Getting new forum server hardware

If you have constructive comments or suggestions about the Phrozen Keep for the staff, please post them here. Please note: this is not a forum for discussing mods or modmaking.

Moderator: Tech Support

<t>Would you click on something like google ads on this site ?</t>

Yes, every day if needed!
43%
Yes, but only every now and then
26%
No, but they wouldn't bother me either
30%
No, and putting up banners would make me leave the site
No votes

Total votes: 23

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Getting new forum server hardware

Post by spin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:02 pm

(also posted this the OT yesterday, they now have the banners as a test, and I was wondering the same about the live site)

My server that runs these forums has always been a bit slow, we all know that by now. But it's also getting a little older these days.

We (Phrozen and me) have spoken about this before a few months ago, and the testsite has had google banners for a while now, which would have been to collect some cash for new hardware. However, the testsite will probally not be synced to the live site for a while longer...

So here's why I put up this poll, would you guys click on the banners if I where to put them up on the main site ? If you want to explain your vote, feel free to reply. Also feel free to add any alternate ideas instead of banners.

The banner would be put between the Keep's logo and Big D on the top of every page, text-ads only, and using the same colors as the rest of the site. Offcourse it might start to show links to sites that are forbidden in our ToS (hack/sell sites), these can be filtered out once the begin to pop up.
zomg, no more sites!

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:26 am

I voted Yes, but only every now and then, usually i do click google adds on sites where im a regular so you propably would get a 1 click/day awrage from me.

But if you do add google adds then i sugest you also add the search, it doesn't pay as much as adds but everyone uses google search engine and im sure many would scrap the bookmark to standard google search and use the keeps search instead (I would for sure since this wouldnt reguire any change in my daily online rituals)

Keeshi
Paladin

Post by Keeshi » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:44 am

I'v heard of some sites using Google adds, BUT, you have to make sure that you tell people to NOT use bot clickers, because Google will pull the add and screw you out of $ :)
Father of Machines! From void evolved Phyrexia. He saw its perfection. Thus the Grand Evolution began. Oil, and metal. We are now pure. - Phyrexian Scriptures

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by spin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:42 am

Keeshi";p="235447" wrote:I'v heard of some sites using Google adds, BUT, you have to make sure that you tell people to NOT use bot clickers, because Google will pull the add and screw you out of $ :)
That's nothing to smile about ;)

But I'm expecting 1 click, per person, per day, at the most.
Indeed, no bot clickers should be used, but then we'd mess the server up for ourselves, so I asume nobody will do that.
Volf";p="235442" wrote:I voted Yes, but only every now and then, usually i do click google adds on sites where im a regular so you propably would get a 1 click/day awrage from me.

But if you do add google adds then i sugest you also add the search, it doesn't pay as much as adds but everyone uses google search engine and im sure many would scrap the bookmark to standard google search and use the keeps search instead (I would for sure since this wouldnt reguire any change in my daily online rituals)
Adding a search is a good idea, now just to figure out where it would fit ;)
(maybe a block in the side menu somewhere ?)
zomg, no more sites!

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:55 am

I voted for. Fast server should be priority of all us there. We have a good community, with great staff. We have many members, and there are fresh news everyday. New problems and ideas, new concepts. And maybe the most important: we are the biggest community supporting Diablo2 mods all over the world. It's valuable. However the worst thing about PK is too slow. Maybe it's actually quite fast, but 14026 members and 226935 articles in 30742 topics might slow server down. It understandable.

However faster server will be welcome. I'm getting angry, when sometimes I have to refresh site, even twice to make main page shown correctly. The problem is: left navigation bar and logo shows instantly, the middle part is still loading for... long time (with use of fast internet connection). It's quite annoying for me, so that I voted for, and declared to vote everyday if needed and if possible.
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!
"The Defile" - Forum - currently closed
The best guide for every modmaker!

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Re: Getting new forum server hardware

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:41 am

This my friend sPoT is the 'Twenty Minute Terror'. It has to do with the server making backups or something every twenty minutes. It only affects you if you are logged in, happens exactly at :00, :20 and :40 and lasts for 2-3 minutes.

I don't usually click banner ads, but if it helps to keep the Keep right side up, then definitely. :mrgreen:

What irks me is when there is an interesting looking banner [once in a blue moon, but still] and it doesn't open a new window, but replaces the current page or worse, a random page in another open browser window. Arrgh.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:21 am

Brother Laz";p="235470" wrote: What irks me is when there is an interesting looking banner [once in a blue moon, but still] and it doesn't open a new window, but replaces the current page or worse, a random page in another open browser window. Arrgh.
Nothing stops you from opening the link in a new window (or a new tab, if you're using a tab capable browser) ;)
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:58 pm

Alas Laz is stuck into the Inter Explorer Mirror Universe where people using tab capable browser are tortured to death by a fat woman wearing amazon armor
:twisted:
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

theonlymoose
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by theonlymoose » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:26 pm

It could be worse.

EDIT1: Spot I can relate. I have cable internet and have an average download speed of 5.4 Mbps (672 KB/sec). Even I have to wait a couple of minutes at times.

EDIT2: (removed unappropriate comment) :oops:
Last edited by theonlymoose on Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by spin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:08 am

The banner has been placed. Note that it will take several days before the ads start to be specific to each page's contents.

Please report ads to sites forbidden in our ToS to me, by PM. Thanks!
zomg, no more sites!

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:25 am

Spin, now tell us where should we click to make money for new server. It should be "Ads by Google", right?
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by spin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:29 am

Nope, that's the one part of the banner that doesn't make anything ;)
The texts above those words are the ads, 2 of them mostly.

And when it says public service ads (which means the page hasn't been indexed yet, and google doesn't know what to display), then it's a free ad alltogether.
zomg, no more sites!

theonlymoose
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by theonlymoose » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:53 pm

:) I did my duty. I clicked this morning. :)

EDIT1: I really good today, I clicked again. :mrgreen:
Last edited by theonlymoose on Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:59 am

Not a big deal friend :mrgreen:

DeClineD
Retired staff
Angel

Post by DeClineD » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:05 pm

I voted Yes, but only every now and then mainly due to the fact that i dont check in every day, but i will for sure click when ever i'm here...
Terms of Service
Beginner's guide v1.4 (Word|PDF)

Technomage

Post by Technomage » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:40 pm

spin";p="235598" wrote:The banner has been placed. Note that it will take several days before the ads start to be specific to each page's contents.

Please report ads to sites forbidden in our ToS to me, by PM. Thanks!
Do you want to block sell sites for other games?

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by spin » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:09 pm

Only those forbidden by our tos.
zomg, no more sites!

TrueMage
Hosted Forum Moderator
Principality
Russia

Post by TrueMage » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:55 am

I voted for... because I have cable Inet too and speed is slow a bit for me, so I think Keep needs a new server. Now I clicks every day... but now, in approx. 50% of cases, my IE6 stops loading page after banners loaded and I am compelled to update page some times to reach complete loading of page. :( Somebody knows how to struggle with it?

EDIT: Oh, and at once after occurrence of banners, some of e-mail notifications have ceased to reach me. :( Any ideas?

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, sorry. Now I have found out that e-mail notifications have ceased to reach me after 14 July (I was on vacation and don't noticed this) despite of I have e-mail notifications in profile settings. :( Any ideas what may to cause it? It is very difficult to be guided through forums information without e-mail notifications.
Last edited by TrueMage on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by spin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:16 am

Actually, your mail problem does not have anything to do with this site.

I've just checked the mailserver's logs, and your email triggers a "User unknown" on mail.ru's server. So you're email address is simply no longer valid as far as I can tell.
zomg, no more sites!

TrueMage
Hosted Forum Moderator
Principality
Russia

Post by TrueMage » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:29 pm

spin";p="236608" wrote:Actually, your mail problem does not have anything to do with this site.

I've just checked the mailserver's logs, and your email triggers a "User unknown" on mail.ru's server. So you're email address is simply no longer valid as far as I can tell.
Hmm, just tested. E-mails from couple of other sources reached me correctly. So my e-mail is valid. :) Isn't it? Do You think that it is mail.ru's bug?

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:51 pm

I had this problem a while back and turned out the keep was being blocked by the mail servers spam filter.

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by spin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:58 pm

Beeing blocked gives out a different error msg in mailserver's log.

It clearly states "User unknown". If that is not correct please contact your mailserver's admin. We cannot solve this from our end.
zomg, no more sites!

SVR
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by SVR » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:37 pm

I choose 3 - only because there's nothing between 3 & 4 .
They bother but I aint leavin :P

Using banners to pay for new hardware kinda defeats the purpose.
Small increase in speed from HW, huge lag from accessing google.

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by spin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:39 pm

Don't understand that argument.

I have no lag whatsoever from the ads, the page can render completly even if the google ads don't display right away. Resulting in the full page without banner while that keeps loading. But you can allready view/read/click while it does.
zomg, no more sites!

TrueMage
Hosted Forum Moderator
Principality
Russia

Post by TrueMage » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:50 pm

spin";p="236630" wrote:Beeing blocked gives out a different error msg in mailserver's log.

It clearly states "User unknown". If that is not correct please contact your mailserver's admin. We cannot solve this from our end.
Tech support of mail.ru has told me that problem mostly probably on Your side and asks maillogs. :( May You to help me?

Return to “Feedback”