Is the string.tbl from D2data.mpq hard coded?

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

jmiller634

Is the string.tbl from D2data.mpq hard coded?

Post by jmiller634 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:40 pm

The process I used was to extract the string.tbl from the D2data.mpq and changed the introduction from "hello stranger" to "hello Josh". I then placed the modified tbl into the d2data.mpq and repacked it. I start a new single player game and Warriv still said "Hello stranger. I closed the game reopened the mpq and extracted the tbl. Then, I open the tbl and the changes are there, they just aren't showing up in game. Any ideas?

jmiller634

Re: Is the string.tbl from D2data.mpq hard coded?

Post by jmiller634 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:36 pm

That didn't work either, bout to pull my hair out :cry: lol. The closest I have ever gotten to getting this to work was if I changed the directory from: data/local/lng/eng/BETA, to: data/local/lng/eng. It changed the dialogue, but it messed up the main menu and create character screen. By messed up I mean, for example, that "single player" button is gone and "multiplayer" shifts up in the position that "single player" should be.

SpiKe.
Forum Tech Support
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by SpiKe. » Tue May 02, 2017 6:14 pm

You have to put in the same direction as it was above. The game doesn't read your new directions without CE.
Your Bug looks like you replaced the string or cleared it in some way. May attach the .tbl file and i will look into it for you.

jmiller634

Post by jmiller634 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:07 am

Unfortunately it won't let me upload the file because it is too large. The only thing I changed in it was warrvi's introduction from< "Hello stranger...", to, "hello Josh....". I have tried putting it in the same directory format that it was in d2data.mpq and placing it in the d2 directory. Then, I added -direct -txt to the shortcut, doesn't work, he still says, "hello stranger....". Then, I tried deleting the string.tbl in the d2data.mpq anjd placing the modified one in the same place, then repacked it. I start a new game and, sill no change.

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Wed May 03, 2017 3:27 am

Some things to try that may help.

Use WinMPQ. it's the only MPQ editor that works to properly update an MPQ file.
you may also have to download the VB runtimes to get it working.
http://sfsrealm.hopto.org/downloads/WinMPQ.html

Load your new string.tbl into Patch_D2.mpq as
data\LOCAL\LNG\ENG\string.tbl

No reason to load it in D2Data.mpq, because Patch_D2.mpq is read first by the game.

It might be a good idea to re-extract the original string.tbl, in case the one
your working with got messed up.

Also the one extracted from D2Data.mpq
data\LOCAL\LNG\ENG\BETA\string.tbl
might not even be valid, i forget where the valid one is located.

When changing an existing line in string.tbl files don't delete or move original
line positions, because the table offsets are lookup values hardcoded into the game.

Cheers
:)
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

jmiller634

Post by jmiller634 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:32 am

Thank you very much for your information and suggestions. I will try it and let you all if it works.

jmiller634

Post by jmiller634 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:55 am

Holy cow finally! lol. That was it, the program I was using was screwing it up. I switched to Winmpq and it worked in game right off the bat. A big thank you to all who tried to help me, and a big thank you to devurandom for the solution :D

Return to “General Mod Making”