanum Archives”