Skill Cloning and Items

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

hellnecrotom

Skill Cloning and Items

Post by hellnecrotom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:27 am

Hey there guys,

I have made a clone of Might, Concentration, Fanaticism, and Conviction and gave the clone skills to the Paladin. I did this so that I may nerf the auras that the monsters get (because I understand that these are hard-coded) at random and buff the ones that the Pally uses.

The only problem that came up is that scepters now buff the old skills and not these new ones (the clones). I have no idea where to look for them because the MagicPrefix.txt and the MagicSuffix.txt do not have them. How could I make the scepters buff these clone skills and not the old ones without code editing?

Thanks in advance and cheers :D

rondel123
Paladin

Re: Skill Cloning and Items

Post by rondel123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:10 am

You could do a huge workaround with automagic.txt.

SpiKe.
Forum Tech Support
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by SpiKe. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 am

Shouldn't be that huge. Search + Replace should take max. 3 mins with checking.

hellnecrotom

Post by hellnecrotom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 am

I figured the thing might be there but I do not understand that file very much (after having read the guide. of course). Could you guys help me out a bit as to what to replace? :-s

Thanks

SpiKe.
Forum Tech Support
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by SpiKe. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Look for something like "skill" - next to it you find a Number (like 120). This number is the ID Pointer in Skills.txt.
Change this ID to the new ID in your Skills.txt for every skill in MagicPrefix and MagicSuffix. You should also look for "charged", "hit-skill", "gethit-skill", "kill-skill" and "att-skill" and see if you made any changes to these skills.

For your example: Open the file. Search (CTRL+F) for "98" -> old ID of Might. Look if the ID is next to any of the properties from above. Afterwards replace 98 with your new ID from Skills.txt and you should be good to go.

hellnecrotom

Post by hellnecrotom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Ok, so here's the thing:

I thought that this might be the answer but the problem is that my automagic.txt has 42 lines only with no "skill" addition. It looks much like this only with 5 extra rows: https://github.com/Sduibek/d2mdcore/blo ... oMagic.txt

This is the main reason why I said that I do not understand the file.

The MagicPrefix.txt and the MagicSuffix.txt only deal with charged items and not with actual skill buffs. I have no idea where to look for the specifics of what skill can appear on what item (as a skill buff and not as a "charged" property). I'm talking about "+3 to Lower Resist [Necromancer Only]", for example, on a wand.

Thanks for the quick reply, though. Much appreciated :)

azianX

Post by azianX » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Edit: Found what I was looking for.

The Column that controls the random skills being presented from a class comes from the table ItemTypes.txt in the column named "StaffMods" basically you can just assign a class and it will pick a random class skill for the item, up to 3 skills.

In your Skills.txt if the original rows for the paladin auras still have the charclass assigned to pal, they will still be pulled for the item staffmod

rondel123
Paladin

Post by rondel123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:23 pm

azianX" wrote:In your Skills.txt if the original rows for the paladin auras still have the charclass assigned to pal, they will still be pulled for the item staffmod
Thats incorrect. Staffmods are hardcoded to use specific range of lines from skills.txt for each class. Automagic.txt is the only softcoded way to get rid of this problem.

However, according to Necrolis'es post from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57909&hilit=staffmods my informations are incorrect too...
Necrolis" wrote:The boss mod aura table has been posted before a few times(by myhrginoc or nefarius), you can edit that easily, however the staffmods aren't hardcoded, they are just done retardly, so they only include the first set of continuos class skills found...
... because you could do this. Anyway, from my observations thats not 100% truth, as if you have a chain of class skills and you do break it with some non class assigned skill, it will be spawned on your items too and won't interrupt the class skill chain, which technically should be interrupted as it is no longer one continuous set of skills.

hellnecrotom

Post by hellnecrotom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:25 pm

So what method would you guys suggest to solve the problem? How could I use the automagic.txt to make the staffmods read a different range? We're drilling deep here, I know :-s

rondel123
Paladin

Post by rondel123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Delete the desired staffmods from ItemTypes.txt and make a huge automagic group with all your skills in automagic.txt, then assign it to desired items in Weapons.txt via auto prefix column. You can easily find some tutorials or topics on the forum where it is explained step by step how to create automagic.

hellnecrotom

Post by hellnecrotom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Ok, so let me get this straight:

1. First I remove the Staffmod from scepters and auric shields. That would be the "pal" entry.
2. Then I create new rows in automagic.txt and add my skills (all of them that I want to appear on scepters and auric shields --- this means all of the old skills and the four new auras that I cloned). I group them into a group named with a number such as "987", for example.
3. Then I open weapons.txt and armors.txt and assign the "987" to the autoprefix columns of all scepters and auric shields.

WIll this enable scepters and auric shields to only buff the skills that I set in autoprefix.txt and nothing else? Did I get it right?

Cheers

hellnecrotom

Post by hellnecrotom » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Nothing? :(

Return to “General Mod Making”