Why is this happening

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

wesker12

Why is this happening

Post by wesker12 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:15 pm

The newest version of Eastern sun doesnt work on my comp. I have played it all the way through act 1 until the catacombs. As soon as i saw certain monsters (ex: black knight, winged demons, sand golems) the game started getting asseertion failure errors. Eventually i got so fed up i downloaded eastern sun version R1A_Full. It was strange, this old version worked perfectly(except for some items being invisible but still usable, like identified ancient scrolls and ore) but if i patched it with patch_R1D it would not read my characters from version R6D_full.

I am fine with playing this old mod but if their is an easy solution then i would like to stick with the newest version. In the old version, the enemies that would cause errors on the newer version are invisible to me and do no damage to me but can die and drop items.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: Why is this happening

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Better question..... Why'd you need to make a second topic for the same problem?

Anyway... sounds like you've got an issue with your install. It kind of sounds like you installed Eastern Sun directly into the Diablo II folder or you aren't using the Eastern Sun launcher to load the game.

I would completely uninstall/delete Eastern Sun and Diablo II, then do a clean install.
I wouldn't even bother backing up your saves (but feel free to do so if you wish) since you've used them in an older version and possibly altered the saves in a way that will only cause more problems for you in the long run.

Please read these instructions completely once before you start, then follow them exactly.
If you run into a problem, I would suggest stopping and posting in this topic for assistance before continuing.
  1. UNINSTALL:
    1. Start -> Control Panel -> Uninstall Programs (or Add/Remove Programs)
    2. Find Easter Sun and uninstall it.
    3. Find Diablo II and uninstall it.
    4. Browse to your install location (C:\Program Files\Diablo II for 32bit Windows, C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II for 64bit Windows) and make sure the folder is deleted. If not, delete it yourself.
  2. INSTALL DIABLO II:
    1. Install Diablo II, choosing a folder like "C:\Games\Diablo II".
    2. After Diablo II installs, do the Upgrade Installation (may be called something else) if available.
    3. Install Diablo II: Lord of Destruction Expansion.
    4. After Diablo II: LoD installs, do the Upgrade Installation (may be called something else) if available.
    5. Download and install ONE of the following updates: 1.10 OR 1.11 OR 1.11b OR 1.12a* OR 1.13c*
      • 1.12a and 1.13c do not have CD checks which Easter Sun -DOES- have. See below for more information.
    6. Run Diablo II to ensure the game launches properly.
  3. INSTALL EASTERN SUN:
    1. Download the latest version (R6D as of 2010-08-02) from The Easter Sun Database.
    2. Install Eastern Sun to "..\Diablo II\es300r" folder.
      Stabby_McTwist" wrote:NOTE: If you install Diablo II to an alternate directory, ensure that you also install Eastern Sun to that directory.
      The easiest way to do that is when running the installer, press the "Browse" button and point it to the folder that contains the Diablo II install folder (e.g. C:\Games and -not- C:\Games\Diablo II) then click the "Add default folder" button right below. This will automatically add the "\Diablo II\es300r\" to the path you've chosen.
    3. Run Eastern Sun to ensure the game launches properly.
    4. IF you backed up any saves, copy them to the "..\Diablo II\es300r\saves" folder now.

* If you install Diablo II/LoD that has v1.12a or higher ((usually from a Bundle Pack or DVD Version like the Battlechest, or even the Battle.net Digital Download version)), Diablo II/LoD will always run since it doesn't have the security checks.
Older versions of Diablo II, like 1.10 which Eastern Sun runs on, HAS that security check and you will need a physical CD to pass that check. If you use the Digital Download or Battlechest versions, you can use the MiniCD to pass the security check.
Information on how to use it can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=54529

wesker12

Re: Why is this happening

Post by wesker12 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 am

Thank you for help.
I reinstalled everything 2 days ago, so i skipped that, but i did upgrade the installation, got v. 1.13, and reinstalled newest version of ES in the folders suggested.

It looked promising i was able to get down to level 4 catacombs, before i got the error :( . I don't see why the graphics are messing up, i have a new computer.

I'll just keep playing R1A_full until new patch comes out because it is pretty much the same, except some items invisible but still usuable items.

Sorry about the double post i misunderstood what to do.

Return to “Eastern Sun”