Patch 1.01...

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

<t>Patch 1.01 will be...</t>

...small patch released soon, but with less bugfixes
46%
...big patch released later, but with many bugfixes
50%
...who cares
4%

Total votes: 48

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Patch 1.01...

Post by onyx » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:42 pm

After so much feedback, it's clear that BTH v1.00 won't be the last you see from the mod ;) So, a patch should be on the way. Now there are two ways to do this:

:arrow: Release a quick patch that fixes a lot of stuff, but not everything. Such patch would only fix things that are easily fixable, like Psychorbs range for example, balance some skills and so on. It wouldn't feature a fix for the Blood Wizard crash or casting Town Portal in tows. I can probably put such patch out in a couple of weeks or so. It would leave many bugs unsolved.

:arrow: Release a big patch when it's done. This patch would address many (if not all) of the bugs that you all shared, including things like the Blood Wizard crash and maybe even solve the problems with the Diablo quest. Of course, this would take a lot longer to release, perhaps months.

EDIT: Some clarifications here - bugfixes will come anyway one after another. The question is more how long are you prepared to stay with the current release (v1.00) waiting for a patch, and how disappointed would you be if the bug you reported wasn't fixed in the new patch. I usually like to polish my patches and cram up as many things in them as I can, but on the other hand, there are things in the current version that need immediate attention.

So, which one do you prefer and why?
Last edited by onyx on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

RoyalFlush

Re: Patch 1.01...

Post by RoyalFlush » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:50 pm

Glad to hear that you're going to continue work on the mod (although i didn't expect otherwise :D ) I voted for the first option, but of course greater bugfixes would be also welcome. Maybe a first small patch and the bigger later on?

CorniI
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by CorniI » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:53 pm

I voted for 1st option, because a small bugfix-patch is better than nothing, and just release the rest of the bugfixes when they are ready (hav got time to code, etc.)
The patch with the bigger fixes could also be 1.10
The more important stuff more is that you try to keep compatibility with 1.00, at least with the minor patch
Corni
Linux is like a Wigwam - NO Windows, no Gates and Apache inside

rasty

Post by rasty » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:24 pm

I prefer one big patch.The game isn't so buggy and i can wait a few months.

Haynen

Post by Haynen » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:23 pm

Well seeing how the monk does not even get %ED on staves, a patch as soon as possible that includes %ED on staves to make the monk more viable would probably be good

That would seem to me at least the only urgent easily fixed patch agenda item

The other urgent patch agenda items such as the Diablo bug, blood wizard bug, and elixer malfunctions probably would take much longer, so in my opinion release a small patch with some easily fixed stuff such as %ED on staves and whatever else you want and them come back with the harder to fix issues patch(s) later

IgorTheMighty

Post by IgorTheMighty » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Hello Onyx. I think that it would be better if you fix some minor bugs first. I agree with Aggrocorni entirely. Major bugfixes have to wait, cause they will take you long time, especially when they are hard to fix. So small patch is the best solution. At least some bugs will be eliminated soon. :P Therefore I vote for the first option. Onyx continue your great work! ;)
I can see what you see not, vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone, whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be, shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind, cast down into the Halls of the Blind.

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:02 pm

Most of the small bugs are quite not so bad except for the no + damage for staff (Not because I am currently using a monk... this bug is gonna affect the character if not in normal but in Nightmare for sure lol)

Though I voted for big patch at first.... I kind of changed my mind.. with little patch release addressing smaller bug then a bigger one fix up all the crazy big bugs would be really nice. Since this mod gained more popularity recently, with quick fix of smaller things probabaly is better for general publics as well

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:38 pm

I vote for a small patch first. Making some of the new characters more balanced, as long as this is a focus on the small patch, will advance this mod much further. Then by the time you fix some bigger issues months down the line, the characters will have already gone through several revisions of balancing. In other words, it will help us get playtesting out of the way faster.

Edit. This is strange. The poll is leaning towards a big patch only, but only one person who posted on this thread said he voted for one big patch.

Could anyone explain why they want the big patch instead? Is it because they are worried the patch fixing more serious issues won't be released if they vote for the small patch? Because that isn't the case. If no response, I guess there is no misunderstanding. Maybe they are people who want to play after the game is patched, and not until then. Kind of a wait and see approach. Not everyone is into beta testing. It can be disappointing sometimes when a feature you really wanted doesn't work.
Last edited by D2 MOD player on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:46 pm

I voted for big patch by mistake :( so it should be 7 vs 6

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:03 pm

I think your right, thanks for the explanation. It was right there in front of me and I didn't see! (at least part of my question, others would have to answer the second part of why they voted for a big patch).
Last edited by D2 MOD player on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:06 am

I voted for minor patch first. As, it's most logic to fix whats broken before start on bigger things again :)

Abuzz

Post by Abuzz » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:49 am

Big patch.

i'm patient and i dont want onyx to get burnt out fixing things quickly.

i'm patiently saying ASAP.

MrSpectator

Post by MrSpectator » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:56 pm

was doubting between quickl patch or big patch.
Small patch, because there are some issues that could use some fixing. But like you said it will not fix most of the bugs. And i think the most important bugs wouldn't be fixed in a quick patch (since they seem harder to fix to me)
Big patch, because then alot of things get fixed at the same time and i'm patient enough to wait :)
So i voted for a big patch

Hygiliak
Champion of the Light
Romania

Post by Hygiliak » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Definitely a small patch first, followed by a big one when the major bugs are solved.
Death is not an option!

Vega

Post by Vega » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:32 am

I say small patch first.

FoxBat
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by FoxBat » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:26 pm

What exactly are the downsides of a small patch? Go for it, my monk will thank you...

Hmm PS. I am hoping you have a way to distribute patches without making someone re-download the whole gig. :P

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:04 am

FoxBat";p="376855" wrote:What exactly are the downsides of a small patch?
The downsides are that it wouldn't fix the most important bugs and this might annoy people.
FoxBat";p="376855" wrote: Hmm PS. I am hoping you have a way to distribute patches without making someone re-download the whole gig. :P
Of course I do. Otherwise a small patch would have been out of the question :P
ONYX

Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Valherran
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Valherran » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:14 am

I say take your time and release it later, its going to take me many months just to complete the MOD with all the characters anyways. ;)

Krabator

Post by Krabator » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:47 am

Personaly i play many mods at the same time, so i prefer wait more for one mod but with better quality.

THX

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:23 am

Well it now looks like, keeping in mind the one vote that was changed, we are exactly even at 50%. Onyx? How about that tie breaking vote? It is your mod, you decide. hehe. I realize the purpose of the vote was so we could decide. So it's only fitting with an even vote we don't decide ?! :x

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:17 am

Yeah, the poll doesn't seem to help much with the choice. Valid points have been raised from both sides, but I guess the 2 votes for "who cares" win! :)

Now seriously, I think I'll work on a small patch first, which might eventually turn into a bigger patch. Just know that some fixes don't depend on me and I have no idea when they will be done. When I'm done fixing and tweaking everything I can, I'll release the next version.
ONYX

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:36 am

Right, they depend on Blizards fine craftsmanship. ;)

CorniI
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by CorniI » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:28 pm

or on Havvoric's time (he's onyx's coder), so you will see a blood wizard fix not before he got time to make one :P
Linux is like a Wigwam - NO Windows, no Gates and Apache inside

nano352

Post by nano352 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:56 pm

If you still want people's opinions I'd say make a small patch of what can easily be fixed and then work on a big patch. Also do you plan on trying to fix the vista tcp/ip bug?

Valherran
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Valherran » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:32 am

51% on Big patch (the 1 i voted) :)

Return to “Back to Hellfire”