Your character?

Information and updates for TFW: Ancients (D2 v1.09x) and Awakening (D2 v1.10) mods. If you have any questions or suggestions about either mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: Myhrginoc, SiLenTx, Deathscythe

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Your character?

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:36 am

Just about to start my curse Necro (who will suck!), and I thought I would stimulate some talk around here!

I won't be playing much (essay to do!), so you will all be higher level than me!
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Terms of Service:Beginners Guide:TTD:Tech Rant: TFW The Awakening

Disruptive Idiot

Re: Your character?

Post by Disruptive Idiot » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:12 am

I have a bonemancer/summonancer on hardcore (who I so wish was softcore so I could trade with you guys). He's decked out in MF gear and still rocks everything. Yay necros!

On softcore I have a sorcerer who will eventually be my main character (after I beat hardcore up to hell elder (when he's reintroduced of course ^_^)). She's going to specialize in fireball and chain lightning with a dabbling of cold. I like my characters to be incredibly versatile instead of highly specialized. I might have trouble once monsters are redone but I still won't deviate from my jack-of-all-trades concept.

She's currently level 32.

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:10 am

Some balancing needs to be done for necros as they are by far and away the best of all characters in vanilla and all mods I have so far played. You don't need to be a genious to build a necro (a bit like amas used to be) but they will get you there and a "really good one" is nigh on invincible. Yes it takes experience to play one correctly but I still think they have too much of an advantage.

My point is, I love necs but they are too strong folks. They are about 20% better than the best of any other char other than the best sorcs (1.10 and 1.11 including vanilla and all mods). 1.09 I could have made any other char to give all necros a challenge but sadly since 1.10 it is no longer the case. They have too many "core natural" skills that can take care of 99% of situations. Give an asn "amp damage" and a druid "iron maiden" or a barb "life tap" then we are talking 8-O .

Skill books could help a little to make an off-class hybrid but it is never going to be as good as a pure class hybrid. All mod-makers and blizz take note....nerf the necs!
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Veteran? More like "Ancient Relic!"..been playing the mod for 12 years!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
I get knocked down but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down...!
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

dfnord
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by dfnord » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:56 am

Once nefarius made a very long post about this. Skills that make you invunerable but make you take longer to kill are not as unbalanced as skills that put you in the heat of the fire, but kills everything if you survive. Or are they? The point is, a build that takes longer to transverse areas, even though in a safer way, is more boring than those that just go through it, possibly dying a couple of times. And since i am pro-fun, i prefer the later builds, but i enjoy the former when i am getting to know a new mod. Either way, the "imbalances", as long as they are balanced (take a long time to build, take forever to kill enemies, and so on, possibly kill you, ....) are a always plus to a mod.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:52 am

Guy and I know there is still considerable work with skills. And yes, we will continue to adjust monsters so they give you a fair drubbing...er...challenge when you meet them at their level. Level 60+ barbs in Normal Act 1 isn't ever going to be balanced, but if you were starting in Nightmare that is more to the point.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Dreadlord90
Paladin

Post by Dreadlord90 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:44 am

I play as paladin with Vengeance as attack skill and Coviction for support. Today I'll at last achieve 50 level :)
for me it will be like: Vengeance/Conviction -max, vengeance synergies - Resist Cold/Fire/Lightning - they all are at 16 lvl, and I think it's enough :)
We waited centuries for this moment. The rivers will flow with blood of those who oppose us. Kane

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:31 pm

I just wondered if anybody would like to update on their characters progress?

My Necro is a humble lv 9, I don't really have much time to play/mod right now...
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Bruener_BattleHammer

Post by Bruener_BattleHammer » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:38 am

i have a lvl 95 paladin in act 5 nightmare, and my dad has a lvl 97 amazon in act 5 nightmare. we both play on players 40 and i haven't used a health potion in so long i forgot where to put them.lol

Dreadlord90
Paladin

Post by Dreadlord90 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:36 pm

okay, updating char.
paladin lvl 115, running in Catacombs Act I Nightmare on players 60.
equipment: breath of the dying, enigma, dream, sanctuary (runewords), 2 unholy pearls(uniq ring, paladin only) , the wanderer (uniq amulet, paladin only), the spoiler (fury word in belt), some crappy boots with 2 um :))), crafted gloves, some crafted & rare charms.
books: frozen armor +28, burst of speed +30, two books +3 to vengeance.
Last edited by Dreadlord90 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We waited centuries for this moment. The rivers will flow with blood of those who oppose us. Kane

Elad
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Elad » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:20 pm

Sorc,Lvl 70 Act3 (Travical), NM
A real hodge-podge
Holy Helm (The Spoiler), Deamon Hide Sash(Spoiler),Crafted Horde boots, Polar Gloves(Zeus), Unique Ghost armour, Crafted Majestic Orb, bronze shield(Ancient Pledge), 3 books, 2 10k Sigils, rare ring with crafted jewel inserted, crafted Sorc ring, rare amulet and several crafted small charms.
Lvl 36 exploding orb, lvl 32 glacial sphere, lvl 21 shiver armour, and lvl26 energy shield.
Plod along at players 1 or 2. If I want to level, go to Act 5 Norm at players 32. No problems if can kill from a distance, but becomes sticky up close
Are the synergies gone? I don't see them any more.
Oh yes, no mercs or other help. Was able to kill a lot easier in patch P5.
Elad
At my age, you are never in any hurry :)
Edit:
Since I wrote to the above, died twice, but finally made it to Durance of Hate Lvl2 Waypoint.
I couldn't understand why I was having so much trouble until I read Malachai29's post "Ouch". All synergies were removed and my hit power is only about 500. Will have to go back to Normal and try to get to Lvl75 or 80 and more hit power. 8-O
Last edited by Elad on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreadlord90
Paladin

Post by Dreadlord90 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:07 pm

I couldn't understand why I was having so much trouble until I read Malachai29's post "Ouch". All synergies were removed and my hit power is only about 500. Will have to go back to Normal and try to get to Lvl75 or 80 and more hit power. icon_eek.gif
imagine how it was for me. My Vengeance became more powerful after removing synergies, but I feel pity for thousands of skillpoints wasted into boosting Vengeance synergies up to 16 lvl each :cry:

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:27 pm

I am afraid I am way behind most people in this mod. My best character is a level 45 sorc in Normal mode act 4 using Sanders gloves, Hotspur boots, "Leaf" staff and the only other item of note she has is a +1 fire skills rare ammy with 10% fcr.

The one thing I really like about her is her damage.....Level 20 Fireworks doing 1354-1420 fire damage per second for 3.5 seconds and with a range of 30 yards. Mana cost is 41 but she doesn't need to cast it very often.

[EDIT]:- Just came up against my first set of "fire immune" monsters on the way to Izual. Wasn't as bad as I expected.....by using static field then weilding "Leaf" like a big stick beating upon their heads got the job done....eventually :roll: .
Last edited by Al-T on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Veteran? More like "Ancient Relic!"..been playing the mod for 12 years!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
I get knocked down but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down...!
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:23 am

Mmm... perhaps we will need a balance thread?

If you're lucky you might be able to use a character editor to remove the skill points. Udie Too might be the best choice for this, just make sure you backup your character before trying though!

If not, you get more skill points every level... you've hardly 'wasted' many!

Return to “The Fury Within: Ancients & Awakening”