ES Troubleshooting & Problem Solving FAQ -- 2011-01-10

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: ES Troubleshooting & Problem Solving FAQ -- 2011-01-10

Post by Lucifer666 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:01 pm

you can get it here in the Keep,just go to Download Section and take a look...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:34 am

Lucifer666" wrote:you can get it here in the Keep,just go to Download Section and take a look...
Ok, but is that all we need to have it work? Is the fact that it's 1.12 what is causing the crash?

Edit: Ok...went and got it. Thought I read in the other thread where someone was asking how to go back to a prior patch, that you could just install it and then have that patch....like 1.13 to 1.10.....when we try it says we have a newer version and won't let you do anything further....there is only an OK button.

It's no wonder young people don't want to play PC games and just plug in their console games..

Edit......no answers...boohoo:(

Can someone please answer why we cannot bactrack on patches, like I've read you can so easily.....it won't let us, at all. At this point, may as well take the BattleChest and start a nice fire with it....so hopefully someone can answer, so my son could play ES.
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" ----George Santayana

Kalomina

Post by Kalomina » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:37 am

Billybgame" wrote:
Lucifer666" wrote:you can get it here in the Keep,just go to Download Section and take a look...
Ok, but is that all we need to have it work? Is the fact that it's 1.12 what is causing the crash?

Edit: Ok...went and got it. Thought I read in the other thread where someone was asking how to go back to a prior patch, that you could just install it and then have that patch....like 1.13 to 1.10.....when we try it says we have a newer version and won't let you do anything further....there is only an OK button.

It's no wonder young people don't want to play PC games and just plug in their console games..

Edit......no answers...boohoo:(

Can someone please answer why we cannot bactrack on patches, like I've read you can so easily.....it won't let us, at all. At this point, may as well take the BattleChest and start a nice fire with it....so hopefully someone can answer, so my son could play ES.
1. Uninstall game.
2. Reinstall d2.
3. Install patch and eastern sun.
4. ??????
5. Profit.

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 pm

Why would we need to go through that major hassle? I thought you were able to go back to a prior patch.....is that true, or not?
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" ----George Santayana

Kalomina

Post by Kalomina » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Billybgame" wrote:Why would we need to go through that major hassle? I thought you were able to go back to a prior patch.....is that true, or not?
Hassle? It takes aprox 5-10 min to reinstall the game?

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:56 am

That's not the answer I'm looking for.....want to know why we can't go back to prior patch, when I've read we can....what does a game re-install have to do with that?

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:03 pm

he doen't know you have BC,it auto installs 1.12,and you need 1.11,there is a thread that explains it nicely,i just forgot where...but i think you should remove some files from D2 Install folder before trying to patch it to a older version...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:20 am

Lucifer666" wrote:he doen't know you have BC,it auto installs 1.12,and you need 1.11,there is a thread that explains it nicely,i just forgot where...but i think you should remove some files from D2 Install folder before trying to patch it to a older version...
Was it this one?:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60548&p=471975&hil ... 12#p471975

Though, it does not seem like it addresses my issue. I did search, but went back as far as 2011...so didn't think I needed to go farther. I searched "patch 1.12".

I know of the one Stabby did for 1.12a, but don't think that applies, either.

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:22 pm

did you replace you Diablo Game.exe with the dummy one Volf mentioned before trying to patch it???I think i remember some other thread,not on ES Forums,I think it was somewhere in the Modmaking forums...

I bite down hard

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Lucifer666" wrote:did you replace you Diablo Game.exe with the dummy one Volf mentioned before trying to patch it???I think i remember some other thread,not on ES Forums,I think it was somewhere in the Modmaking forums...
Well, my boys only over so often......ok, so we just tried that.....copied that file to D2 folder. Then, yes, we were able to run 1.11 installer.

All sorts of weird stuff though...tried to get 1.11b, but it wouldn't let us put it in D2 folder, even though he is admin. Then, after installing, which said was successful, neither D2 or ES will start. D2 would at least start before, but now, says to put the disc in. And, if you get the disc to run, it wants to install....no Play. ES does the same it did before....you click on it, and it goes nowhere. But, now, we can't even get D2 to open, to verify watch patch we are using. At least I think we are on 1.11.

My son is getting really turned off on PC gaming here.

Help!

Edit: My thought is that it's surely due to the BChest disk being 1.12 and wanting to update, when you put the disk in. So, I got the bright idea, of giving him my old LoD disk...and voila ES runs....but it's the old colors messed up for Win 7. Sure would be nice to figure out how to get it to work with his disk though. He sure isn't keeping mine!

Edit again.....I thought off the top of my head, "disable desktop composition" fixed color issues?.....I have that done already...is there something else? I've done all I know....desktop composition off, disable visual themes, 256 colors. No dice.

Tried to run video test, as I read that can fix, but that won't run as it says storm.dll is missing.....sigh.....seems I've seen that one before.

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Did you try to run in compatibility mode with XP??? don't really know exept that on 7 and Vista there are always problems running ES...maybe you could try the D2SE ES,it gives vanilla Skill Quest Rewards,apart from that there are no other differences,maybe that would work out better as D2SE can be installen on whatever version of D2LoD...

I bite down hard

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:57 am

Lucifer666" wrote:Did you try to run in compatibility mode with XP??? don't really know exept that on 7 and Vista there are always problems running ES...maybe you could try the D2SE ES,it gives vanilla Skill Quest Rewards,apart from that there are no other differences,maybe that would work out better as D2SE can be installen on whatever version of D2LoD...
I've had no issues running ES, since I figured things out way back when I got my Win 7 laptop. Yeah, compatibility Serv pack 3. My settings are Serv pack 3, desktop composition off and run as admin...works like champ. I recall I did have color problems at first....can't recall if just those settings resolved it. Seems there's a litany of different ideas to get rid of it out there.

Edit: As I mentioned before, we finally got ES working on my son's laptop, ONLY if he uses my older disk to start. If we put his BChest disk in, ES won't start. Naturally, this is not good, and a major P in the A. He's only here, for a short time, every few weeks, so this is not a workable method, obviously.

Also, his default preferences where to reset maps and without the demon life balls.....changed to the opposite, and restarted....no dice. Checked....preferences saved, but game not starting with them.

Help, please.

No replies in at least a week?.....sigh.....the game not working without my disk sucks, but so does his preferences not working, and the maps resetting.

If, like with Diablo 1, I burn a copy of my LoD disk, will that work for him, to start his game? He's had problems with his laptop needing constant reboot, so getting hard to get him off the ground with the mod.

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:02 am

Just a wee suggestion...and this will be largely hardware dependent and whether you want to spend the time doing this.

If you have enough free hard disc space and enough RAM (4 Gig minimum and I would recommend 6 - 8 Gig), as well as a legitimate copy (or can get one) of XP patched to at least Service Pack 2, install it in a Virtual Machine Environment (VME). Once you have done this, run XP in the VME and install Diablo II LOD followed by Eastern Sun, copy your characters across from where you previously saved them and you should be good to go. The fact that XP is no longer supported shouldn't be a problem as you will be running it in a protected VME.

A good freeware VME is Oracle VirtualBox....Here is a link to the hompeage. If you are going to try this, make sure you also get the latest extension pack for it or you will have problems if you use something like DaemonTools.
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Veteran? More like "Ancient Relic!"..been playing the mod for 12 years!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
I get knocked down but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down...!
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:48 pm

Al....I assume you were answering me? We both are using Win 7......

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi Billy. Nice to see you are still around these parts :)

It was a generic answer really but it was because you were posting having problems that I decided to give this suggestion. It shouldn't matter if you are running Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1. What I am suggesting is installling XP in the Virtual Machine Environment (VME) which is contained in and protected by whatever your main Operating System is, whether that be Vista, any of the flavours of 7 or 8 or 8.1.

In your case you would install the VME in Windows 7, then install XP in the VME followed by running XP in the VME (you allocate disc space and a portion of RAM from Windows 7 to allow this) and then install Diablo II LOD and finally Eastern Sun while running XP in the virtual machine. It takes a bit of time and a wee bit of configuration to do but it is a possible solution which I know works having tried it myself last year when I was running Windows 8 for the first time.

If you want to give it a try, make sure you read the installation and configuration documentation first and by all means, if after having done so, you still need some help please don't hesitate to ask me. Of course, like I said above, the minimum RAM you would want for this would be 4Gig (allocate half this for XP) and about 40Gig (all allocated to the VME) free Hard Disc space on your Win 7 machine. It also depends if you want to spend the time doing this for what is after all, just a game. It also means you have to have an XP installation disc as well, prefereably at least with Service Pack 2.

You also have to be very careful you install XP in the Virtual Machine Environment and don't overwrite Windows 7 or whatever operating system you have

Cheers :),

Al.
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:12 am

Ok...yeah, doubtful I'd be doing that on my son's laptop. Any thoughts on why a weird thing like the change of map preferences won't keep? My other question was, being that his purchased BChest disk won't run the game, and only mine does.....will a burnt copy of the D2 disk work? I had bunches of copies of D1, but never have tried it with D2 or LoD.

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:01 am

As far as the game not running is concerned, if you installed D2 initially using your older discs there is an entry put into the Windows registry (I forget whch one for now) which identifies and is unique to that specific "Game Disc" so when you run the game and/or any Mod, it needs to be the exact disc (or an exact copy in DaemonTools as a virtual CD). That would explain why the Battle Chest edition does not work as it does not have a registry entry for it's specific "Game Disc".

You have three options here (if my assumption above is correct). Do as advised above and uninstall and reinstall D2 using the Battle Chest CDs followed by reinstalling ES or D2SE with ES. You should then be able to play with the Battle Chest CDs but won't be able to play using your old D2 CD. The second option is to install the Battle Chest edition in a completely new folder of it's own so you have two different copies of the game which are independent of one another. That way you will be able to play the game with either CD but it's a bit messy and your character save files would be different so if you wanted to play with the same characters in both, you would have to regularly copy them from one save folder to the other. It's a really ugly solution. The third is to leave it as it is and just play with the old CD but then, that doesn't solve the other problems you are having.

If my assumptions are incorrect, then I am at a loss.

As far as the maps are concerned, I am again assuming you are making the changes using the Eastern Sun "Preference Tool" to switch between regenerating maps and never regenerating maps? If the tool is modifying one of the PlugY.ini files then something must be going wrong at the point it tries to do so. If it does not modify the PlugY.ini files, then you will need the modmakers help. If you are trying to modify the settings in PlugY manually yourself, that would probably explain why it doesn't work.

This is not the answer you want to hear Billy and I am sorry but with all the problems you are having I think it would be best to uninstall and reinstall D2 and ES using either your old CDs or the Battle Chest CDs and always remember to use the right "Game CD" when playing.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Billybgame" wrote:Edit: As I mentioned before, we finally got ES working on my son's laptop, ONLY if he uses my older disk to start. If we put his BChest disk in, ES won't start. Naturally, this is not good, and a major P in the A. He's only here, for a short time, every few weeks, so this is not a workable method, obviously.

Also, his default preferences where to reset maps and without the demon life balls.....changed to the opposite, and restarted....no dice. Checked....preferences saved, but game not starting with them.
[...]
If, like with Diablo 1, I burn a copy of my LoD disk, will that work for him, to start his game? He's had problems with his laptop needing constant reboot, so getting hard to get him off the ground with the mod.
Hey billy, sorry this took so long to respond. Haven't been around here lately.
BattleChest CDs don't have the CD check info, so they won't work,and burning a copy won't work either.
You could try my MiniCD if you use 1.12+ for ES, or send me a PM if you use regular ES (1.10).

As for the not saving preferences, the only Hong I can think of is to make sure you're not installed to "Program Files" folder.

Maka

Post by Maka » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:39 am

Well, it's that time of the year: I re-picked up ES....for the 3729487293th time. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to recover my old PK account, so I just created a new one. Also unfortunate: my old HDD crashed, so I'm starting from scratch. All those stockers......gone.

So, quick question: I'm playing Stabby's 1.12 version of ES (I can't seem to find that elusive mini-image, and my old LoD CD's went the way of the dodo; if anyone has the mini-image, it'd be appreciated), and the character screen has this annoying bug where I can only press the arrows to change page once. After that, when I click on them the page doesn't change and my character starts moving, as if the character screen wasn't there when I clicked on the arrow to change page. If I click on the arrows repeatedly, they sometimes work, but it's a pain. Is this a known bug?

Related to this: my character screen only has three pages. The 'classic' D2 page (with basic stats, skill damage, defense, AR, resists, etc); a page related to ele resists, max res, ele absorb, etc; and a page with other stats like DS, CB, mana and life steal/on kill/replenish/etc. Now, it's been at least a year and a half since I last played ES, but I distinctly remember it having more than 3 pages on the character screen. Is this a problem on my end? Is it a problem with the 1.12 version of ES? Or did ES never have more than 3 character screen pages?

Thanks a lot!

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 am

Got a huge problem suddenly. MY HC Challenge Necro was in town, off a portal, about to enter Nowhere, and fear for his life. Anyhow, I right clicked on my Cube, and the game starting freezing up....never opened Cube.....then froze. I was able to get the Save and Exit page to open easy enough, even though the screen was frozen. By the way, Task Manager only said Diablo 2 was "Running". Anyhow, it shut down fine.

Now, I rebooted my laptop....after other stuff, figure I might as well get started again, after that horrible place to crash, having to go back through all the Narakus and the Dead End. Only one huge problem!!!!!!!!!!! I no longer have a Horadric Cube! In all my years playing ES, I have never encountered this, and don't recall hearing anyone else reporting it either. Sure hope there's any easy fix, and don't even want to hear I have to restart my character or some such nonsense!

Help!

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Create a new Char any mule the Cube? I´m not sure where´s the problem here.

Cheers
AlphA

Valar

Post by Valar » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi guys. I recently installed version 1.12 of eastern sun.
Everything works fine, some unhandle exceptiond once in a while but nothing much.
The only problem is with D2Multires. When i open video options in game, i just get the two regular resolution options (max 800x600).
I used to play Median and there we had to edit plugy to load the D2Multires.dll, but i checked and it seams that in ES the loader.dll already does it.

Anyone already had this problem and can help me fix Multires?

Thx

pekoe

Post by pekoe » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:44 pm

EXTRAS HELP
[4.1] Q: Can I use different resolutions / larger Windowed Mode size?
[4.2] Q: Does MultiRes work with Eastern Sun?
this is back start of thread. I havnt tried 4.2 but currently use glide
I wonder what people use most

Dirty Mac
Paladin

Post by Dirty Mac » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:13 am

Hi, I am getting back in to ES, and have used D2SE to get ES running. But it doesn't have a gamble filter, I have tried using the one from an older version
But i have to move the whole data file over, just to get the filter to run, but it doesnt affect the game, I added -Direct and -txt parameters to the ES launch through D2SE
But it says Bad Inventory Data, and the game, wont load. Has anyone gotten it working? Thanks

Edit.
It's ok, I got it working guys, you Can't do it with an existing Character, have to set it all up before starting a new Character.

niklaas

Post by niklaas » Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 am

help, i have access error c0005 while crafting class rings. sometimes i get to craft 5 - 7 rings before the error shows up and i can't use ancient scroll #6. i'm lvl 82 just finished NM. i'm playing ES R6D thru my D2SE. LoD ver is 1.13.

thanks

Return to “Eastern Sun”