Metalstorm resolution??

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

Yopurzag

Metalstorm resolution??

Post by Yopurzag » Thu May 21, 2009 12:37 am

Hi Nef,

Your titanic and outstanding work continues, and your latest screenshots prove it!

I have an existencial question:

I want to know if I will play your Masterpeace in a crappy 15" windowed mod in my 22" monitor, or if you, as the best hardcoded D2 LOD wizard of all times, will present us with higher resolution options.

If Sluggy did it, just for fun, in is MULTIRES mod, I´m pretty sure that will be peace of cake to you.

Thanks for your time,

Yopurzag

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: Metalstorm resolution??

Post by Nefarius » Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Adding support for higher resolution isn't the problem (I will port the v1.10 custom D2Gfx.dll SVR made to v1.11b for SE/MetalStorm with optimization for the projects) so that will allow changing the resolutions easily and most importantly work with D3D mode (and enable D3D when used in a window). That as much it's something to do near the end of the development since it doesn't contribute to gameplay or content.

Now the issue I've highlighted several times that even the change from 640x480 caused problems because D2s gameplay code was never aimed at 800x600 not to mention higher resolutions: http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7475/madzz9.jpg and is probably why the widescreen mode was never completed (which vanilla D2 supports, but can't be turned on by the user).

Between Classic and LoD most of the AI specific code was not adapted and it led to units at the border of the new larger screen to sit around like willing targets just awaiting to be killed before the ai even initialized, in other cases bat demons spawned on the floor and jumped to the ceiling when you came into range (in classic they 'spawned on the ceiling') this was also a side effect of this. So even higher resolutions mean we must do a ton of adjustments and at the same time not make the game too unfair due to over responsive AIs when using smaller resolutions (this isn't a setting that can easily be configured because in MP the host has no way to know what resolutions the clients run in, and even then, based on what resolution should the game pass judgement?). The highest I would be willing to enable would be 1024x768 or 1280x1024 but nothing beyond this.
Last edited by Nefarius on Thu May 21, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”