Something Slightly Amusing

Information and updates for Sir_General's Rune mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Sir_General

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Something Slightly Amusing

Post by Sir_General » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:45 am

Yes... something of mild interest to anyone who wants to try something a little different. I'm not sure how good this thing is because I just got finished making it and have only begun playing it. I meant it partly for single player and partly as a party character. So I don't know what it's for... oh well...

It's a modified Paladin class... skill wise anyways. I'm just calling it a ranger. The class is designed to use a bow. Here's a run down on the skills:

ARCHERY SKILLS:

Arcane Arrows - (Required Level 1) - It's magic arrows. However it's been modified to convert a larger portion of your damage to magical damage, starts at 15% goes up to 73%.

Pyro Arrows - (Required Level 6, Arcane Arrows) - It's magic arrows again. Only this time with fire damage. Once again, converts to fire damage from 15% all the way to 73%.

Frost Arrows - (Required Level 6, Arcane Arrows) - It's magic arrows for a third time. Guess what element it does. Conversion is again from 15% to 73%.

Thunder Arrows - (Required Level 6, Arcane Arrows) - Another magic arrows with the lightning element. Conversion from 15% to 73% at max.

Venom Arrows - (Required Level 12, Frost Arrows) - Another magic arrows with poison damage. Conversion from 15% to 73% at max.

NOTE: Those 5 skills add 1 point of elemental damage per a level and some attack rating, but other than that their purpose is to convert physical damage to elemental damage. Meant mostly for hell mode in single player.

Strafe - (Required Level 18, Pyro Arrows) - Straight from the Amazon herself. Not much to say here.

Multiple Shot - (Required Level 18, Thunder Arrows) - Once again, straight from the Amazon skill.

NOTE: These 2 seem to be the 2 most popular Amazon skills, or at least they're decent. So I thought I'd carry them over. I always liked Strafe... looks like a damn machine gun to me.

Holy Arrows - (Required Level 24, Venom Arrows) - These are arrows that provide heavy magical damage along with a hefty bonus to attack rating.

Pierce - (Required Level 30, Strafe) - Yep... same as the Amazon's pierce skill. Arrows go through the monster.

Glaive - (Required Level 30, Multiple Shot) - Isn't a glaive a type of weapon? Anyway... I used this name because of the bouncing glaives in Warcraft III... this is basically chain lightning in the form of an arrow... hell... I even used the chain lightning animation.

PASSIVE SKILLS

Swift - (Required Level 1) - More stamina, fast movement speed. I always hated being outrun by those damn Assassins...

Warmth - (Required Level 1) - Straight from the sorceress... not sure I need this...

Pyro Guard - (Required Level 1) - Fire resistance. Who doesn't like some of that.

Frost Guard - (Required Level 6, Pyro Guard) - Cold resistance. Also useful.

Thunder Guard - (Required Level 12, Frost Guard) - Lightning resistance. Do you see a pattern? Guess what's next...

Venom Guard - (Required Level 18, Thunder Guard) - Just like before... resistance. It's kind of like the arrows.

Arcane Guard - (Required Level 24, Venom Guard) - And now it's exactly like the arrows. One of each element.

NOTE: The 5 guards are another group of skills meant primarily for the more difficult levels in single player. I could never seem to be resistant enough... so I think these will help.

Precision - (Required Level 12, Swift) - It's an attack rating bonus passive.

Iron Guard - (Required Level 18, Warmth) - Not sure why this takes warmth... but passive defense bonus.

Fury - (Required Level 30, Iron Guard) - Passive attack speed. Most useful.

BLESSING SKILLS:

NOTE: Alright, these are what I'm actually most amused by. If you've ever used the Sorceress skill Enchant... then you might be familiar with these. You can cast these skills on yourself, on a friend, on a minion, on a pet... they add bonuses for a limited amount of time. However, you can only cast 1 blessing at a time... and casting a second will remove the first. These are all really meant to be party skills so try to find someone to play with for these.

Healing - (Required Level 1) - Not actually a blessing... just a nice healing spell you can cast on things. Works really fast... I like it.

Holy Bolt - (Required Level 1) - Yeah... I just needed a skill and it seemed to fit kind of well.

Fortitude - (Required Level 6, Healing) - Adds a bonus to Strength, Dexterity, Vitality, and Energy... which of course raises hit points, attack rating, etc. Wears off after so long.

Regeneration - (Required Level 12, Fortitude) - Adds a fair amount of life regeneration for a long period of time. Your standard Regen spell from any RPG.

Bless - (Required Level 12, Holy Bolt) - Probably overpowered... bless reduces physical damage and boosts all resistances for a period of time.

Soul Reaper - (Required Level 18, Regeneration) - Adds life and mana stealing to your attack for a period of time. Who wouldn't want that (besides a Sorceress).

Rejuvination - (Required Level 18, Regeneration, Bless) - Boosts mana regeneration for a period of time. Portable Warmth...

Haste - (Required Level 18, Bless) - Haste increases all speeds for a period of time... movement speed, attack speed, recovery speed, cast speed, all of them.

Frenzy - (Required Level 24, Haste) - Frenzy adds attack rating and damage for a period of time. Another nice one for the warriors.

Vendetta - (Required Level 30, Frenzy) - Death to the demons and the undeads... Vendetta adds a load of damage and attack rating against both for a while.

So... some more notes. I like the Blessing Tree more than anything because it's so different than other trees. However I'm sure it's quite unbalanced. Especially if you don't use the modified DLL (I'll explain that in a second). But all in all I'm just amused with the class... so I thought I'd share it.

As for the DLL... yes, there is one modified DLL, which is D2Game.dll. Sorry, no launcher. And you can play without using the modified DLL, however, you'll be able to cast every blessing on a target at the same time, which is beyond over powered. The DLL prevents this and allows any single creature to have only 1 blessing on them at a time.

So feel free to experiment... like I said, I just started playing with this thing myself so... we'll see how it turns out.

Oh... and a note on bugs. I haven't modified items... so there are still targes and shields and other Paladin crap that doesn't work so well. Ideally a class specific bow would be thrown in. Also... items and monsters and stuff based on the Paladin's auras won't work because I ripped them all out and stuck in my own stuff. So keep that in mind and maybe something to fix later on...

Download from: http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/plan ... ssv100.zip
That's Sir_General with an _. Leave it out and I'll beat you with a rubber chicken.

gotler
Paladin

Re: Something Slightly Amusing

Post by gotler » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Im very happy to see that you are back. I had almost given up hope. This new class sound cool. Are you planning on making a whole new mod with new characters or are this just meant to be fun a mini mod?
Are there any news on your old projects?

-Gotler
Gotler by name, Gotler by profession
"ACTION PACKED PEE WEE" Casper Cristensen
"Sad.... but funny" Pim de Keysergrat

Wlffrsether

Re: Something Slightly Amusing

Post by Wlffrsether » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:34 pm

Nice to see you again Sir_General. It's also nice to see some alternative classes.

I hope this is the "little something to keep you all going while I work on the mod"-thing you announced in April. The RuneMod was, and still is, one of the most interesting mods I have ever played, even though it never was finished, and I really do want to play a version of the mod for v1.10.

Keep up the good work.
I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it.

Return to “Sir_Generals Rune Mod”