What runewords do

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

What runewords do

Post by Yonder » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:01 pm

Hi all,

I started to play SiC a few hours ago, and it looks nice so far. Thx, Jeff, for providing some more days of fine entertainment. :)

My question is: Is there any site on the web where I can see what runewords do? If not, does anyone - including the modder himself - mind if I made a site with screens of the words? Or is that considered a spoiler?

CU@{No mentioning of private realms - consider this a warning}
Yoya, Level-21-HC-Amazon :)
About Diablo Mods ---> www.yonder.de/es

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Re: What runewords do

Post by jbouley » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:40 am

It's something I've just never had time to do. It would be so time-consuming to either type up all the words or to generate all the screenshots that I would have to ignore my wife or my work...neither of which is desirable. ;)

If you want to make some Web pages on your own site to do this, I wouldn't object.

In fact, if you want to make these pages, and then give to them to me to post on my own site, I would be happy to credit you by name on those pages.

Your choice. I'm sure players would be only too pleased for you to do this if you have the time and inclination.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Max-Violence
Paladin
Location: ZzzzZZZzzzzzzZ?ZZzzzzZ?Zzzzzzzz?...zzzzzzz?zzzZZZzzz...

Post by Max-Violence » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:02 am

jbouley" wrote:Your choice. I'm sure players would be only too pleased for you to do this if you have the time and inclination.
Yes, yes we would! :)
SiC 2.21 is out finally! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:51 am

k, then here's my first version:

www.yonder.de/es/sic/sic_runewords.htm

I admit that this site lacks beauty but I hope it's useful anyway. There are only 5 runewords up so far, because I didn't happen to find any more runes until now. But it's only a question of time (and work & wife) until I have them all. :)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:38 pm

Of course, any players who have already found runewords could take screenies and arrange to get them to Yonder to help out his cause. ;)

In fact, I'll see what I can do to generate a few.

Just a note: Some runewords might have variable stats (+10 to +32 strength perhaps)...so remember that some stats for some words might be higher or lower when you make the runeword yourself :)
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:14 pm

I've added some more runewords to the site. If you're looking for weapons & bows, take a look at "Dragon" and "Crescent Moon".
Also, decent armors seem to be "Law" and "Youth". For young sorcys "Enlightenment" might be nice. :)

Max-Violence
Paladin

Post by Max-Violence » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:16 am

Good stuff! Keep 'em comin :)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:37 am

If I can squeeze it into things, I'll try to get screenies of at least the four seasonal words and the two "uber words," since it's easy enough for me to tweak my own mod and give myself all the necessary runes for free.

I'll try to do the same if I can with some of the harder-to-make words that require high-level/expensive runes.

No promises, but I'd like to pitch in somehow. ;)
-Jeff Bouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:52 am

Yesterday Tintifxx, a player from the {No mentioning of private realms - consider this a warning} server, sent me an archive with 143 runeword images. This glorious act will enable me to provide a complete list by monday. (I'll be offline over the weekend). Stay tuned. :)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:29 pm

Sweet! :)

Once you're finished, let me know if you'd like to have your runeword resource mirrored on my site to make it even easier for folks to find. I wouldn't want to put it on my site without persmission.
-Jeff Bouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:18 pm

Status report: Almost all runewords are up now. The season words are still missing, but I will correct this soon.

Thx again to Tintifxx who did not only send me the screenshots but moreover sent them in accurate nomenclature and perfect size and quality. :)

Jeff, of course you can mirror the site if you think that's useful. Honestly, I wouldn't waste your webspace for that - a link should do fine.

EDIT: Site is complete now. Seasonal runewords have been added as well. I had to differenciate between armor and weapon, so the item type is linked to the image instead of the word. But I think you should be able to figure that out yourself. :)
Last edited by Yonder on Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJ

Post by BJ » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:12 am

Infinity is inaccessible for some reason.

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:55 am

Thanks! It was a typo in the file name. Works now.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:55 pm

Meant to ask you earlier but forgot:

Why are several of the runewords in red and not linked to anything?

Was that intentional? Do you still need screenies for those?
-Jeff Bouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:40 pm

Oh, I should have explained that. Red means the runeword sucks. :) Or to be a bit more diplomatic: I don't think that the runewords is useful for any char.

But now that I'm done with the site I see that I could easily make screenshots of all the words. It would definitely look better. Well, tomorrow the red words should be gone. :)

EDIT: Done. Now all words are blue. Ladies & Gentlemen, plz refresh your browser cache. :)
Last edited by Yonder on Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:58 pm

I knew they sucked. ;)

Cursed runewords....crappy runewords...there are a few. :twisted: I have my evil side. ;)
-Jeff Bouley

Gubbinz

Post by Gubbinz » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:14 am

i'm not sure if its right to me or not, but when i skimmed through the ones that "appealed" to me, i noticed that the ones i looked through didn't have much enhanced dmg.
is there a specific reason as to why u didn't add more e dmg%?
or are there ones with a lot more dmg, and i haven't seen them all?

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:33 am

The are some with enhanced damage (or defense, if armor-related), in some cases based on character level so that it improves as you level up.

The thing to remember, though, is that a lot of the offensive runewords also cast spells pretty frequently when you attack or are attacked, which often compensates for a lack of additional weapon damage.
-Jeff Bouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:38 pm

I agree that the most important feature of a weapon is its damage. And once you make it to Act 5 and have access to Anya and her runes damage is easy to have. So buy/find/gamble a decent weapon, make some socks in it, and stuff it with OHMs.

Runewords in this mod - IMHO - are designed for characters below lvl 30 or 40. A few more might be useful for casters who rely on skills. My druid (60) wears the same runeword in armor, weapon and helm.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:07 pm

That being said, I'll see if I can add at least a few more runewords for "power hitting" at the higher levels for v2.21B. ;)

Are the two "uber runewords" of any use to higher-level characters in Hell, or do I need uber-uber ones on top of those ones? :?:
-Jeff Bouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:07 am

Hmm, IMHO 'Oath of endless' is useless. It lacks physical damage, its elemental damage is too low to be helpful, and with level 82 my characters usually have killed Baal in hell and finish the game. I'd suggest to lower their level reqs to 60 or so to make the items usable when you enter hell mode.
A good runeword bow e.g. should definitely beat a Mavina's bow with 5 OHMs in it, cause that's a weapon everyone can have after killing Bloodraven in hell.

btw: Is there a way to prevent characters from having more than one identical charms in their inventories? I think it makes the game a bit too easy if you can carry tons of life/damage/resistances charms that are also easy to build.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:33 pm

*sigh* Even with endless beta testing of runewords...still some major flaws in them. Looks like reducing the level requirement for Oath of the Endless (and perhaps Word of Yahweh, too) might be in order.

In addition, looks like I'll have to make at least one more offensive runeword...maybe a few.

I'll figure something out...and I'll update the runeword spoiler document if needed, as well as provide screenies for your site so that you can update that when 2.21B is out later this week.

Thanks for the input. :)
-Jeff Bouley

Max-Violence
Paladin

Post by Max-Violence » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:37 am

Yonder";p="129129" wrote:Hmm, IMHO 'Oath of endless' is useless. It lacks physical damage, its elemental damage is too low to be helpful, and with level 82 my characters usually have killed Baal in hell and finish the game. I'd suggest to lower their level reqs to 60 or so to make the items usable when you enter hell mode.
A good runeword bow e.g. should definitely beat a Mavina's bow with 5 OHMs in it, cause that's a weapon everyone can have after killing Bloodraven in hell.
My thoughts exactly. EDIT: Wait a sec, five OHMs? I thought set items can only have 2 sockets in 'em!?!?!?
Yonder" wrote:btw: Is there a way to prevent characters from having more than one identical charms in their inventories? I think it makes the game a bit too easy if you can carry tons of life/damage/resistances charms that are also easy to build.
I just make one of the charm in question and leave it at that -- I know the charms were intended to be created/used/whathaveya only once, so I'm going with it.

Along the same idea, JB, you do know that the charms Anya and Malah sell (act 5, in case you forgot) are "infinite," right? I.e. say one of 'em sells a charm that's 25 resist fire and, say, 6-10 cold damage. One can buy as many of 'em as one has the gold/space for ;)
Last edited by Max-Violence on Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:29 am

I didn't even notice that...5 sockets in a set item?

Is there an exploitable bug I'm missing? The game normally won't allow more than 1 socket. I had to build special recipes to include uniques, rares, and sets.

As for the unique charms, given the way I created them, there is no way to stop people from making duplicates. However, if that person ever drop a dupe, they won't be able to pick it back up. The game won't allow you to pick one up if you already have it.

@Max:
The reason those charms sell endlessly is that for some items, I have to make them "permanent store items" to make vendors sell them. I suppose that's exploitable if they're selling a good charm that day...I don't know if I'll have time to remove the flag for endless selling and see if they still show up...but I'll try before I release 2.21B. :)
-Jeff Bouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:43 am

:) Well I wanted to post that as question some time ago but then forgot it: The spoiler doc doesn't explicitly say how set items behave concerning socketing. AFAIK they behave like magic items, i.e. they can have up to 5 sockets.

EDIT: Mavina's bow can have 5 sockets, the diadem only 1 (I think 1 socket is max for diadems in general), and the kraken shell armor can have 4 sockets. I think the number of max sockets for elite armors is always 4 - like in LoD, or do I err?

One more thing: The spoiler doc says "magic stone", and the game refers to these as "enchanted stones". This confused me a bit.
Last edited by Yonder on Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Arcanum Archives”