Untwinked amazon and the curse of Achilles

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

Flashburn

Untwinked amazon and the curse of Achilles

Post by Flashburn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:20 am

Hi All, can't believe I have never registered to this board!

Been playing ES for many years on and off, haven't played much of the new stuff (since the mod went installer).

So after the dissapointment that was D3 I'm back into ES and loving it - I can kill mobs and they drop interesting stuff not oh another rare wand, hope it doesn't suck too bad :cry:

Started an untwinked amazon and breezed through normal, found Firebrander at lv 5 which made my day, walked through act 1 and 2. Fire resistance started annoying me near the end of act 2 so I gambled Quiveraiden which is a great bow and I'm still using it, that's the first problem.

Had a blast in the lost farm and then the Marsh of Pain which way overleveled me :D but with the cash from exceptionals in my pocket I went gambling for Achilles, socketed everything and rolled through the rest of normal, okay again I was lucky in the Marsh of Pain and The Black Armour dropped, total defense 950 nothing touched me.

So now I find myself near the end of act 1 nightmare and my glass cannon build is catching up with me, mobs are slowing gaining ar and normal trash has about 50% chance to hit me, archers are becoming irksome. Then I was ambushed, almost died (I know, the Trouble and Strife was offloading and I was appearing to be interested at the same time I opened a door into a room, became instantly cursed, slowed and poisoned and my Valks were no where to be found!)

So we come to the second part of my title, I know I need to upgrade my eq but I locked into a set and worse a set delivering a fair portion of my damage! So if somebody could give me some advice, I will lay out my character.

So to round off my eq,

Tarryn, Level 50 Amazon

Head Hijikata's Heart-blood (socketed with a Yo for res)
Body The Black Armour - not sockted coz I'm lazy ;)
Amulet - Rare with some resist all (it's old about level 25)
Ring 1 - Rare with some resist and dex
Ring 2 - Dragon's eye
Glove - Achilles socketed with an A (min damage rune)
Belt - Achilles socketed with a flawless topaz
Boot - Achilles socketed with obsidian
Weapon - Quiveraiden socketed with flawless Ruby

Yes I found my hachigane at level nine and never took it off, the damage reduction and 20% FHR were too good. That Black Armour may be for assassins but the hit blinds target has been a godsend for a strafer.

As for skills, kept it minimalist, have I think it's +3 skills, nothing amazing, went for the two valks and decoy just to try it out and they're really effective. Trying to keep my strafe low to prevent animation lock and pumping points into legendary arrow for the synergy and Valk to keep them alive.

Since bow is the most important thing to a strafer I'm going to discuss that here,

I don't really like rare weapons, just me so I would want to use a unique or set if I can. Lixo's flight looks good and I have already found the ring (two actually) but I have run into another problem with gambling exceptionals, I can see this taking a long time!

The only other normal bow that looks good would be Kashya's Issue but the difference wouldn't be great.

So I see two options,

Option 1 base item upgrade to Long Siege Bow/Tuigan bow (9-26/7-33) base difference, cost three blemished gems and a couple of runes, not that expensive but also not a huge difference.

I was going to say Lixo's Harp was a Cedar bow but I checked it's a gothic bow, I can gamble that! But that only leaves me with two of the four set items...so

Option 2 is the more expensive route, I would still need Lixo's flight and coat, so grab a magic demonhide armour, craft it with the p gem from anya then use Secret Recipe 5 and another two p gems and make a set item, then do the same for a faceguard. Six p gems later and one full set!

Just noticed that Lixo's set would not interfere with Achilles so I could run both :D Is that wise? The -40% ld is killing my resistance in nightmare but I need that damage.

I am much higher level than Lixo's requirements but this is my first char so I expect that.

Should I consider the next set up Aanna's ? I would have to craft/SR all four set items so that's like 12 p gems but that set does some serious damage (even if Ballista lack style)

Any other suggestions?

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: Untwinked amazon and the curse of Achilles

Post by Lucifer666 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:25 am

You can forge Achilles boots with those Runes that give 40% Lightning resist...Achilles is better for a melle build or melle Merc...Uniques and Set weapons you will find lacking,the best Bowazon weapon is DualMax Rare Bow(Amazon specific for the +3 Bow and Crossbow automod)...if you can get to BRW in Nightmare that would allow you to farm some really good stuff,even full Noirs can drop there...
Whatever floats your boat man can work here...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

Flashburn

Post by Flashburn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks for the reply, yeah I was using Achilles for the bonus to damage, all that strength is kind of wasted on a Bowazon ;)

Think I will go with Lixo for now.

I passed BRW, at Inner Cloisters so I can wrap by and check it out, a little daunting taking on lv68 mobs at lv50 but I have my trusty freezing arrow - hopefully nothing is immune to cold!

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Freezing Arrow is very good for clearing many areas,Cold immunes will appear in Act3 NM I think,but until then yea you will be shatering many a monster... :cool:

Edit: I forgot to ask which merc are u using???
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

Flashburn

Post by Flashburn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:01 am

Well now level 59 :) Thank you for the advice about BRW, at first it was really slow going, everything down there was about 80% to hit me and my strafe only at 70%, I cleared two rooms before I realised I wasn't getting anywhere with those Raven Imps , surprisingly tough little sherbets compounded with their shaman's constantly rezzing and I was at a stalemate.

So thought no problem I would just roll up my Lixo's set, heh slight problem there, didn't read the recipes carefully, scroll 5 (craft to set) will only do normals not exceptionals :cry: But by then I had gambled a gothic bow (I had gained four levels by then but it still took a while) and crafted it, so there was no turning back. As luck would have it I had scoll 24 (exep craft to unique) so dove right in and cubed Heartseeker :D Damage doesn't increase per level but it has a great minimum so damage went up 300 and it's plus three to guided arrow so that's my unique killer - taking they're not PI. I realised I need one thing to breeze through that workshop so I gambled the ring fallen star with RIP, much better!

Those Raven imps must have really high resistances because after equipping myself out I ran into my first PI, CI unique, he took awhile to kill! How do you handle PIs? I suppose it's the million dollar question for a strafer. I have a low level magic arrow but it did the job (eventually). Was looking at the unique Rune Bow, Zerae's Gift fires level 13 magic arrows (and ITD among other things), worth spending the five perfect gems?

So I cleared BRW a couple of times, wow we jumped execptionals and into elites, I'm seeing stuff I've never seen before! (I've played D2 for many years but I have never finished Hell once, my highest was a sorc in act 3 Hell)

To answer your edit, that's an interesting question, I don't use one. Never have, I always found the mercs way too squishy and suicidal to keep alive for long. Case and point, I took one this time around for normal Duriel (who is just annoying with that freezing aura and I couldn't find any easy CBF) so I hired a act two merc to take a couple hits while I guided arrow Duriel. He worked out okay, after I improved his eq a little (used my spare charms and runes lying around) he could tank without a potion. Took him into Act3 , wandered into the Marsh of Pain by accident, first Death Spinner poisons him, he dies almost instantly! Sigh, didn't res him, my valk had started working by then and I never looked back.

I was thinking of making it to Act 2 nightmare and trying again, maybe with a full set of nightmare merc armour, I think I have a piece or two lying around so I just need to finish it off, those Auras do look appealing ;)

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:39 am

The Might Merc is the best for a Strafezon,he is Nightmare Offense I think...He can synergyze Annihilation and Concentration on Equip and thus give you the most dmg...as for PI,you need either Amp on striking or Decrepify,you can get it from many sources but my favorite source of curses for a Bowazon is the ES Runeword Sorrow for a Torso...it's great and for Endgame but easy acquired since most of those runes you will have by now...or the full Waves Set....you will have abnormal crowd control and will be virtually untouchable with Waves and Sorrow...
With a Bowazon it should be a breeze thru most of the game...and get some Knockback,preferably on a Jewel to avoid wasting Forgings on other Equip slots...it will help you out a lot,especially in Hell where mobs rush you all the time...

I bite down hard

Flashburn

Post by Flashburn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:34 am

The might merc sounds good, currently I'm level 65, running BRW. Maxed my valks and they appear immortal, short of running into a conviction/multi shot haven't had to rez them yet, they also occasionally kill things and my trusty doppleganger is drawing fire nicely :)

Will look into this rune forging busines, maybe some gem melding, perfect gems are still taking a while to make.

Lucifer, sent you a pm about Nez, not much help but I did play some years ago.

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:09 am

Valkyries are good in Normal and NM...in Hell they wont be killing much...Got it and sent a reply...

I bite down hard

Return to “Eastern Sun”