DrTester unable to open d2char.mpq and patchd2.mpq

This would be the forum for questions about how to work with mod making tools which can be a problem of its own.

Moderator: Paul Siramy

FrodoOf9Fingers

DrTester unable to open d2char.mpq and patchd2.mpq

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:53 am

So, first of all, DrTester is working perfectly fine with d2data.mpq and d2exp.mpq.

Though I files I need are in d2char.mpq :(. I'm rather new to the modding community, so any help would be awesome.

I'm trying to extract several .COF files with their related .dcc, and figured that DrTester would be best. However, it doesn't seem to recognize my d2char.mpq. D2 itself runs fine, and I have DrTester running in XP/SP3 compatibility mode with admin privileges (In a windows 7 environment), and finally with a fresh installation of D2 updated to 1.13d. I'm confused as to why it doesn't open the d2char.mpq file.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Are there any other tools that would extract a .cof file with all of it's related .dcc files?

Lurix
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Bulgaria

Re: DrTester unable to open d2char.mpq and patchd2.mpq

Post by Lurix » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:15 am

Download WinMPQ, much better.
I don`t even remember what Dr.Tester is doing? Downloaded once, never got used.

misiek1294
Paladin
Poland

Post by misiek1294 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Look to Your registry key for location d2char.mpq .. For me drtester works for all mpq HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II For me InstallPath and look where showing ur mpq maybe u have other diablo

FrodoOf9Fingers

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:22 pm

The install path is correct, although there's no registry key describing any mpq files. When using DrTester, it has the exact path to the correct file, but it doesn't show anything in the said MPQ.

Normally, I use Ladik's MPQ Editor, but I need to extract a .cof file and all of it's .dcc files. The .dcc files are scattered in various folders, being in number of 60+. I could spend an hour hunting them, but if what I'm working on works, then the process will ned to be repeated several times. DrTester is known to be able to extract all of the appropriate files with just a few mouse clicks, I just wish I could get it to work.

Return to “Tools”