Mercenaries

Information and updates for mods created by Brother Laz. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Joel

oneillz808
Forum Regular
Angel

Mercenaries

Post by oneillz808 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:39 pm

hi everyone! im going to tell you some stuff i know about median mercs!

well start with act one mercs. they are the only girl mercs.

ranger - she has the skills vanquish, cascade, wraith arrow, defensive harmony, and wings of wrath.

she casts vanquish which her sister counterpart does not have so thats a plus. cascade is her best skill without a doubt. it is very useful because her range is incredible and it tells you where the enemies are. wraith arrow is useless and is just for style.

advantages - excellent range, vanquish for superb damage.

priestess - she has the skills barrage, pagan rites, guided chain, defensive harmony, and wings of wrath.

her barrage just sucks completely because you cant fire it continuously like the amazon can and it also has a limited range. youll see her a lot be in the sight of the enemy firing barrage, but not hitting. her skill pagan rites is the only reason why youd want to pick her. to eliminate corpses that might be revived. her one guided chain doesnt compare to multiple guided chains like the amazons in tran athulua, and once again you cant spam it like the amazon can.

advantages - bugged guided chain [which is a good thing], destroys corpses whilst healing herself.

conclusion; ranger pwns priestess so bad its not even hilarious. they both have incredibly low life though. they can only equip bows. not class bows, not amazon bows, and not crossbows.

moving onto act two mercs...

fighter mage - he has the skills titan strike, guard tower, glacial nova, berserk fury, and blessed life.

the worst merc of median. his titan strike can raise his stats a lot when he attacks enabling you to equip him with some high-end armor but you must constantly always be in the heat of battle. his titan strike doesnt heal fast enough. his guard tower is just completely useless. his glacial nova is useless because of immunity and random freeze immunity.

advantages - can freeze enemies if he casts glacial nova, free damage from guard tower, boosts his stat alot when attackin with titan strike.

holy - he has the skills retaliate, retribute, inner fire, berserk fury, and blessed life.

he relies on getting hit and sometimes he doesnt cast inner fire fast enough to stay alive. he casts retribute somewhat to lower the resistances of monsters. he is just good to knockback monsters with his retaliate and has a way better chance to survive than the fighter mage.

advantages - good aoe knockback, he can heal himself, lowers resistances of monsters.

shapeshifter - he has the skills claw tornado, werebear, bloodlust, berserk fury, and blessed life.

the staple merc-tank of median. and why not, he kicks ass. his claw tornado stuns enemies. but you cant use pierce missiles or something like that because of next delay. he casts bloodlust a good amount of time, and you wouldnt want that if you were an amazon who invested in bloodlust. he has the highest survivability out of all the mercs in median.

advantages - incredible life and survivability, casts bloodlust.

conclusion; shapeshifter owns holy, holy owns fighter mage, and fighter mage just sucks. the shapeshifter is the tank to get. they can equip spears and polearms.

moving onto act three mercs. they are the only mage mercs.

slayer - he has the skills elemental, punisher, gift of inner fire, arcane power, and mage armor.

the only mage merc that can deal two elemental damages. hes great to have in parties or if you have skills that deal cold and lightning damage.

advantages - deals two elemental damages; fire and poison. his punisher is a very high damage-dealing spell. heals the entire party.

necrolyte - he has the skills pandemonium, dark power, nightmare, arcane power, and mage armor.

a really great defensive-mage merc. his pandemonium deals cold damage which could slow enemies down. his nightmare spell definitely does slow them down. his dark power provies a little damage reduction, attack speed, and magic damage. great for necromancers who didnt invest in dark power or for melee chars.

advantages - can slow enemies down quite a bit with pandemonium and nightmare. casts dark power.

abjurer - he has the skills forked lightning, banish, lightning shield, arcane power, and mage armor.

a very deadly offensive merc to have. he casts banish on his enemies which lower their life, and casts lightning shield on you or himself. great for characters that can tank.

advantages - lowers the maximum life of monsters, casts lightning shield.

conclusion; good to use only if you are with a party. they can equip a sword and a shield.

moving onto act five mercs. they are the only mercs that can equip a class-only item.

barbarian - he has the skills shower of rocks, thunderslam, gift of the wild, circle of life, and mountain king.

he is second to tank of the shapeshifter. his survivability is lower than the shapeshifter. he has a problem with ranged attackers because of shower of rocks. he doesnt cast thunderslam that often and even if he does, sometimes the stun cant connect. hes great to use with ranged attacks that can deal with other ranged attackers.

advantages - good life, good survivability. good crowd control if thunderslam connects. casts mark of the wild.

conclusion; a mixture of act three and act two mercs. a good choice to have if you do have piercing missiles. he can equip barbarian only items.

-----

special thanks to
demonicangel - for including act four mercs. why didnt i remember them! >.<
pza - for telling me not to say that 'that' merc sucks, that will lead to nobody to choose them, so i put in advantages and will later on edit out the sucks part... maybe :P
doabli - the retribute thing. Lol.
bro lazy - for making mercs being able to do ubers.

to everyone else who reads this guide, offers their input even though they know im right, and whoever finds it useful!

your welcome ^.^
Last edited by oneillz808 on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:36 am, edited 6 times in total.

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Act IV mercs... they are the only mercs that do not exist.

-totally free
-they use no skills, and no attacks, yet cannot be killed

:twisted:

pza
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: Mercenaries

Post by pza » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:57 pm

maybe add the skills that they will have in the next patch in brackets :)

nice work. i'd agree in every point. slayer is good if you need a immune killer :)
[align=center] oh man - median2008 is awesome... thanks laz and his helpers...

[color=F0E68C]The New Area of Median![/color]

[color=bb5500]The ultimate [/color][color=ee2200]BLOODWITCH[/color] [color=bb5500]Guide[/color]

[color=000000]i, myself, have to admit: i have QQed until annoying laz. i'm a [/color][color=aa0000]sinner.[/color]
[/align]

oneillz808
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by oneillz808 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:00 am

thanks pza and demonicangel! :D

excuse my spelling errors, and unfortunately, i dont know what skills they will have in the next patch. i know that wraith arrow will get poison damage and lightning shield will be taken off.

i saw in a recent thread where laz said someone was getting perfect being but meh, this guide is current! xP

pza
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by pza » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:11 am

okok, but don't forget to update it then, when the patch comes out :)

maybe be a little less judging the single types of mercs. that leads to people not taking the "sucking" guys anymore. everyone would take the same merc and that is what sucks, you know ;)

[color=bb5500]The ultimate [/color][color=ee2200]BLOODWITCH[/color] [color=bb5500]Guide[/color]

[color=000000]i, myself, have to admit: i have QQed until annoying laz. i'm a [/color][color=aa0000]sinner.[/color]
[/align]

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 am

thanks pza and demonicangel!
Did you even read what I wrote? I didn't add anything of use! :lol:

You're welcome though. :P

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:49 am

Lol @ Wraith Arrow getting poison damage. I'm reminded of that old 'telephone' game.

I didn't even know the priestess had Vanquish... which might explain why she doesn't cast it very often for you. ;)
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

oneillz808
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by oneillz808 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:09 am

doesnt she... i couldve sworn i seen her casting that...

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:18 am

Perhaps you should've checked with http://modsbylaz.planetdiablo.gamespy.c ... lings.html first. :P

oneillz808
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by oneillz808 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:19 am

i did... lol =[

laz was right, its my obsession with items. i was using that unique breast plate for gift of vanquishing.

rickcarson
Paladin

Post by rickcarson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:26 am

I recently stuck with an Act 1 merc all through act 2, and at some point (presumably after hitting 24), there would occasionally be a massive number of glowing arrows raining in from the top left hand corner of the screen. In act 3 I chased it to the source, but couldn't see any archers (like if it had been the T&A bosses casting Legion).

Which skill was that?

(Am on 1.56 btw)

oneillz808
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by oneillz808 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:27 am

glowing arrows... or glowing ghosts//

it sounds like its wraith arrow!

Doabli
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Doabli » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:15 am

Most likely Phalanx. Probably on your weapon.
Stay away from ballet dancers with an attitude .

Skivverus
Champion of the Light

Post by Skivverus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 am

Phalanx, probably off of Kashya's Ambush (unique composite bow). Those do 2x weapon damage unless Laz changed it; this was originally a Druid bow skill which got changed into Elfin Arrows because no one figured out how to make Phalanx work (and the spell timer didn't help any).

Doabli
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Doabli » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:29 am

It should be 3/2. There shouldn't be any x2 skills any more (I remember Laz saying something about overflow) .

Skivverus
Champion of the Light

Post by Skivverus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:30 am

Shouldn't be, maybe, but there are.
Have a look at Sunspear.
And you can check that Phalanx has a x2 multiplier via the Grandeur runeword and the Malakbel jewelword if you have one of those.

That said, I think the overflow risk on those two skills (Sunspear and Phalanx) is fairly low - Sunspear gets used with javelin-type weapons, which are not known for their damage output, and Phalanx is apparently ignored by all the thirteen-thirty-seven folks.

rickcarson
Paladin

Post by rickcarson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:21 am

[quote=Skivverus";p="366622"]Phalanx, probably off of Kashya's Ambush (unique composite bow)....
[/quote]

That sounds vaguely plausible. Thanks! (And also thanks to Doabli)

[quote=Skivverus";p="366622"]....because no one figured out how to make Phalanx work (and the spell timer didn't help any).[/quote]

Yeah, timers blow goats.

I had been looking at Legion thinking that maybe it would be cool, but what I was seeing was very random (pretty as though), hardly anything go to the middle of the screen, as any trivially small random piece of scenery would block it. Aiming it would be impossible.

I may have to haul my idea for a Legion bowcaster out again and dust it off then if this wasn't Legion. I just couldn't see it being useful.

pza
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by pza » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:30 am

the point of legion is the incredible damage output in certain situations. it aims just lke firewall from CLoD and each arrow deals heavy damage. if you manage to aim them coreectly, they shoot in a line, they all hit the same enemy and therefore are really useful against bosses. also, it's a passive skill that supports your damage while you can do what you want. and there's another plus: you can cast Leader of the sun after you've casted legion, and the archers will be boosted by the amount of ed from LotS.

[/align]

Doabli
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Doabli » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:26 am

You can also cast LotS after spamming thousand of Barrage missiles. :P Even Wraith Arrow works, but if you want to shoot & cast then timing must be perfect.

Zeren
Paladin

Post by Zeren » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:58 am

Imo you underestimate the act2 Holy Merc.
For I, I have a longtime experience with this merc seconding my melee sorc and I found him to be a great help while knocking back enemies and using retribute. He also do use Inner fire quite often, sometimes not at the right moments, but did save himself.

True, the shapeshifter is quite the best merc around, high str, decent defence and has the most hp and damage in median.
(concidering polearms use str and dex as damage boost, I once closed up to 20k damage with him)

oneillz808
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by oneillz808 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:50 am

zeren, the holy merc's retribute as of right now is bugged. meaning its stuck at level one. not enough at terror and beyond.

Zeren
Paladin

Post by Zeren » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:24 am

As if retribute was the only good skill he had.
He still packs up a great retaliate with high damage, his retribute being "broken" at level one just gives it a small radius, but does work, or I wouldn't have ever kept his services.

But they are overcomed by shapeshifters and maybe act5 mercs.

Doabli
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Doabli » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:25 am

It is NOT BUGGED !!!

All minions skills (excluding the elemental attacks of Act 3 mercs) are at their base levels.

oneillz808
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by oneillz808 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:28 am

i didnt say retribute was the only good skill he had. and i didnt know that retribute wasnt bugged... i thought i read it somewhere recently where it said it was...

Doabli
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Doabli » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:31 am

I did ask Laz to buff it in the feedback thread, but not as a bug report. :lol:

It also means if you have a buff/debuff similar to your merc's , then skip that merc because he uses a much weaker version than yours.

Return to “Mods By Laz”