D2R.exe flags/launch options list

We will open up modding section ones the remaster of original Diablo 2 game is released. Until then we open up a section to discuss the upcoming title.
RobertPaulson

D2R.exe flags/launch options list

Post by RobertPaulson » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:20 am

hello, I stumbled upon this list:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comment ... e/hhd1g38/.

I figure we can have a post outlining the functionality and accepted variables for each of these:

"-window" - forces windowed mode [no input]

"-windowed" - forces windowed mode [no input]

"-w" - forces windowed mode [no input]

"-per"

"-lq"

"-gamma"

"-vsync"

"-aftermath"

"-s"

"-gametype"

"-arena"

"-joinid"

"-gamename"

"-bn"

"-mcpip"

"-ama"

"-pal"

"-bar"

"-sor"

"-nec"

"-name"

"-realm"

"-act"

"-log"

"-msglog"

"-nosave"

"-seed"

"-nopk"

"-ns"

"-direct" - looks for an unpacked data archive (used together with -txt as in "-direct -txt") [no input]

"-tactmode"

"-lem"

"-nocompress"

"-nosound" - runs the game muted [no input]

"-sndbkg"

"-filter"

"-username"

"-password"

"-address"

"-skiplogovideo" - can't get it to work

"-data"

"-locale"

"-countrycode"

"-mod" - enables mods within "mod" folder, alone needs mpq archive, with -txt can use unpacked files in "mod_name".mpq (folder) [string="mod_name"]

"-txt" - used together with -direct or -mod [no input]

"-norumble"

"-newplayer"

"-minimumloglevel"

"-resetofflinemaps" - generates new maps on joining the game (refreshes the map same as on battlenet) [no input]

"-enablerespec" - enables infinite respec of character points (shift+LMB on "plus" to refund character points) [no input]

"-players" - automatically sets /playersX to a number upon joining the game [integer >1, <=8]

"-maxplayers" - this is the one i'm most interested in, but it doesn't have any effect on the game and fails to join the game if input is out of range, I expect this to raise the -players above 8 [integer >1, <=8]

"-leveldifference"

I left anything I haven't tried empty
if anyone has any luck, please post what you find and I will try to update the OP.

glhf

BigMcLargeHuge
United States of America

Re: D2R.exe flags/launch options list

Post by BigMcLargeHuge » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:37 pm

Thanks for the list! I saw the Reddit post but hadn't seen some of these, glad to see that "-resetofflinemaps" is available!

It's amazing that they actually added a lot of PlugY functionality to D2R but not the most important function which was the infinite stash for single player :( I've been able to use tools like https://github.com/youdz/d2-stash-organizer to help but it still requires me to exit the game entirely to view and transfer stuff. Also amazing that they added that MHTML documentation.

gustarballs1983
Poland

Post by gustarballs1983 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:36 am

- maxplayers is an multiplayer option not the same as playersX. generally in multiplayer settings, there is an option, to set how many players can join your hosted games. From 1 to max 8, but it doesn't have to be 8 you can set the limit it to a lower amount.

-username is your battle net login email
-password is your battle net password
-Address is the gameserver domain name official servers are either:

us.actual.battle.net
or
eu.actual.battle.net
or
kr.actual.battle.net

depending on the region one wants to access

if all three:
-username
-password
-Address
are specified as commandline parameters in a shortcut to D2R.exe one can use this shortcut to launch online mode game without the need to start up battle.net app, provided the cookie.bin file is not outdated ( 30 days from last logon to online), or there are no pending agreements to agree to.
the above is mostly usefull in two situations:
one wants to start online game with high priority or processor core affinity set via cmd.exe "start" command and still be able to play online or hypothetically for folks that have multiple accounts ( EULA allows up to 3 per person) all with game license, and wants to start multiple instances of the game without the need to type all login information by hand, for each account, simply after shutting down what's nessecary in process explorer, one could simply run a shortcut with -username -password and -Address specified to start the game quickly. This is all given the PC is capable to run multiple instances of the game, and that is waay more than bare minimum required spec ( a.k.a. don't expect to run 3 accounts with 8GB of RAM etc.).

-nosave option seposedly does not save the game automatically in specified time intervals, but instead only when you press save and exit. haven't tested if it works online. If it does, and someone has a join venture or a second account, this could lead to massive duping.
-per and -lq should be obsolete now they are LoD commandline parameters to launch perspective mode ( 3D graphics) and the other forced low quality graphical effects.

-leveldifference is a multiplayr setting in options to set a limit on difference in clvl between host and those who join. both up and down.
=ns llamaSC explained this in a video NoSound.

the mostr curious are:
-gametype
-joinid
-gamename

when -joinid is specified to anything, trying to play a *singleplayer* character ends in "failed to join game" every single time. So in theory there's no need for tcp/ip-LAN mode implementation as it may be as simple as one player hosting a singlleplayer game to public ( somehow), and the other joining that game by specifying tyhe correct -joinid. but that would require the server libraries for the one hosting the game, similar to how D2LoD required server.dll in order to make custom realms.

This is what i found so far.

now i have a question. there was a reddit post on the commandline arguments for D2R, but it had the correct command sequence in the order of placement in a shortcut. That post is gone. and i still don't know if -direct -txt comes before the -username -password -Address trifecta or after it

Espionage724
United States of America

Post by Espionage724 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:55 pm

gustarballs1983 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:36 am
are specified as commandline parameters in a shortcut to D2R.exe one can use this shortcut to launch online mode game without the need to start up battle.net app, provided the cookie.bin file is not outdated ( 30 days from last logon to online), or there are no pending agreements to agree to.
Thanks for this tip! I'm on Linux and the Bnet client was broken for me since early December. WoW has a log-in screen that worked fine, but I needed something for D2R and specifying -username and -password worked perfectly!

Edit: A day later on a fresh Fedora install and those flags no longer worked for me

Return to “Diablo II Resurrected Discussion”