I am an absolute noob...

If you have constructive comments or suggestions about the Phrozen Keep for the staff, please post them here. Please note: this is not a forum for discussing mods or modmaking.

Moderator: Tech Support

AxeEvil

I am an absolute noob...

Post by AxeEvil » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:43 pm

I'm sorry, but I couldn't find a better place to post this really.
I couldn't find any answers to the following questions about mods.

1) If I have a mod installed can I still play Diablo II regularly? Or do I have to remove the mod to do this?
2) Will having a mod installed block me from or otherwise cause problems with Battle.net servers? ( this actually kindof ties into the first question but if the answer to the first one is yes this could still be a problem regaurdless. )

Thankyou in advance.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:47 am

Normally you should post messages such as this one to Visitor Announcements. Feedback is for commenting about the forums so we can improve them. :mrgreen:

You can run mods without affecting your original installation and without interference with playing Realms. You make a subdirectory for each mod, and put ALL mod files in that subdirectory. If the mod is a -direct -txt mod (it will say in its readme file), then you create any necessary subdirectories for the mod within the mod's subdirectory. For example, you might have the MTG mod, and put it in subdirectory Magic, then you would have

C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Magic

The MTG mod is a -direct -txt mod, so you need at least a data\global\excel subdirectory for that. So your final path might have

C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Magic\data\global\excel

with mod files in several places within Magic. Mods that run from the MPQ file (again explained in the mod readme) will not need more than the first path style.

Now when running this mod, and any other mod, you don't want to mix characters between any mod and plain Diablo II, nor from one mod into another. But the save path variable is stored in the Windows Registry, so just having shortcuts for each mod isn't quite enough. I may be biased, but these VB scripts I wrote (kudos to FoxBat) will help. Follow this link to download the scripts. The readme in the script package will tell you how to use them.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

AxeEvil

Thanks

Post by AxeEvil » Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:56 am

Thanks alot man.
Peace.
( the baulder's gate mod is awesome 8) )

Return to “Feedback”