MetalStorm Progress Report (28 June 2016)

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

Eisenfaust86

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (17th June, 2008)

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:56 pm

[quote=Nefarius";p="391673"]Ofc not, and I have no intention to port >100K lines of code to a new patch (or do any work on that patch for the matter).

You don't need a CD to play MetalStorm anyway, just to load the game (nothing is being read from the CDs --- see the Config file topic).[/quote]

Well, thats definitely good news. I probably won't be switching to that version anyway, since the released documentation for it makes no mention of fixing the many HORRIBLE bugs that Blizzard put in there when they did the other 1.1x versions (FE bug, Boss Event Bug, treasureclass upgrade bug, gloam bug, mana burn bug, etc) :twisted: .

EDIT: ofc, I meant I won't switch to "Patch 1.12" that's being done for D2. Metalstorm will probably out-do it in virtually every aspect, anyway.
Last edited by Eisenfaust86 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newman Iron

Post by Newman Iron » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:47 pm

[quote=Nefarius";p="391673"]Ofc not, and I have no intention to port >100K lines of code to a new patch.

You don't need a CD to play MetalStorm anyway, just to load the game initially (nothing is being read from the CDs --- see the Config file topic).

It's probably possible to use the v1.12 exe to launch to v1.11x dlls, at least we will experiment with this. Especially now with the SecuRom garbage gone.[/quote]

Ok, I didn't think there was that much to change :oops:
I did a fast test if the v1.11x dlls worked for 1.12 but they didn't, but there might be other ways to make it work correctly.

Eisenfaust86

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (17th June, 2008, #2)

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:08 pm

I just looked at the documentation for Patch 1.12 (AFTER I installed the patch :x ) and it just shows exactly how clueless Blizzard is about the bugs in the game (they didn't fix any of the major problems that Nefarius spotted, not even the one involving the "random crashes when drawing objects" whose fix only involved the insertion of one lousy column at the ends of the text files). Like I said, Metalstorm is likely to become the "D2 for the New Era" compared to what Blizzard did...
Last edited by Eisenfaust86 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:13 pm

[quote=Nefarius";p="391673"]Ofc not, and I have no intention to port >100K lines of code to a new patch.

You don't need a CD to play MetalStorm anyway, just to load the game initially (nothing is being read from the CDs --- see the Config file topic).

It's probably possible to use the v1.12 exe to launch to v1.11x dlls, at least we will experiment with this. Especially now with the SecuRom garbage gone.[/quote]

That's understandable. That's the same reason as many stayed in 1.10 (this included me).

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:38 am

[quote=kingpin";p="391689"]
That's understandable. That's the same reason as many stayed in 1.10 (this included me).[/quote]

...and the same reason I'll be staying with 1.10 for now (until Metalstorm comes out, that is. ;) )

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (17th June, 2008, #2)

Post by kingpin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:11 pm

Eisenfaust86";p="391686" wrote:I just looked at the documentation for Patch 1.12 (AFTER I installed the patch :x ) and it just shows exactly how clueless Blizzard is about the bugs in the game (they didn't fix any of the major problems that Nefarius spotted, not even the one involving the "random crashes when drawing objects" whose fix only involved the insertion of one lousy column at the ends of the text files). Like I said, Metalstorm is likely to become the "D2 for the New Era" compared to what Blizzard did...
Blizzard doesn't put the needed resources for this. Nefarius and other modders have put in insane amount of time into modding and ofcourse easier for us to discover bugs. Also, thing's we see as a bug. Is maybe not a bug for them. Sometimes it's coded with intention to work in the way it do.

- Had some issues with borked up installs for VC6 that needes system restore to fix (reinstalls didn't help), thankfully nothing was lost (we keep incremental backups of stuff + emergency backup icon_smile.gif)
I had a harddisk (around christmas) that started with give vc6 strange compile errors. Luckely enough I realise what was happening so did a last minute backup and saved everything important. Day after harddisk was broken.

Good nothing lost for you.
Last edited by kingpin on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (24th June, 2008)

Post by Nefarius » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:10 am

Good nothing lost for you.
Thnx.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Glad to see updates are going steady! :D I'll have to admit I don't know anything about some of the updates, but i'm glad it's progressing. :D Quick question. Are you going to use new music for the towns / acts, and what not? Also what do you think you'll be 'rating' the game? Mature? As in, will there be more Mature content in dialouge and what not?
You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward, art thou also dead - - dead to the World, to Heaven, and to Hope! In me didst thou exist - - and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself. - Edger Allan Poe

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (28th June, 2008)

Post by Nefarius » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Quick question. Are you going to use new music for the towns / acts, and what not?
Yes, we will probably have new music composed for some of the areas :), though this will be available in a optional extra mpq that isn't needed for playing.

Also what do you think you'll be 'rating' the game? Mature? As in, will there be more Mature content in dialouge and what not?
Yes, [spoiler](hint: it contains among others also sprites from Duke3D :P)[/spoiler]
Last edited by Nefarius on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:03 pm

Will those work in Diablo 2? I mean, will they look good? Lol
You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward, art thou also dead - - dead to the World, to Heaven, and to Hope! In me didst thou exist - - and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself. - Edger Allan Poe

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (28th June, 2008, #3)

Post by Nefarius » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:29 am

They look fine, just depends on which sprite is used and how they are retouched later. ( im not taking about the enemy sprites, those can't be used ).

Destrictor

Post by Destrictor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:04 pm

Nefarius can you give us an idea of what code you still have to replace? I can't wait to get my hands on this and it might give me an idea of when i can finally play it :D

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (26th July, 2008)

Post by Nefarius » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:44 am

There probably isn't that horrible much code left to do, the key thing now is to finish the source revision and after that me and the team can see what is really left to be done. Ofc, after that the actual development, as in addition of content and design starts, code is only one step.

EmaStergam

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (31st July, 2008)

Post by EmaStergam » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi
Need some explanation about MetalStorm:
1) It will be free opensource for all moders?
a) if not, will it be expandable by plugins?
2) Engine use some new TXT (and old) and some INI files. Did you make some crypting protection for that?
3) Can you tell us when Engine can be expected for use (im stop moding couse that engine :D )?
4)If im corect it is for 1.11b?

thx

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:27 pm

[quote=EmaStergam";p="398169"]Hi
Need some explanation about MetalStorm:
1) It will be free opensource for all moders?
a) if not, will it be expandable by plugins?
2) Engine use some new TXT (and old) and some INI files. Did you make some crypting protection for that?
3) Can you tell us when Engine can be expected for use (im stop moding couse that engine :D )?
4)If im corect it is for 1.11b?

thx[/quote]

"MetalStorm" is a standalone mod, as is detailed in posts made in some of the threads on this board. Many parts of it may in the future be released as plugins for NefEx, but only once it is done and I can devote time to doing so.

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:33 pm

- Some npcs now offer to remove unequippable cursed items for a fee, the npc menu will show a list of unremoveable items you have equipped, and you can pick the one you want to remove. (doesn't work on quest based items). The item is destroyed in the process (ie it is dispelled, so you will be left with a normal item of the same base type).
Will there be a Remove All option, which will remove all cursed items for a total fee of each individual fee added together? Like there are Repair/Repair All options in some vendor NPCs?

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:17 am

While I doubt someone may end up with more then 1 of those items at a time, it's easy to implement (in fact about 10 times easier then it was adding the individual selections :))

Archer81

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (20th August, 2008)

Post by Archer81 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:32 am

Well, here's a mod with developers who are true to the "Blizzard way of development" method. The game will be released when it is ready. That's the best possible prospect for us. Very nice log. You made sure to keep up the attention. :)

Eisenfaust86

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (4th September, 2008)

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:50 am

Well, here's a mod with developers who are true to the "Blizzard way of development" method. The game will be released when it is ready. That's the best possible prospect for us. Very nice log. You made sure to keep up the attention.
You got that right, pal! "When it's ready" is always the best way to do things. Setting deadlines is a risky business on hefty projects like this, especially when there's just so much involved in getting it done just right. ;)

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:49 am

Nice. Looks like you got a lot done in the past week. :cool:

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (17th September, 2008)

Post by Nefarius » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:26 am

Yeah, whole lot of things got done in the last update, yet theres a load of muchness remaining, but the code revision should be complete soon (most files are done with)
Last edited by Nefarius on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radamer

Post by Radamer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:57 am

The latest changes look nice. They remind me of Freedom Force, where the game mechanics were hardcoded, but everything about the level design, players, etc. was all softcoded. Irrational Games even allowed their game design tools available to the general public.

Making as much of the game softcoded as you can would probably be the best route as more designers could get involved and get things done faster (assuming that everyone agrees on the design).

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:26 am

Nicely put, Radamer! This is exactly what put franchises like "The Elder Scrolls" on the map (via the Construction Set, the tool used for making modifications to various aspects of gameplay and the player itself).

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:55 pm

hey nefarius i'v been following this progress report for quite a while now and it really is very interesting, but what I am wondering is the current size of the file and the filesize that you are aiming for?
I mean can it be that all the codes that you are adding don't influence the size of the DL?

cheers

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:27 am

Code doesn't really make for lottsa filesize (the dll is only 900 KB, and it's compiled with a lot of debug extras --- without these it would easily be 200 KB smaller), I've pulled a lot of optimization tricks (some of which are undocumented) to make it as small as possible without effecting performance.

Though that says nada about the final filesize, the project is encompasing so many things that the complete size pretty much sums up to damn huge.

With one key advantage though, the things come in seperate MPQs (for graphics, sounds etc) and subsequent updates are released in a standalone patch, so there is no reason to download anything more then once (other then the patch). The new SFX and a few other things will be optional and do not have to be installed.

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”