Not just a random error

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

Feanor

Not just a random error

Post by Feanor » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:09 am

Well, it turns out my error wasn't a fluke. I've tried playing D2 again and again on act 1 nightmare, but whenever Pally_Dan tries to hit a unique monster, be it a returned or a gargantuan beast, I get the error I posted a few days ago. Well, I guess I'l go back to playing NWN until you can find out what's causing this, and why it may be only me.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:22 am

When you hit a unique monster? And only when you hit a unique monster?

:? :? :? :? :?

Ummmm....that makes no sense at all.

At first, when I read your message, I thought maybe your character has an item with a hit-skill or att-skill that's buggy.

Maybe that's still the case, and there's some kind of skill that doesn't like to be launched on unique monsters.

Tell me any and all cases on any items in your possession (be it weapons, armor, charms, whatever) that have "chance to case when striking" and "chance to cast on hit."

I may have the wording somewhat wrong, but I think you know what I mean.

I need to know the items these appear on and the specific skills/level/% chance to cast.

Give me a comprehensive list and I'll see what I can figure out.

That's the only thing that even seems plausible to me at this point.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Feanor

Post by Feanor » Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:17 am

sorry jeff, but I do not have any items with those attributes attached to them. No "5% Arctic Lances" stuff or whatever. Also, my bug does not ALWAYS go off when I hit a unique monster. Sometimes, it's just when I'm running away, or picking up loot, or sometimes, yes, when I'm hitting a monster, but also when a monster is hitting me, or my merc (Act 3 Ice) is hitting a onster with his spell. Also, this error is exclusive to Nightmare, Act 1 Normal, nothing. My mercenary is level 34, 200,000 xps away from 35, and I have Isenhart's sword, breastplate, helm. I have sanders' riprap (Bone Shield) and gloves. I have the Mahim-Oak-Curio Amulet, and an armor ring socketed with an "um" rune. (+22 to all resists) my other ring is the unique protective ring socketed with a cruciform of judgement (+2 all Pally skills) My charms are the Golgotha charm and the Miracle pouch charm. My belt is some set belt, but nothing special. my boots are something, but again, nothing special. I use zeal and fanatisicm, but the error also comes up with fist of the heavans, too, so I'm guessing it's not the skills. Anyway, here is the error that always comes up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Assertation Failure
Location :C:\Projects\Diablo\Source\D2Common\DATABLS\Sequence.cpp, line #2863
Expression : nIndex !=0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, there ya go, it seems pretty vague to me, but I can't go on in nightmare without being able to run in the killing fields.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:42 am

Boy, this is a stumper. I know others have gotten through Act 1 Normal.

The question is: Is anyone else have the kinds of problems you are so that I might have a better chance of figuring it out.

It's odd. When I release the various version 1's of this mod, I had one player who just got trashed at every turn in the mod. I guess for the verson 2's...you got that dubious honor.

But I'll try to figure something out if I can. If.... :-|
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Azmodan
Paladin

Post by Azmodan » Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:01 am

@Feanor

Try to let some monster to kill your merc and then try to play alone maybe act3 merc is somehow buggy (weird .... your merc is still lvl34 so it should no problem) . But you could try thou

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:28 am

If that does turn out to be the solution, that's it for any merc changes...the hireling.txt file will go back to its original unmodded form if another damn merc cheeses me off. ;)
-Jeff Bouley

Feanor

but...

Post by Feanor » Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:36 pm

but, but, my act 3 merc is invaluable! He's been by my side since, well Act 3! Eh, oh well. Would hiring a new mercenary work? An act 3 mercenary, just not ice? I'll try that.

Azmodan
Paladin

Post by Azmodan » Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:59 pm

Uhmm yea.. i know its maybe feel hurt to lose your merc after hes been with you so long :mrgreen: . Well im not using any merc now , just play alone :) but dunno about the other act3 merc is gonna cause crash or not . But have you tried to play without your merc ? if yes is that still crash or no ?

Anyway i just tried to using act3 merc (crystal magic) again but this time i hire him at NM diff ( merc lvl is around 62-65 ) and yup he have new spell , a modified spell looks like teeth but using freeze effect , but after playing a few minutes its crashes again and i got the same error like before so better play alone with no merc .

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:45 am

Hopefully, the replacement of that spell with a more "traditional" one in 2.1 will solve the problem. If not, I'll just have to weep :cry:

Version 2.1....hopefully by the weekend...almost certainly within the next couple weeks. Lord willin' ;)
-Jeff Bouley

Feanor

yup

Post by Feanor » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:01 pm

Yup, hiring a new mercenary worked in act 1, even tho she sucks. Also, ALL the mercenary's, not just the crystal ones cause that error. Just to let you know.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:15 pm

Please be more specific. All the Act 3 mercs crash...in all specialties...or mercs from other acts as well?

In any case, I am going to revert all Act 3 mercs back to the original Blizzard settings.

I just want to make sure no mercs from other acts are doing twitchy things, because I think I modified some of the aura for Act 2 mercs...and if those are causing any crashes, I'd like to know.

Sorry about that, folks...I don't know where I messed up on skills, as I know it's possible to give new skills to several of the mercs. I'll save that for some long-distant version of the game, I guess...maybe 3.0 ;) ;)
-Jeff Bouley

Feanor

sorry

Post by Feanor » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:42 pm

sorry jeff, I meant all ACT 3 mercenaries cause the crash in all acts above Normal difficulty. Well, I'm assuming, cause I only tried 2.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:12 pm

Thanks...I'll get on that for version 2.1 :)
-Jeff Bouley

Return to “Arcanum Archives”