Question about Sacrifice self damage

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

TheFrozenLich

Question about Sacrifice self damage

Post by TheFrozenLich » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:41 pm

Hi, I am new to modding D2. I am currently trying to make a skill rebalancing mod for my single player use. I want to make the self damage % on using the Sacrifice of the Paladin to be a variable amount instead of a fixed number. However, on entering a value like 20-skill('Sacrifice'.blvl), the actual value in the game results in a very large number. I am not able to understand how the calculation is made. I tried the same by using the calc2 column but it results in the same behavior. Please advise.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: Question about Sacrifice self damage

Post by Cypress » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:11 pm

Hello and welcome!

Not all cells accept formulae. I'm guessing you tried to enter a formula into a param, which makes the game interpret that entire formula as a single number, which has large results. This thread is an excellent guide on formulae in Diablo 2: https://d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24813. It includes a list of all columns which accept formulae, as well as various valid references.

You are also likely using the default txt files, which are poorly maintained and do not link directly to relevant skills.txt entries. For example, Sacrifice's self-damage links to par3 instead of calc2, even though calc2 determines the self-damage, not par3. Likewise, Sacrifice's +damage% displays as "ln12+skill('Redemption'.blvl)*par8+skill('Fanaticism'.blvl)*par7" instead of "clc2", even though clc2 will always give the accurate +damage% value.

I strongly recommend that you download the newest basic version of Overworked, v6b5. See: https://mega.nz/file/4GhmSDTa#TZZLf30nH ... 1YX-ov_bjg. It includes various bug fixes and makes it so skilldescs properly link to their relevant skills.

Return to “Skill Clinic”