Act II - Tombs

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.
Death_Metallian

Act II - Tombs

Post by Death_Metallian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:24 am

Just finished Jail lv3 and got the 2nd torn note...Cant find the Tombs...Anyone can help?

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:54 am

The stairway to the Tombs is located in the upper left corner of Jail Level 3, but it doesn't show on the minimap.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Death_Metallian

Re: Act II - Tombs

Post by Death_Metallian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:18 am

Yeah,finally found it. Thanks! Too bad there's little glitches with the mini-map...But you're mod rocks,seriously it makes me remember the good old times when I used to play Diablo 1 and getting a Knight's Sword of the Heaven whith Goldy Plate of The Whales and all thoses items to beat Diablo...haha that was fun. but you're mod rocks, when can we expect a 1.02? Theres still little problems with the Mercs (aura for Act 2) and the drops from the big monster (Belial, Chupacabras)...man are they low lol, I died like 10 times againts Chupacabras to get a Magic bow...lol

Neway keep up the good work!
Last edited by Death_Metallian on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:44 am

Hey, that was one of the better compliments I've seen to the mod. You didn't just say, "nice job", but you described the gameplay in a quite geeky fashion allowing all D1 fans to bask in the story of your old tale defeating Diablo. :P

As a side note. I finished off a big boss that had a randomly generated name, "Federal income tax". He was tough going at first but then I upgraded my armor with Turbotax Premier to report those sold stocks and bonds, and I had all my papers filed properly beforehand so I just put in the numbers and ran. I completed the level in record time and survived a near mechanical failure with my printer cube recipe. I was promised great rewards, 600 dollars to be exact, but I had to pay 800 to get it (still trying to figure out how the federal government expects me to spend my refund when technically there is none, I guess the economy really won't be stimulated). It was like doing Onyx's answer to the secret cow level with daggers instead of a bow. I still haven't recovered from the thounsands lost in my stocks with the economic crash, err stash depletion. Watch out Andariel and Duriel, you've met your match. I gained 10 levels in just 2 hours. And now the feds can't put me in jail (I paid handsomely for that. Obeying the law, I mean completing all secret levels, costs a great deal). ;) I guess nobody asked for my 2 cents. :2c: Or did they? :mrgreen:

Death_Metallian

Post by Death_Metallian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:23 pm

LOL...what's up with all the tax reference and Diablo playing? :P

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Well, mainly because if I wasn't doing taxes I'd be playing BTH instead. It really kind of interferred with my free time, so I had to take out my anger somehow. That, and typing that up is the only fun I had that day. :)

Death_Metallian

Post by Death_Metallian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:15 am

Yeah...I get your point. Man am I going insane here! Finally arrived at Duriel with my lv 23 Warrior :cool: ...omg did I got owned! :x My god I mean not only are the drops so low that I can get even stronger but damn...this guy is INVINCIBLE! 8-O Damn I used up like 30 Full High Potions and got maybe 10 hits on Duriel. Even if I leveled up and get books,would take me like lv 50 to beat him...this guy is way too strong...he should be nerfed or something
Last edited by Death_Metallian on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Undiagnosed

Post by Undiagnosed » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:15 pm

same problem with my warrior with Duriel, getting frozen is a {filtered}, especially in BTH... what i did was equipped my merc (rogue) with a level 1 amplify bow and used holy shield with a vulpine shield, hacked and slashed and consumed so much pots to last me til yinyang... did this at level 25...

now i play a bard :mrgreen:

Hygiliak
Champion of the Light
Romania

Post by Hygiliak » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:12 pm

You need to have maximum cold resistance and also keep drink thawing potions every 20-30 sec, so you have 85. You will act like a tank and the hireling will do most of fthe damage so you better maximize her damage (if you have a act 2 merc this is going to be way harder, if you can't get past him just get a act 1 hireling with a powerful bow and pump a rage runweword in helm and/or armor and/or bow). If you need runes i suggest farming halls of the blind and catacombs level 2.
Death is not an option!

Death_Metallian

Post by Death_Metallian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:55 pm

8-O DAMN! I forgot bout thoses thawing potions! It might just work! :D I'm going to try that tonight, hope it works! Thanks for the idea!Now...be ready Duriel! Mwahahahah! :twisted:

Edit: By the way, where's the Hall Of the Blind? Also, is it normal if I haven't gotten the Chamber of Bones and Arkane Valor quest?
Last edited by Death_Metallian on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flaming Toadstool

Post by Flaming Toadstool » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:03 pm

The Chamber of Bone is located where you do the Snotspill quest (in the Catacombs I belive, lvl 3 or 4).

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:04 pm

[quote=Death_Metallian";p="383701"]8-O DAMN! I forgot bout thoses thawing potions! It might just work! :D I'm going to try that tonight, hope it works! Thanks for the idea!Now...be ready Duriel! Mwahahahah! :twisted:

Edit: By the way, where's the Hall Of the Blind? Also, is it normal if I haven't gotten the Chamber of Bones and Arkane Valor quest?[/quote]

You wont get Valor from the Chamber of Bones quest.. but plenty of bones to smash at :)
and its a good place to get ietms as well...

As for the Halls of the Blind quest...Look for certain ring like structure in Act1 level 2 in the cathedral....also talk to the drunk dude in town to find out how to get in.....
Last edited by biobaba on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suralin

Post by Suralin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:58 am

[quote=Undiagnosed";p="383688"]same problem with my warrior with Duriel, getting frozen is a {filtered}, especially in BTH... what i did was equipped my merc (rogue) with a level 1 amplify bow and used holy shield with a vulpine shield, hacked and slashed and consumed so much pots to last me til yinyang... did this at level 25...

now i play a bard :mrgreen:[/quote]

With my Monk, I and my hireling died almost immediately against Duriel.

Rather than try to survive against him, I just brought all my gold into the chamber with me, blasted one or two Elementals before croaking, and thereafter I wouldn't lose gold from dying, since my stash was empty and it was all lying on the ground in his chamber. Didn't bother resurrecting my hireling either.

I just repeatedly went in there naked, firing off as many Elementals as I could before Duriel tore me to pieces (usually 1 or 2). I had to sell off a ring I'd had in my bag in order to pay for more Town Portal scrolls.

After what had to be easily four dozen deaths, I finally took down Duriel, dug through the mound of mutilated monk corpses to retrieve my gear, and moved forward.

As a side question -- having not played through acts 3 through 5 yet -- is Arkaine's Valor a quest in BTH?

Death_Metallian

Post by Death_Metallian » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:49 am

Ok thanks...So where's the Arkane Valor then???

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:34 am

Yes.. It's there in the game

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:16 am

My job blocked every website today so I can no longer respond on weekdays unless I'm sick, but I will still post at night. :cry: (one more reasong to get a wireless device! :P ).

My main strategy for killing Duriel involves casting town portal before I get killed so I can get back quickly if I die. Make sure I have tons of money before taking him on. I never use thaw potions so I don't know how effective that is. And the 2 best strategies I've used that other players have already mentioned.
1. Get a rogue hireling. If you know your going to die don't bother unless you like resurrecting her over and over. If you don't attack Duriel right off and close in, he'll kill the hireling.
2. Max cold resistance. Maxing cold resistance I've found does 2 things. It's at least as good as having a ring that says it stops freeze to half duration, and it reduces damage of cold enchanged weapons (Duriel). Use a ranged attack at first, then switch to a melee weapon (if possible). As one player said, don't get too upset about dying but I'd still recommend retrieving your gear unless you've got spells you can do naked.
Put potions in your inventory so even if you portal out you don't have to keep stocking up. Shift click and refill with potions quickly (belt), attack, portal out when potions are gone, repeat, repeat.

Oh, this boss is one reason to make sure you have enough health before the encounter! Increasing attack speed will reduce the effectiveness of the freezing as well (if applicable). If you use attack rating on your character I'd recommend increasing it, you'll hit more often even if it doesn't have as much damage. If possible use an attack skill where it isn't possible to interrupt your attack, like concentrate on the bard. Duriel attacks pretty quickly while freezing you so it's possible to not get any hits on him at all. Second best, a skill that enhances attack speed beyond what your items are already doing.
When using spells I recommend not using anything that does cold damage if possible. Just like if you encounter a fire enchanged monster you probably don't want to throw firebolts at him.
Last edited by D2 MOD player on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Death_Metallian

Post by Death_Metallian » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:47 am

So yeah after 30 thawing potions and 150 full health potions later, I FINALLY DEFEATED DURIEL!!! WOUAHHHHHH!!!!! :D ...sorry overjoyed here :oops: . Neway god that was long, but hey it was worth it. So yeah my strategy was leaning againts a wall so he doesn't knock me back, the thawing potions reduces greatly the cold damage which was cool,but what saved me a lot was the Blade Shield with its Open Wounds chance. It damages a lot that skill, a real helpful one if I might add! Neway so just defeated Duriel and off to Kurast, can't wait! Thanks guys for your advices!!

P.S.: Duriel gave me the Thinking Cap whouhou! :P

Edit: Just finished the Maggot Quest for the Elixir...think im gonna be wormophobe lol...So after that, I have to go to into the sewers right?
Last edited by Death_Metallian on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hygiliak
Champion of the Light
Romania

Post by Hygiliak » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:42 am

Half freeze duration and cannot be frozen have no effect on duriel's aura, since it affects the char speed directly, not through cold effects. The cold damage it is just a bonus, but in his case it is huge. That's why you'd better drink thawing potions, because it increases your resistance to upto 85 (which means 40% less damage from cold compared to 75% resist), which is a big difference when considering duriel's huge cold damage.
Death is not an option!

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50 am

Well I don't think I ever did it in BTH but I think in vanilla or another mod, I've avoided being slowed down by Duriel at times when running around, with ranged attack characters.

I had no idea thaw potion did that, that's what I get for not trying everything!

Hygiliak
Champion of the Light
Romania

Post by Hygiliak » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:45 am

If you stay far enough you won't get slowed, the aura has quite a small range.
And about thawing potions, they have been doing that since vanilla 1.10 :D
Death is not an option!

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:18 am

[quote=Suralin";p="383747"]
As a side question -- having not played through acts 3 through 5 yet -- is Arkaine's Valor a quest in BTH?
[/quote]

No, it isn't. Arkaine's Valor is just a regular unique item. Forget about it until at least Act 4 Hell though ;)
ONYX

Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:33 am

Playing BTH is the same as you play Multiplayer in D1.... The quests are there but you dont get fixed unique items

RushPwnsX

Post by RushPwnsX » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:31 pm

[quote=Hygiliak";p="383698"]You need to have maximum cold resistance and also keep drink thawing potions every 20-30 sec, so you have 85. You will act like a tank and the hireling will do most of fthe damage so you better maximize her damage (if you have a act 2 merc this is going to be way harder, if you can't get past him just get a act 1 hireling with a powerful bow and pump a rage runweword in helm and/or armor and/or bow). If you need runes i suggest farming halls of the blind and catacombs level 2.[/quote]

SPOILER ALERT...
Last edited by RushPwnsX on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not giving in to security under pressure
I'm not missing out on the promise of adventure
I'm not giving up on implausible dreams" - Rush

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:34 am

Did you have to resurect a thread from April just to say that? Please, look at the dates of the posts before you submit.
ONYX

Return to “Back to Hellfire”