sub quests

Information and updates for the Dark Alliance mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Ogodei, Darque, Yohann, afj666, Diabolic Studios Dev

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: sub quests

Post by kingpin » Mon May 31, 2004 12:39 am

Same subquest can only be finished one time. But, there will be hundreds and probably thousands different subquests in the final version. So, the chance that you run out of subquests is small, since some of the subquests will be really hard to get. Also, we are using an own skillsystem, so it will atleast not have the same limited feeling as you can get in unmodded game. See our "new skillsystem" thread for more info.
Last edited by kingpin on Mon May 31, 2004 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mylon

Post by Mylon » Mon May 31, 2004 1:39 am

I read the thread, but the concept isn't the clearest to me. Is what I would really like to know is there a theoretical max number of legend points, or as long as you keep finding legendary treasures (which can be randomly dropped, I suppose?) you can keep gaining legend points (and thus, raise skills).

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon May 31, 2004 11:18 am

There is a theoretical max number of legend points in most cases. Why I say most cases is because there is a way to always get legend points (even if you will gain it slow). I suppose I should someday update the explanation about our new skillsystem, just readed it myself and saw it has some info missing :)
Last edited by kingpin on Mon May 31, 2004 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Mon May 31, 2004 1:43 pm

it's impossible, since it comes by quest tags, as example on the normal game you can't get two times radament quest book for extra skill points.

I think this mod maybe not the best suited for you, since it seems you like more freedom of character (and infinite numbers) while probably kingpin doesn't desire that for the mod, if he desires to get a balanced mod :P

in your case I'll probably look for Zy-el (nezaremontias mod) where you can obtain obscene amounts of points/level.

of course, to remove the problem you said could have been removed if all skills had the same level without prerequisites, on that scene you can make your planning without spend points in skills you don't want to use, but this mod isn't my project ;)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

Mylon

Post by Mylon » Mon May 31, 2004 3:27 pm

It's not that I want obscene amounts of points to spend per level, it's that one thing that bothered me about vanilla D2 is between levels, there was very little to do for character development. You could make the same runs on bosses over and over to try and get some slightly better equipment, but levels (and thus, skill/statpoints) are very rare. By adding the elixirs/skill books idea of Diablo I, a character can continue to grow between levels. Also, by making them purchasable in the shop, gold suddenly has a real value. If 1 million gold = +20 strength, then people might be more willing to trade in gold instead of just exchanging items.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Mon May 31, 2004 9:11 pm

but to make able to buy potions that grant permanent bonuses like diablo 1, it would be required to be a "barrier" for the stat to avoid brokeness (is capped) and where to place the cap? and all the same for each character class?

I consider more just the diablo 2 sistem, since at least you don't get a cap on the stat you spend your points into, sadly the life gained for each character class is not the same, making sometimes hard for the extravagant variations (melee sorc or the meleemancer)

may you have a nice time.

Black Omen's production

Mylon

Post by Mylon » Mon May 31, 2004 10:01 pm

Y'know, the funny thing about the stat variations in Diablo 2 is with mana. Barbarians, for example, get considerably less mana than sorceresses, yet their skills also cost considerably less. The end result? Barbarians and sorceresses have the same amount of effective mana. If your special costs 50 mana and you have 500 mana or if it costs 1 mana and you have 10 mana, they're both the same!

The more amusing result of this is that raw mana bonuses are more vauable for barbs than they are for sorceresses. +50 mana means a sorceress can only cast their meteor once, while it gives the barb, say, 10 more stun attempts.

I don't see why different classes get different amounts of mana per energy stat anyway since the spell costs can be scaled depending on how much mana a character has. The current system has the same effect as if you gave paladins 50% less hit points than barbs but only made them take 1/2 damage from attacks, except that paladins would get a bigger boost out of +life, life leeching, and replenish life modifiers.
Last edited by Mylon on Mon May 31, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narcro

Post by narcro » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:27 pm

Subquest idea
closing the gate

act 4 (diablo's sanctuary)
an angel tells you that a gate has been opened to one of the other areas of the hell, and you have to close it somehow

i throught about letting it spawn x number of monsters at some intervals

another idea
the beholder caves (need new monsters)
one of the towns could be under attack by a group of beholders after the attack you are sent out looking for the cave which hold a number of beholders an unique one

reward: helm of the beholder unique

last idea (necromancer only)
you hear rumors of another strong necromancer in an area and go look for he's hideout/castle. inside the castle you battle your way thru he's minions before you kill him and take he's wand(unique, summon skill that you cannot get any other way)

mblichew

Post by mblichew » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:35 pm

hi, I'got one idea for a subquest:
one of the NPC's gives player random scroll which describes location of a superunique boss monster or smth. - this location is always different:)
when boss is killed - one of the drops can be an item needed for ancient horadric recipie, other items can be found in quest from other town's or even higher diff.
when all items will be in possesion of player - he can transmute them into smth.-for example - in kind of a legendary weapon

and one more question: will this subquest system be publically released as a plugin:)?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:44 pm

and one more question: will this subquest system be publically released as a plugin:)?
We haven't decide yet what we make avaible for public or not. We will se after da has been released :P

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:26 pm

Subquest: Tome of Vendanna :P (name to your elecion, y used Vendanna as example :roll: )

Your character finds an incompleted book telling the tale of a misterious sorceress who used to have knowledge about demon and the spells to be able to call some of the most evil ones and wards to bind them to your will for a time.

Your character would be able to find pages of the book on different libraries (those that in d2 actually only drops ID/TP tomes/scrolls, so its a nice thing to add) or places (like part of the book on a unholy temple)

After adding pages to the book (weapon you have in hand to be able to use) the book will gain more power (different skills) for demonology, like ward against evil (as basic) to spells that call from the depth abyss a Demon Lord.

The Demon lord could be released, and its similar to a Diablo, it will be on the plane only for a short amount of time, but it can be dangerous for the caster if the link is broken when you call for him.

It also could have spells that can enchant the weapons to be able to penetrate the evil demons caparaces or better, pierce their defenses.

The Last Page you find will also finds where the soul of the poor sorceress is tied with his most powerful spell, to imprison one of the most feared demons (like Tal Rasha).

Black Omen's production

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:47 pm

Nice idea,

We will keep the name :P
Your character would be able to find pages of the book on different libraries (those that in d2 actually only drops ID/TP tomes/scrolls, so its a nice thing to add) or places (like part of the book on a unholy temple)
In da those are changed to drop spellscroll/books :)

So, it would be possible to do special objects that drop those.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:58 pm

kingpin";p="184799" wrote:Nice idea,

We will keep the name :P
Thank you very much, Kîngpin, I feel honored :oops:
In da those are changed to drop spellscroll/books :)

So, it would be possible to do special objects that drop those.
Didn't knowed about this change (or if I read it, probably I forgot about it when replying)

Its a good thing to hear, you guys seems to think about all, now a question... there is more things on the map that you can touch to do something?

Example Beds on the Harem...

A secret wall that you can push and a secret door opens (a la Tal Rasha tomb, so you can reach a hidden level)

Speaking of it, you will add something on the False tombs so people could go there for more than a golden chest? I'm saying that because there is only a low number of people that go on the false tombs for experience (and I'm not one of them :oops: )

My idea to add a little sidequest, is to place an Unique on each of the Tombs each one is a guardian of a part of an ancient weapon, when you have all the parts, you can go to a Forge (similar to the Hephastos forge) and create it on the Anvil of Desperation with the Hammer of Oblivion you could find in other act/zone.

Then, you found that the item is cursed, and for merging all the pieces, you liberated a curse that darkens the day (a la viper temple) so now you must find a way to destroy the nefarious item liberating the world of the curse you just liberated :)

Black Omen's production

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:19 pm

I haven't thougth anything specific for the false tombs more than I know I want somethings special there. So, until I have decided any sub quest's related to it is welcome.

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:55 pm

If this is possible you could have the quest setup like so (change the story behind it probably, cause I'm not good at that kinda thing):

Of course this quest takes place in the unused tombs, which I think is 6.

1. Quest:
Cain informs you of a group of demons are plotting a strike on Lut Gholein. He then tells you that instead of outright killing these demons, it must be done in a certain way. He then informs you to speak to the towns folk to learn more.

2. How to:
a. Drognan: He tells you that the group is lead by a monster by the name of [monster #1], and that the only way to kill him is to assemble an ancient blade, but beyond this he does not know any more.
b. Atma: She knows of this blade, and says that the peices can be found on the minions on [monster #1]. She then gives you a clue scroll which gives you the following information:

She names the order the monsters must be killed in and which tomb each can be found in. Then she tells you to use the peices of the blade they drop in the cube, and then use the result to kill [monster #1].

3. Reward:
Return to Cain and he will give you x amount of expirience and a skill point.

Also, if it is possible instead of a blade you could simply have it forge a Sacred Amulant or something that must be worn when fighting the monster, that way you can use whatever attack method you want. Also, after having the quest you can keep the item, but since the monsters have to be killed in a certain order it will prevent people from borrowing the item and "cheating" on the quest.

For the order, you would have monsters 2-6 holding the pieces of the blade, and if they aren't killed in the right order, you will fail the quest and the rest of the monsters won't drop anything.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:58 am

We are still improving our sub quest code and now its time to reveal another way to get a sub quest.

[color=00A3FF]Sub Quest Scrolls[/color]
There are scrolls that can give you a sub quest. Then you read the scroll you will learn about the quest and your sub quest starts. Your sub quest scroll will never vanish. But, it will not help to trade away these scrolls to others, since those will not be able to activate the quest.

Here is a first example from a sub quest scroll.

Scroll on ground

Scroll in Inventory

Reading the scroll
Last edited by kingpin on Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:12 am

This is the first time I've looked at the forum for this mod and it sounds fantastic. I might even play it ;)

I caught a glimpse in an earlier post where afj666 said it would be possible to have a menu that lets you choose your quest reward. Would it be possible to do the same within the quest, ie. choose your next course of action?

For example, you go to an NPC as part of the quest and he offers to help you if you go do something else for him (a subquest-subquest). You then choose to perform the deed or not.

Along those lines, would it be possible to have alternate methods of completing a quest, like a long but easy way or a short and difficult way?

Just throwing out thoughts here...

The only real subquest idea I have at the moment would be an NPC offers you a bounty reward for killing a certain infamous monster or possibly retriving a lost item and, after following the trail of clues, you find there is already a party of adventurers looking to collect the bounty themselves. Before grabbing the goods or killing the monster, you must kill or evade the other party. The party would consist of monsters that look and behaive like a Barbarian, Sorceress, Amazon, etc. The AI would suit the class and the skills would reflect a real player build. The monsters could even use monequip to have real in-game items to boost their stats.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:32 am

This is the first time I've looked at the forum for this mod and it sounds fantastic. I might even play it
Thanx :)

I caught a glimpse in an earlier post where afj666 said it would be possible to have a menu that lets you choose your quest reward. Would it be possible to do the same within the quest, ie. choose your next course of action?

For example, you go to an NPC as part of the quest and he offers to help you if you go do something else for him (a subquest-subquest). You then choose to perform the deed or not.
We doesn't have any code that handles that yet. But, I'm quite sure we would be able to implement that.

Along those lines, would it be possible to have alternate methods of completing a quest, like a long but easy way or a short and difficult way?
I think our current quest system may be able to handle that. Othervise it shoul be possible to implement it.

The only real subquest idea I have at the moment would be an NPC offers you a bounty reward for killing a certain infamous monster or possibly retriving a lost item and, after following the trail of clues, you find there is already a party of adventurers looking to collect the bounty themselves. Before grabbing the goods or killing the monster, you must kill or evade the other party. The party would consist of monsters that look and behaive like a Barbarian, Sorceress, Amazon, etc. The AI would suit the class and the skills would reflect a real player build. The monsters could even use monequip to have real in-game items to boost their stats.
Suggestions are always welcome, so keep em comming :)

We have already implement some of the suggested subquests already.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:36 pm

Is working on update the outdated topics abit.

Updated topic with a feature history info, added subquest scrolls into topic that you can find in this thread and updated with "gold" as reward aswell. There is some more info related to subquests that will be added at a later point.

amit469

Post by amit469 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:43 pm

I must say, i've seen al the sub Q's here, all seem cool.
but i have another suggestion, not sure if it was said.
lets say that my quest is this one : Name: The Lost Recipe

Your task:
The alchemist asks you if you could bring back a recipe he lost when he was out in the woods, looking for some plants.

How to:
Go to the cursed woods and kill the monsters that are lurking near the recipe. Take the recipe back to town to recieve your reward.

(((( CREDIT TO LES ERNAS))))))

-------

so, lets say i got the item the alchemist was looking for, and the item is good, if you could try and make, the abillity to take the item and keep it and use it, instead of giving it to the merchant.
I'll lose the prize, but if the weapon is good 4me then its fine.

whatya say ?

cheers, amit

:) :) :)
Last edited by amit469 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:54 pm

I must say, i've seen al the sub Q's here, all seem cool.
Not every suggested subquest is in the mod. But, I'm always open to more ideas :)

so, lets say i got the item the alchemist was looking for, and the item is good, if you could try and make, the abillity to take the item and keep it and use it, instead of giving it to the merchant.
I'll lose the prize, but if the weapon is good 4me then its fine.
In second chapter then the profession system gets implemented. This idea is very possible to make.

In second chapter the quest system will get it's update aswell. One of the updates that would be an option for this is actual the multiple quest rewards. You will be able to choose between X rewards then you complete a quest and only able to choose one of the rewards.

So an example:

Reward 1: A potion that the alchemist made out of the recipe (the materials for the potion could be expensive. So, get a potion directly could be a great option).

Reward 2: Get the recipe (or part of the material). You are an alchemist and can make your own potions.

Reward 3: Get gold. You aren't interested of either potion or recipe and would have more use of the gold :)
Last edited by kingpin on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbatim
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Verbatim » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:26 pm

[quote=Vendanna";p="166378"]No mandes a una amazona hacer el trabajo de un barbaro (two player sidequest)

Quest Activation Harrogath NPC tell to the amazon an history of a Ancient Helm that the Valquiries wear when they descend to get the souls of his fallens warriors to Valhalla.

of course, the poor amazon will soon see that she had a problem to reach the possible passage to get it (aka water and islands where only a barbarian could leap to pass, thus the rest of classes can't reach that zone)

when the barb reach the other side by leaps (croak! Croak!) he will find a Totem or glacial stalactite that had the item but need to break it (immune to elementes and physical except Magic & poison to avoid a sorceress enter here and get it)[/quote]

I've been thinking about this subquest and how it could be implemented to really make it so only the Barbarian can cross the islands...and I came up with a clever idea that I thought I'd share, though I'm not sure whether you'd want to use it or not.

The sorceress would have to use teleport to cross the islands, but teleport costs mana...so you could put a ward/obelisk in the area with an aura that makes players' maximum mana drop to zero or 1 (or quickly drains it to zero, regardless of warmth/meditation). Then, if either the Barbarian's leap or leap attack consumes no mana, only the Barbarian would actually able to cross the islands (it might also be necessary to raise the minimum cost of Teleport to 2 mana to fully lock it down, depending on how it's implemented).

Depending on how you design the area, a Sorceress might be able to teleport herself onto one of the islands from outside the range of the aura, and get herself stuck (unless she thinks to use a town portal). In that case, it would be important that there be a suitably nasty swamp monster who is using just exactly that trap to catch its prey...

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:51 pm

Updated the quest code today to handle Special cases of rewards. This will allow me to add different rewards depend on your class to same quest.

Return to “Dark Alliance”