[THOC] Skills

Information and updates for The Hordes of Chaos mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Darque, Yohann, afj666

theonlymoose
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: [THOC] Skills

Post by theonlymoose » Tue May 10, 2005 8:48 pm

[quote=Darque";p="223861"]Due to user comments regarding witch skills, I have updated 2 skills for the witch. I have removed Spirit of Barbs and Heart of Wolverine Skill and replaced them with the following:

Summon Familiar
Summons a familiar in the form of a cat that follows the witch. The familiar allows the party to regenerate mana at a faster rate.

Protection of the Goddess
A prayer to the Goddess that will deflect damage taken by the witch.
Screenshot[/quote]

So does that mean that there is a new download with the updated stuff?

Darque
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Darque » Tue May 10, 2005 10:18 pm

Sometime Soon

UPDATE:
Another skill replacement completed, this time for necro to replace Dark Sacrifice:

Bloodlust
Bloodlust is a necromancer aura that gives the party members a lifedrain on hit bonus.
Screenshot

UPDATE 7/13/2005:
I have decided to change some monk skills to remove some repitition of skills. Tiger strike, dragon talon, and cobra strike will be removed from the monk skills. They will be replaced with:

Tiger Stance:
Aura - Increases your accuracy and damage and decreases your defense and armor.

Diving Dragon:
Launches a fiery flying kick at the monk's target.

Rapid Swings:
Allows the monk to attack multiple targets with his staff.
Last edited by Darque on Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diabolic Studios Web Site | Forum
THoC Beta v8.1Download | Feedback

Infinitum Web Site
Read The Forum Terms of Service

Les Ernas

Post by Les Ernas » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:03 pm

Hi everyone!

No posts/edits since july?
Well, since this topic still exists I think I can add another skill [The more skills, the better it is -> more different char-types :) ]

So, here we go:

Name:
Loveless
Alternative name:
ahh, won't come to my mind... :roll:
Description:
When you use this skill on a monster, it will take massive magic damage. If the monster dies because of this magic damage, it explodes like corpse explosion and the corpse releases chain-lightning like Phoenix-Strike with its 2nd charge.
Skillreq. :
Phew :?: That depends on the magic damage (more damage -> more kills ->more cl-releases). But since you can only cast one cl per monster I would say lv 24. But that's just me ;)
Damage:
The magic damage should be high enough to kill something (at least some minor enemies), otherwise you won't see any cl.
Manacost:
Well, hard to say. If the general damage of the skill is high, it should cost a good piece of your mana.
Synergies:
Magic mastery
and lightning mastery (of course :cool: )

That's it.

Oh and one question if I may (don't want to start a new topic for this :roll: ):
I'm new to THoC, and I'm wondering how I can put points into skills like fire-mastery (which is a synergy for Holy Fire) or magi mastery (for Blessed Hammer). I play a monk and I can't find them on the 3 skillpages... there's only this icon on the left side of the screen which says it will show some extra thingies... ?!?
Last edited by Les Ernas on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two hens, three geese

Darque
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Darque » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:16 pm

Currently the Mastery Skills can only be gained from magically enhanced items. I might make some changes to this next version.

Infinitum Web Site

karix

Post by karix » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:25 am

Hi, just got the mod been fiddling for a little bit and i seeing as i am stuck with my ww assassin at the end of act 3 (driders bug you already know about heh) I am trying all the other classes. Just been messing with the elf and I was trying to figure out what the deal with their sword is.. does anyone actually focus entirely on sword or is it just a secondary weapon that you use occasionally? dont see any advantage to using it over a bow is all, any light you could shine on this would be awesome

- thanks

karix

Darque
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Darque » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:43 pm

My view of the elven sword skills is as a primary weapon for some, a secondary weapon for bow elves. If you have some suggestions on how to make the sword skills better, feel free to post them.

Infinitum Web Site

karix

Post by karix » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:37 pm

i can see why they get used now... a 2h sword does alot more dmg against regen mobs like trolls especially when using cleave, and you would kill special mobs alot quick with a sword that a bow.

but cleave and lunge seem to be very similiar skills - in that their main role is to greatly increase the amount of dmg that an elfs sword does. Cleave has like 300% dmg to start with compared to lunge's 50% tho.. both start with 100%.. cleave eats up your durability - but that is easily fixed by occasional visits to town - which isn't a big deal - and isn't there a cube recipe that repairs items too? (not sure havent explored that yet)

wouldnt a sword elf need an AOE sword skill it thrive against massive groups of mobs?

Bows have multi arrow and strafe.. just 1 good skill that attacked multiple targets for swords would make them a much more viable option. Something like whirlwind (already done i know) or the old amazon skill - fend.. or even jab (could be renamed slash to suit sword) - my mate was spearazon crazy in vanilla and swore by jab. Even a zeal clone... although WW would obviously be the funkiest heh. frenzy could be considered but i remember reading that giving elves double sword weilding wasnt on the cards right now

the class is good as it is right now though. Just that its only really got one option for weapon choice.. bows... but you can go variety in other skill tree choices so its nothing to fret over in the immediate future :> although i spose some of the charm lies in that you could focus mainly on bow for groups - with a bunch of cleave to own bosses :> so you can mix it up a bit and feel leet with your weapon switching. Just depends on what you're aiming for with the class .

-karix
Last edited by karix on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darque
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Darque » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:17 pm

hmm...an AOE sword skill is needed for elf...will think about that one for next ver of THoC

Infinitum Web Site

Verbatim
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Verbatim » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:33 am

[quote=Darque";p="143871"]
Do to a lack of a pet ranged attack AI, I had to can the Summon Skeleton Archer Necromancer spell.[/quote]

Um....couldn't you just use the AI from skeleton mages? Or from rogue merc? Also, the Revive AI, which is generally horrible, works very well with archers of all types. Assuming it'd be possible to copy just one of those, switch the animation, and give it physical dmg, there shouldn't be anything preventing Necro from getting skellie archers.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:55 am

Um....couldn't you just use the AI from skeleton mages? Or from rogue merc? Also, the Revive AI, which is generally horrible, works very well with archers of all types. Assuming it'd be possible to copy just one of those, switch the animation, and give it physical dmg, there shouldn't be anything preventing Necro from getting skellie archers.
That depend what align it have. If it's friendly align you can't use any enemy ai, in that case we are stuck to those we have. Best friendly ai is shadowmaster.

Yayme

Post by Yayme » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:40 am

Just a couple of quick questions.

Summon ghoul... eeeesssshhhhh it moves so slow....... can't its movement be upgraded a bit? everything is dead before it even has a chance to catch up.

whats the point of having summon wraith? does 1-3 damage at lvl 1, 1-3 damage at lvl 2, 1-3 damage at level 3..... what is the point in that? as if 1-3 damage is going to be of any use outside the first area! and if it still has 1-3 damage in NM and Hell diffs then it is just pointless in even bothering with it. dump it and bring back summon resist at least that was useful, at the momment any summons that stand in the fire that gets cast in the doorways in the cellar bit in the great hall will last about 1 sec.

why oh why are necros always consigned to the 'dagger' bin? of course they have raised summons so they never have to hit anything so it doen't matter about the damage they do.... personally I like to get my hand in and get in there hitting, I mean did you ever see the old pally in norm D2 ever swing a dagger? I don't think so..... :roll:

Return to “The Hordes of Chaos”