Can't get it to work

Information and updates for Sir_General's Rune mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Sir_General

Mohgeroth

Can't get it to work

Post by Mohgeroth » Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:38 pm

Someone help me out please, ive managed to construct a script for runemod to make it work, it loads fine and the title screen comes up but when i create a character, it always crashes at the load screen, i cant even get it to show act one, the door doesn't move, its some kind of internal error, why isn't it working?

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:53 am

Did you look at the d2 debug file? Those are located in your install directory and have names like D2021219.txt (this would be today's, they are date-labeled). Also be sure you have SGRuneMod.dll in the right place and correctly referenced.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Mohgeroth

still doesn't work

Post by Mohgeroth » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:57 am

it loads up and everything, even shows the runemow custom screen and everything, even beforehand, before i referenced it to the script i jsut extracted it all to the d2 directory, dlls and all and it didn't work that way... i dont know if it likes me lol, its an xp comp, but i dont think thats why but its something lol. I'm not that much of a cmoputer guru so the debug log isn't helping for anything, i'm out of options i think i might end up having to give up on the mod

Sobiius

Re: Can't get it to work

Post by Sobiius » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:34 am

Alright, I'm totally a rookie when it comes to Direct Text Mods, I've done .mpq's for about 2 years now, but anyways:

I took the .zip from the download and dumped its contents into my D2 folder,

I've got my shortcut configured to "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Game.exe" /dll "C:\\program files\diablo II\SGRunemod.dll" -direct -txt

If I run the mod by simply activating SG's Rune mod.exe in my d2 folder it'll start the game and I'll have the kill counter on my character overlay, but none of mods will take effects.

If I run it through the shortcut, it'll refuse to allow me to make a character due to an Unhandled Exception Access Violation at c0000005.

What am I doing wrong? :?:
Last edited by Sobiius on Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Psycho Chickenz

Post by Psycho Chickenz » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:33 am

I get the same unhandled exception thing but it is at the start of the game. I don't even get in.
My problem is something to do with D2win.dll and SG sent me another copy of it but that still didn't work.
I know what you're thinking and if I told you, you'd think I was talking in centimetres.

Watcher

Post by Watcher » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:27 am

[quote=Sobiius";p="63732"]Alright, I'm totally a rookie when it comes to Direct Text Mods, I've done .mpq's for about 2 years now, but anyways:

I took the .zip from the download and dumped its contents into my D2 folder,

I've got my shortcut configured to "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Game.exe" /dll "C:\\program files\diablo II\SGRunemod.dll" -direct -txt

If I run the mod by simply activating SG's Rune mod.exe in my d2 folder it'll start the game and I'll have the kill counter on my character overlay, but none of mods will take effects.

If I run it through the shortcut, it'll refuse to allow me to make a character due to an Unhandled Exception Access Violation at c0000005.

What am I doing wrong? :?:[/quote]

Those instructions are for the beta versions. They are outdated. What you need to do:

Restore your original D2 folder. Make sure there are no modded files there.
Dump the entire zip file into a subfolder in your D2 directory. You can name the folder whatever you want.
Run the .exe to play.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Assertion Failure".
--The Modding Bible, Gospel of Jeff

Sobiius

Post by Sobiius » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:01 am

I have tried that. Clean D2 with the entire .zip emptied to a subfolder. Running the .exe gets me into D2 and lets me make characters, but I have normal sized stash and inventory, no cube and no grab bag, and my character screen is normal, though the values (Ie: kill counter) overlays it (ie: its wrong) and the item drops are those of regular D2 (Superior, Socketed, no runes, etc). Any ideas?
"It is easier to stab someone in the back than it is to look them in the eyes.
Society is built upon this principle, and it is universal amongst those who rule..."

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:32 am

Did you let Winzip extract some of the files into subdirectories in the mod directory?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Sobiius

Post by Sobiius » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:50 pm

And therein lay my problem. Thanks so much for pointing out my mistake.

On a related note. Since + to Assassin Skills typically only spawn on exceptional claws, can you find + to Assassin Skill claws in the mod?
Society is built upon this principle, and it is universal amongst those who rule..."

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:47 am

On a related note. Since + to Assassin Skills typically only spawn on exceptional claws, can you find + to Assassin Skill claws in the mod?
Since you can buy claws/katars from stores while all other classes have to find their class specific equipment, it wasn't fair to make them spawn with auto-mods. However, the next patch will introduce claws/katars that can only be found in the field, not bought. They DO spawn with auto-mods and have 2-4 damage as opposed to 1-3 that the store bought ones have.
That's Sir_General with an _. Leave it out and I'll beat you with a rubber chicken.

Sobiius

Post by Sobiius » Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:34 am

As always, the illustrious Sir_General has both an answer and a plan, keep up the good work. And in response to the answer, doh, now I'll have to wait even longer before ubering up my items (since I always want to wait for the best base item before going over it with the runes), oh well, I'll survive, well, once I figure out how to play assassins (a skill I still don't have after countless tries).

And since it likely won't make sense to anyone else, I'm formerly FireandBrimstone, aka the one who proposed that it needed to be "with an _" as opposed to "with a _"

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Post by Rhonlore » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:07 pm

FireandBrimstone
I could swear I was around at that time and read that post lol.

Hey SG? Could we get an ETA???
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:15 pm

Do you mean an ETA on the next patch? If so, then the anser is: I'm not sure. I've been testing it, and it seems to be going well. But there's some more changes I want to squeeze in, along with a number of things I haven't had time to properly test. It might take a week or two more before it's finished. I ought to have it done some time in Feb though.
That's Sir_General with an _. Leave it out and I'll beat you with a rubber chicken.

Return to “Sir_Generals Rune Mod”