Videos?

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

Marty81
Paladin

Videos?

Post by Marty81 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:13 am

I think the Hall of Fame on the wiki is a great idea and I've loved reading about builds and equipment choices there. Why not take it to the next level and start posting videos of your uber characters in action? It'd be really interesting to compare these IMO. Has anyone done this?

devilfunk
Paladin

Re: Videos?

Post by devilfunk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:58 am

Anyone know the name of the program to capture video of games, it slips my mind at the moment. :(
Don't Believe Everything You Think!

myspace - http://www.myspace.com/devilfunk

Marty81
Paladin

Post by Marty81 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:04 am

Fraps.

There are other ways, too. For instance, I have a setup where I can send a clone of my main monitor's signal out over Svideo and into a DVD recorder, and then make videos from that.

Zelios
Paladin

Post by Zelios » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:48 am

I think that would be awesome. I've always enjoyed watching builds/techniques in action. Not only that, but it would be awesome to see videos of someone getting a rare drop or jackpot and such. I've seen it happen, but I just think those videos are cool. ;P
AIM: Teh Zelios

devilfunk
Paladin

Post by devilfunk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:12 am

[quote=Marty81";p="393014"]Fraps.

There are other ways, too. For instance, I have a setup where I can send a clone of my main monitor's signal out over Svideo and into a DVD recorder, and then make videos from that.[/quote]

Thanks! :D

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:23 am

Fraps videos can only be a max of 30 seconds long, unless you buy the full version. I'm sure there's other software out there, so don't give up hope yet!

I'm currently working on putting together a video with CamStudio. I'm having issues not getting any audio though, so that's a little discouraging. I suppose that'll have to do as a last resort, but I'm going to keep looking. Post with some ideas/freeware that will get the job done!

devilfunk
Paladin

Post by devilfunk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:28 am

[quote=AdmiralCrackbar";p="393035"]Fraps videos can only be a max of 30 seconds long, unless you buy the full version. I'm sure there's other software out there, so don't give up hope yet![/quote]

Yea, I just figured that out, and quickly uninstalled Fraps. It will be a cold day in Hell before I pay to record a video game on my PC. :x

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Success! I finally found a solution. Free Screen Recorder by nbxsoft. Very simple to use, and setup is quick and easy. It's not very high-tech, but it gets the job done, and with pretty good quality too. I'm using the MSU Screen Capture Lossless Codec video codec after some extensive research last night. It's freeware and the installer is cake (something like 3-4 clicks :) ). It's lacking in advanced options, but honestly, I'm sick of customizing the crap out of videos and wasting all that time when it's just gunna go on youtube anyway ;)

Steps:
Install the codec first, then install free screen recorder and choose the right codec in dropdown menu in the video options. Please don't use the Microsoft's video codec - a 10 second clip is 95.7 MB! You can set the audio capture to your microphone if you want to just wanna record commentary. Set the region to "full screen" in the general options and make sure your desktop is at 800x600 when you record. Otherwise, the dimensions of your video will be distorted. Make sure you set the hotkeys for recording and check "record audio" in the options menu.

The only downside to the program is that you have to set the options every time you open the program. It's annoying, but there aren't that many and it's well worth the "price" ;)

The video may stutter, but that's only because Diablo 2 has a max framerate of 25 frames per second. The human eye can see 30 fps, which is the optimal framerate for most games.

After the recording, I'm going to convert the video to H.264 and rescale it to a more youtube friendly screen size with ImTOO MPEG Encoder (also free). This is optional, but recommended if you want crystal clear videos. I'll post here after I do all this with my results!

freykin
Champion of the Light

Post by freykin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Sounds like a nice program, but have a question. I use a widescreen monitor, so I tend to play Diablo 2 windowed, because otherwise it stretches like crazy. Any easy way to still record the game at a correct 800x600 with that program, besides recording my desktop along with it?
Check out how I'm doing in tournaments and playing in general at:

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Freykin

freykin
Champion of the Light

Post by freykin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Sounds like a nice program, but have a question. I use a widescreen monitor, so I tend to play Diablo 2 windowed, because otherwise it stretches like crazy. Any easy way to still record the game at a correct 800x600 with that program, besides recording my desktop along with it?
Check out how I'm doing in tournaments and playing in general at:

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Freykin

Metropolis Man
Hosted Forum Moderator
Cherub
United States of America

Post by Metropolis Man » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 pm

There aren't too many areas of the ES mod that I would take the time to bother and watch an actual video of another player's game. But, the Domain would certainly qualify.
That which does not kill us makes us stronger — Friedrich Nietzsche
Eastern Sun DatabaseEastern Sun WikiZy-El Wiki
Carl's Sims 3 Guide

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:10 pm

[quote=freykin";p="393095"]Sounds like a nice program, but have a question. I use a widescreen monitor, so I tend to play Diablo 2 windowed, because otherwise it stretches like crazy. Any easy way to still record the game at a correct 800x600 with that program, besides recording my desktop along with it?[/quote]

There's an option in General Options that will let you select a physical region on the screen. From there just select the border around the windowed D2 and that should be all that's recorded.

...Tested on my laptop and it works. You should be good to go :)

WarWolf
Paladin

Post by WarWolf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Great idea, go post some videos! I just like watching other people play games well, even nicer if it's a game I like. Gogo!

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Still messing with settings - DON'T use the MSU Screen Capture Lossless Codec video codec that I mentioned before. It drops video frames and makes everything look jerky. I'm still looking at the best trade-off for size and quality.

Return to “Eastern Sun”