Question re-damage display in Metalstorm

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

No votes

Total votes: 0

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Question re-damage display in Metalstorm

Post by Al-T » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:00 am

I have a question regarding the display of different damage types in Metalstorm:
Project changes" wrote:.....Unified all damage related data into tables, nothing remains lingering inside the actual code anymore.
With this and all the other code changes you have made, will this mean you have implemented some system where we can see how much of each individual damage type our characters are dealing :?:

It seems to be something that is missing from vanilla and most, if not all other mods, the ability to see the individual base damage for each damage type. I know Metalstorm won't suffer from caps and overflows but it would still be nice to see how much damage for each type you are dealing to give you an idea which ones need worked on. e.g. Fire, Cold, Poison and Lightning damage are fine but Magic and Physical need a boost.

Whatever the answer may be, keep up the great 80/20 development process and I'll be one of the first to give it a try when it comes out.

Respect :)

Al.
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Veteran? More like "Ancient Relic!"..been playing the mod for 12 years!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
I get knocked down but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down...!
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: Question re-damage display in Metalstorm

Post by Nefarius » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:14 am

With this and all the other code changes you have made, will this mean you have implemented some system where we can see how much of each individual damage type our characters are dealing
No, it only means I removed all the hardcodes from individual functions that reference damage related stats and placed them in a few data tables, so damage types can be added mostly just by adding the new stuff to those extra tables.

But...
It seems to be something that is missing from vanilla and most, if not all other mods, the ability to see the individual base damage for each damage type. I know Metalstorm won't suffer from caps and overflows but it would still be nice to see how much damage for each type you are dealing to give you an idea which ones need worked on. e.g. Fire, Cold, Poison and Lightning damage are fine but Magic and Physical need a boost.
We've also thought about this, while it isn't implemented at the moment, we want to have some extra display on the character screen that will show how much of each type you're dishing out by hovering over the damage-box ( kind of like it works for hit/defense/block ). The whole damagedesc code is replaced already so this shouldn't be difficult to implement once the time for it arrives.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Lashenya

Post by Lashenya » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:05 am

I take it then that you have fixed the LCS? :)

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:58 am

Obviously thats a given ;)

The client code uses the same logic (and also functions where applicable) the server end uses to generate the damage (as well as hit calcs and the like, which also was fully redesigned, the display now also takes into account the target's blocking and uses it's true defense) now in most cases, paired with general better sync, rather then performing guesswork like before.

* Of course, there are slight modifications to what the client end does with the fetched values, it won't factorize things such as critical, deadly and jester properties, though we will likely add a way to view accumulative stat values for all (interesting that is) stats on the character in some way.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:46 am

Jester properties?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:16 am

DemonicAngel" wrote:Jester properties?
If it's the d1 Properity. It randomize damage done on attack. (d1 version if I remember right -100 to +200% dmg)

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:22 am

kingpin" wrote:
DemonicAngel" wrote:Jester properties?
If it's the d1 Properity. It randomize damage done on attack. (d1 version if I remember right -100 to +200% dmg)
didn't it clone each monster you attacked?
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:30 pm

Kingpin is Right, the jester affix does random damage between -100 to 200% since its like the old d1 affix.

After all, we are talking here about damage display, and cloning a monster you attack has nothing to do with damage display ;)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

Krabator

Post by Krabator » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:49 am

This remind me the dmg display in Sacred... a sort of manhattan bar with the percentage of each damage value...

It's a good stat to display.

Keep up the good work :)

www.hackandslash.fr is watching you lol :)

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”