Bug in v2.20

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

No votes

Total votes: 0

ETA

Bug in v2.20

Post by ETA » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:40 pm

Hi Jeff,

While I love the mod I was a bit perturbed to find a crash bug in v2.20. If you do not retrieve your Necromancers corpse while the Viper Gem he starts with is equipped it corrupts the save game file and that character becomes unusable. I was off playing the latest version of Seven Lances for a few days but I will test out a new Necro and let you know what the error message is.

Assertion Failure
Location: C;\Src\Diablo2\Source\D2Common\UNITS\Units.cpp, line#1710
Expression: hUnit

Hope that helps...
Frodo Lives

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Re: Bug in v2.20

Post by jbouley » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:02 pm

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that doesn't make any sense. I've never heard of this crash bug before, and the Viper Gem is nothing more than a poison throwing potion with a different inventory graphic.

So why this would cause character corruption is beyond me...and I've never heard reports of problems like this before with the necro. And aside from boosting damage for some of his poison skills, I haven't touched that character at all since 2.1
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

ETA

Post by ETA » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:37 pm

It is not a major problem by far since ut will only occur IF you have The Original Viper Gem equipped on your corpse and you DO NOT rettrieve it before exiting the game.

I will just think of it as a leaking vial of poison that corrupts my corpse if I don't go out and get it off of it imediately 8-O
Frodo Lives

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:32 am

Weird. :silly:
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

DreamBreaker
Paladin

another "bugs"?

Post by DreamBreaker » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:21 am

well, i recentky started an assassin in SIC v2.2, and i noticed a couple of weird things:

- In the character selection screen, my assassin looks like the"kurast wandering diablo", you know, the invincible guy at the exit of the docks, wearing a brown robe. weird, isn't it (but very funny)

- another funny thing: when equiped whith two weapons, if one(or both) weapons are katanas, well, the katana desapear of her hands.

- It's rather common to find "+14 claw mastery" claw armors. they always are like that when rare(yellow), and sometimes become it when creating socket(I have such an armor, with the stealth rune word, and a +14...)

- moreover, i noticed that sometimes, runewords just don't works on items they are suppose to do. for example, a TalEth word on an "assassin armor" didn't work. I suppose it's because i made it soketable with "socketer tool", but i'm not sure.
I'm am sure of one thing : the item was not "magical + socketable".

- at last, the item drop is sometime strange in normal mode: two of the Mephisto's bodyguards(the lasts members of the coucil) always drops elite and exeptional magic item, which are always a part of the necro set(tang goul, i think).they are magical, and not set.
Mephisto had never drop me a set in normal, too.

well, the most of this things are not quite important, but if could verify for se rune words, it would be could(I waste a lots of runes whith that!)).
I'm just a french fan..

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:45 pm

the katana "bug" is known...the problem is there are no dual-wield sword animations for the assassin, only claw animations.

Thus, by making them claw-class, they can be dual-wielded, but will become invisible. I wish it weren't the case, but I didn't want to switch them to sword class and lose any claw-based bosuses.

+14 skill on a claw armor that isn't unique or set is a problem....uh, I don't know what's going on with that

Don't know what's up with Mephisto drops either. I'll add that to the ever-growing 2.21 "to do" list.

Runewords sometimes seem not to work well on special class-oriented armors. Not sure why. I seem to recall some issues with runewords on druid armor as well. Not sure if it's consistently a problem or just periodically.
-Jeff Bouley

DreamBreaker
Paladin

Post by DreamBreaker » Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:02 pm

about the invisible Katana: isn't it possible to use another weapon? scissors katar can't be worse than empty hands...
And for the strange appearence of my assassin in the select player screen? on purpose?

By the way, I noticed that assassin cloaks(not sure of the name: it's an armor that can also equipped as a shield, whith a 14 AC i think) tend to change graphically when addind sokets whith recipe.
Is it possble that you created 2 items whith se same name and same AC, but with different graphics?
I'm just a french fan..

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:30 am

I've learned a bit about creating new item types since I made the katana...I suppose I could assign it a new type in which it gets assassin bonuses but is single-wield only.

I admit that I don't play the assassin much...are there any assassin claw-based skills that work with a single claw and don't require you to dual-wield?

If there are, that is one good reason to keep them claw-class...my intention was to allow the katana to be a useful assassin weapon...but I never really intended it to be dual-wielded.

I don't know what's causing the assassin dispaly bug in the character screen...I've never had that happen. I've had armor and weapons display oddly sometimes because of the game getting confused between my weapons/armor and how unmodded D2 expects them to look...but I've never had the Wanderer appear on the screen.

The cloak is changing graphically to another kind of cloak? Huh. I have no idea...it wouldn't matter if I had items with the same name...each item has a unique item code. And the socketing recipes are designed to use the same base type when the sockets are added...so I'm beginning to wonder if there is something odd with your copy of the mod or something in your D2 folder that is causing weird displays.

:scratchhead:
-Jeff Bouley

Max-Violence
Paladin
Location: ZzzzZZZzzzzzzZ?ZZzzzzZ?Zzzzzzzz?...zzzzzzz?zzzZZZzzz...

Post by Max-Violence » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:02 am

jbouley";p="74151" wrote:are there any assassin claw-based skills that work with a single claw and don't require you to dual-wield?
Without being able to double-check what I'm about to say (long story, don't ask...), I'd say that the only skills that need 2 claws equipped are Weapon Block and Dragon Claw.
SiC 2.21 is out finally! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

*Astalion*
Arch-Angel

Post by *Astalion* » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:09 am

The cloaked character on selection screen has also been in the Zy-El mod, while using those magic arrows.

DreamBreaker, what items were you using when your character looked like that?
I suspect it might have to do with dual-wielding katanas, or dual-wielding when one of them is a katana.
--About me:
--Links: Forum ToS / Prophecy of Shadows Site / Forum
--Interesting statements: The statement to the right is false - [color=#00ffff]The statement to the left is true - [color=#00ff00]This statement is false

DreamBreaker
Paladin

just tryed a little things...

Post by DreamBreaker » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:55 am

I tried combinations, and it appears that *Astalion* is right: it's the fact to wear two katana that makes the wanderer to appear. Didn't tryed with katana+claw (I haven't claw nor enough money for the moment!...), but I suppose it also change...
For the invisible katana: Why not making it a 2 handed weapon? off course it would need a boost in damage range, but it could also allows assassins to benefits from the "more than 3 rune" runewords...(as far you boost the number of sockets of course! ;) ). Note that Kendoka(people who practice Kendo), wield their weapon with 2 hands, and true samurai never use a shield...
I'm just a french fan..

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am

I suppose it could be made a two-handed weapon...the very reason I didn't was to allow shield use. But you make an interesting point about whether a martial artist would use one ;)

The other issue is that (I think) I used the scimitar animation to account for the curve of a katana. But all of the two-handed swords are straight as can be.

I suppose if I have time in the midst of all else, I could rename the katana as a wakazashi and make a two-handed assassin weapon to call the katana. Something to muddle over...though perhaps I'll just wait and do all that in the ROTOG mod later on. ;)
-Jeff Bouley

DreamBreaker
Paladin

he he

Post by DreamBreaker » Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:42 pm

This sounds gooodd!
Can't wait to try iaijutsu on Diablo's @#@#@# 'n face!! :twisted:
ZANGANKEN!!!!

:samurai:
I'm just a french fan..

DreamBreaker
Paladin

Unique?

Post by DreamBreaker » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:04 am

I continu to play my assassin, but i'm surprise that i haven't found any unique 'true' claw yet. The only i got was the unique katana, with my sorc.
Have you made new ones, or there's still one unique 'true' claw? Or maybe I'm just unluky...
I'm just a french fan..

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:32 pm

Since I'm so delayed on 2.21 anyway...maybe I'll add some in...I think I only made one unique claw...and it was a katar. I might have made another one for the 2.20 update, but I don't recall.
-Jeff Bouley

Max-Violence
Paladin
Location: ZzzzZZZzzzzzzZ?ZZzzzzZ?Zzzzzzzz?...zzzzzzz?zzzZZZzzz...

Post by Max-Violence » Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:16 pm

I have a unique Greater Talons on my assassin, so that's at least two :D
SiC 2.21 is out finally! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

DreamBreaker
Paladin

Post by DreamBreaker » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:19 am

Max-Violence";p="77855" wrote: I have a unique Greater Talons on my assassin, so that's at least two :D
so lucky! Le latest i found was the unique wrist blade...

quote="Max-Violence";p="74167"]
jbouley";p="74151" wrote:are there any assassin claw-based skills that work with a single claw and don't require you to dual-wield?
Without being able to double-check what I'm about to say (long story, don't ask...), I'd say that the only skills that need 2 claws equipped are Weapon Block and Dragon Claw.
[/quote]

It seems that i can't use the fire claw skill with a single wielded katana+a cloak. I suppose all the left skills needs 2 claws equiped...

And now "bug of the day"(sorry, i know it's becoming boring...):

I tried the recipe for making HUGE charms, and it crash my games...I tried it again a couple of time, and it sometimes work, sometime crash with an "assertion failure" error message.
i really wonder if my version is not crrupted... :(

[
I'm just a french fan..

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:30 am

I think someone else had an issue with the huge charms...I'll try to test it again before releasing 2.21
-Jeff Bouley

DreamBreaker
Paladin

Post by DreamBreaker » Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:51 pm

well, I think i should have tried more before posting my latest message...
After a few test, it seems, that all the left combat skills (fire, thunder, ice claws) requires either two claws or claws+shield to be used. But the combination claw + cloack don't permit to used this skills.
Maybe it's because cloaks are armor.(Am I right?)
I'm just a french fan..

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:38 pm

The fact that cloaks are armor may indeed be the issue here...it seems logical...just never tested that interaction myself.
-Jeff Bouley

IronSigil

Post by IronSigil » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:14 pm

Concerning odd drops: Cohosh the Smith (I think that's his name) on normal dropped a Grand Matron Bow, a sharkskin belt, a pair of battle gaunts, and a kraken shell armor (all magical). I later killed him again for xp... and he dropped the same exact type of items.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:53 pm

He's never been that generous with me...that jerk :x ;)

Count yourself lucky, I guess. I don't know how often Cohosh gets that kind of "giving feeling." Never seen it myself for whatever reason.
-Jeff Bouley

Seether

Post by Seether » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:48 am

hello jeff

i think i found a bug on 2.20, when i was playing with my zon after i got 15 on slip arrow skill sometimes when im playing the game messes up and my zon starts to shoot some kind of HUGE SNOW BALL insted of the splitted arrows, and actually the snow ball dont damage enemies at all, i have to restart the game to that to work like before, but after a while it turns into the snow ball again, check for it please =)

thanks and eager to get my hands on 2.21 :D

greetings
s33th3r...............................................
.............................................The_One

etomlinson

Post by etomlinson » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:23 pm

As to The Smith and his drops, I get the same, 5 Level 60 Magical Items, same as listed, every time I kill him. No matter the character class and/or level. On Normal, this just ain't right! :)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:36 pm

What the hell did I do to Cohosh since the last time I tested him without knowing it? 8-O
-Jeff Bouley

Return to “Arcanum Archives”