Pass/fail summin skill

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Pass/fail summin skill

Post by k0r3l1k » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Does anyone know of a way to make a summon skill only cast able if one or more stats have value X or above?

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Re: Pass/fail summin skill

Post by jetaman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:49 am

I think that's very easy to do with condition formula.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:26 pm

This issue is no longer relevant to my plans. For the record I will say that summon skill or not, I don't know of a way to lock out a skill from being cast via formulas.
To my knowledge it is impossible, and this is something I have spend a great deal of effort investigating.

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm

It is very much possible: i've seen it a lot in MedianXL. For example, when you use morph, it allows only the use of melee skills. Or there are three uber skills at level 90, you choose one, and two others are blocked. Or as a paladin, you choose Holy or Unholy build, if you choose one, the other is blocked.
You can get the files and look how it is used. Brother Laz released his txt files in his last version. Would you like to look in the files?

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Those all use skpt column to lock out access to the learning the skill. There is no way to lock out the casting of a learned skill.

Regarding transformations, it is possible to lock out certain skills when the player is affected by or not affected by certain states, but how those states are applied/removed becomes an issue itself.

My purposes require a simple stat comparison to enable/disable the skill. As said above the topic is purely academic at this point, as I no longer need it for the purpose of my skill design.
However, I did get an add-on from kingpin which allows formula for mana cost, however that add on is no longer compatible with my mod, so it cannot be used here.

The above statements refer to vanilla.

Edit:
Sorry form my atrocious grammar here, writing on my phone doesn't make for fluent sentence structure.

Also, I am not trying to be argumentative or arrogant. I really would like to know a trick to do this and my comments are meant to clarify what I was seeking to do.

Additional comments or ideas are very welcome on the topic.

Vav

Post by Vav » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:16 am

k0r3l1k" wrote:Those all use skpt column to lock out access to the learning the skill. There is no way to lock out the casting of a learned skill.

Regarding transformations, it is possible to lock out certain skills when the player is affected by or not affected by certain states, but how those states are applied/removed becomes an issue itself.

My purposes require a simple stat comparison to enable/disable the skill. As said above the topic is purely academic at this point, as I no longer need it for the purpose of my skill design.
However, I did get an add-on from kingpin which allows formula for mana cost, however that add on is no longer compatible with my mod, so it cannot be used here.

The above statements refer to vanilla.

Edit:
Sorry form my atrocious grammar here, writing on my phone doesn't make for fluent sentence structure.

Also, I am not trying to be argumentative or arrogant. I really would like to know a trick to do this and my comments are meant to clarify what I was seeking to do.

Additional comments or ideas are very welcome on the topic.
The only thing I can really think of, have you tried using the stat as the amount of summons allowed? For example in skills.txt set the max summon column to 0, then use a condition formula so if you have a specific stat it gives you the correct amount of max summons.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:29 am

Vav" wrote: The only thing I can really think of, have you tried using the stat as the amount of summons allowed? For example in skills.txt set the max summon column to 0, then use a condition formula so if you have a specific stat it gives you the correct amount of max summons.
We already tested that, the petmax will always default to 1.
Official Phrozen Keep Discord
Common Modding tools: link
My Resource Packs: link

Vav

Post by Vav » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 am

Black_Eternity" wrote:
Vav" wrote: The only thing I can really think of, have you tried using the stat as the amount of summons allowed? For example in skills.txt set the max summon column to 0, then use a condition formula so if you have a specific stat it gives you the correct amount of max summons.
We already tested that, the petmax will always default to 1.
That's unfortunate, I am afraid the only thing I can think of you can really do at this point softcode wise is use a stat check formula on the delay / cooldown, of course this will still allow them to cast it once before the massive cooldown kicks in to lock it out, so its not a proper solution.

Return to “Skill Clinic”