Could use some help installing this mod please

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

sutasafaia

Could use some help installing this mod please

Post by sutasafaia » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Wow, I think it's been about 8 months since I've been here...anyway, hi! Again. :oops:

My computer got hit with a virus a couple months back (never letting my brother use my PC unsupervised again...) and I had to format the machine. I'm actually in the process of finally re-downloading D2 and D2X from the blizzard site and came here to get Eastern Sun when I realized that the game is, at least last time I checked, not compatible with 1.13 D2X. However, since I'm downloading from the blizzard site, it's automatically going to be set to the latest patch.

I looked through the stickies and the latest thing I can find is about 1.12, so I figured before I start screwing around and trying to do this on my own (and inevitable breaking something), what exactly do I have to do to get Eastern Sun to run from a fresh install from the Blizzard site?

I know I need to get an image mounter since the mod won't work without a CD (and obviously I have no CD if I'm getting the game from the blizzard store) but that's all I know right now. I saw a special installer for 1.12 in the sticky, and it even says that it works with the blizzard store D2, but I'm not sure if it STILL works since it's 1.13 now and not 1.12.

So basically, is there an idiot proof guide to installing this with the current version of D2X? Thank you in advance, I missed this mod a lot, can't wait to get back into it, but I would love for the first few hours not to be spent in frustration because of my being bad at figuring out how to properly mod things, especially with out of date information.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Re: Could use some help installing this mod please

Post by Volf » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:22 pm

To downgrade simply replace the game.exe with the dummy file from blizzards ftp site then run the patch installer for the version you wish to downgrade to

sutasafaia

Post by sutasafaia » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Thank you for the quick reply, although I was apparently mistaken. I just finished downloading/installing and it's only V1.12! So happy right now, hopefully I can just use the instructions from the sticky and go from there.

Thank you again though, wasn't expecting any responses for at least 24 hours :P I'll pop back if the installation instructions fail.

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:53 pm

ES should automaticaly downgrade your Game no matter what version you run to 1.10 since it comes with it's own files...I installed ES on 1.13 LOD and it shoved me it was 1.10 when I launched ES...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

Valherran
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Valherran » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:43 am

Speaking of getting this mod to work, anyone here figure out how to get it to work on Windows 7? I been fighting with this laptop at work, and just could not get it to run. It runs the standard game just fine, but it won't run the MOD.
Promoting my friend's Dungeon Keeper 1 MOD for him:
http://keeperklan.com/threads/1790-Dung ... e2?p=35496

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 am

Valherran" wrote:Speaking of getting this mod to work, anyone here figure out how to get it to work on Windows 7? I been fighting with this laptop at work, and just could not get it to run. It runs the standard game just fine, but it won't run the MOD.
try disabling desktop composition, run as administrator and use windows XP compatibility mode (TBH I think the core issue is the admin part, as I'm running ES fine under Win7 x64, I just have UAC turned off globally).
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 pm

The only issue with Diablo II/ES on Windows 7 (or Vista) is the UAC protected "Program Files" folder. The recommended way to avoid this issue is to install the game to a different folder, like C:\Games, alternatively you could force Game.exe to run as admin but will get a prompt each time you run the game.
The third and not recommended option is to disable UAC. I would strongly recommend NOT doing this as it protects your system folders, registry and other system-critical settings from being written to or changed without your permission.

I have a more in-depth write up in the Troubleshooting and Problem Solving FAQ here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=54529

undead_shadow
Paladin

Post by undead_shadow » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 am

Stabby_McTwist" wrote:alternatively you could force Game.exe to run as admin but will get a prompt each time you run the game.
This is what I have it set to, but im also running it with a mounted image too (I think I have the community patch with it as its the one from stabbys sticky thread).
Open up the sweetness

Return to “Eastern Sun”