About Lionheart

Information and updates for Middle Earth and all other mods created by Varaya and Khan. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Khan

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

About Lionheart

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:38 pm

I tried playing the game again, this time making a one handed sword user Feralkin, and I found myself looking into the prisons of the Inquisiton. There was some guy that wanted her wife's spirit freed there, so I helped him out, angering the Inquisiton guys over there, so I had to fight some of them. I got keys from the Inquisitor and saved a prisoner Inquisitor (they imprison their own guys...), who in turn yelled "All shall die" in my face and attacked me.

Anyhow, I thought maybe he had suddenly gone mad and proceeded further into the prison. On the second level or so, I saw Galileo in a cell. Thinking I am somewhere I am not supposed to be (I thought the quest to save him would be a later issue), I offered to bust him out, he refused. He increased my mana, we said our goodbyes and I went on my way.

Then I got to a room where I saved Cervantes (I am sure I misspelled that), next to his cell, there is a strange demon like thing standing. I said hello (I am a "friendly to all but quick to anger" type of Feralkin), he asked me to save him. I saved my game (I shouldn't judge things on their looks, I know, but somebody told me that a Deva was sucking the blood of the Barcelona citizens like a vampire) and saved the Deva, expecting his furious attack.

And what does this Deva do? It says there are people that should pay for its imprisonment, then thanks me and increases some of my skills, and off it goes. Pretty civil behaviour compared to the Inquisitor that I had saved before.

Now I'm wondering who in their right mind would join the Inquisition? They are not the least bit different from their historical record (maybe even worse).

I am really trying hard to play/understand(appriciate this game. I really am.
This is a portrait of what has happened and what my happen. Do you cling to the past or can you see through the pain? You feel the potential within, do you not? Will you cringe from what you know and want, what you can take as your own? Afterall, it is you who has brought us into the dream. Nothing is real... Yet...

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: About Lionheart

Post by Éowyn » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:51 pm

Maybe it is more a multiplayer game ;)
If I'm going to get it someday, I will play it MP from the first minute. ;)
May the force be with you, always!

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:08 am

:lol:

Hello,

Not all daeva are bloodthirsty... This one is pretty evil but lawful... And don't think the perk is a "NICE" gift... You take too 250 bad karma in one shot... And be sure it affect ALL your future discussion and perhaps game outcome...

Karma is something like good-evil alignement in D&D : good karma is you do good act, bad karma if you do evil act (like making peace or working for murderous mongol goblins)...
For example, the merchant at the crossroad will only show you his special inventory if you had a nice amount of good karma...

And I like the fact that you never know the exact influence of your act : just do like you think... :)

About the faction : Wielder (mage faction) are supposed good faction (I say supposed, because your action can contribute to an evil aligned wielder faction), Templar are more like neutral-good, and Inquisition, are a bunch of evil/paranoiac morons...

I plan to play as an evil inquisitor after my current session.. ;)

regards,

jpr
Not enough mana!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:28 pm

How do you find the Wielders or the Templars? I joined the Knights Faction, since they looked like pretty decent warriors to me (I would have joined the Knights of the East, but they do not accept westerners, is there a way to really join them?)

Hmmm rescuing that Demon from the Inquisition sounds like pretty good karma to me, and a pretty decent act. I am serious. Who knows what the sick bastards would have to done to it if I let them. I think what I did was the smaller of the two evils.
This is a portrait of what has happened and what my happen. Do you cling to the past or can you see through the pain? You feel the potential within, do you not? Will you cringe from what you know and want, what you can take as your own? Afterall, it is you who has brought us into the dream. Nothing is real... Yet...

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:58 am

About the wielder : talk to Leonard, and he will point you on someone that can help...

About the inquisition : just ask an inquisitor to join (you must probably have some high speech if you're not human-looking)... There is the one at the gate location that can help you (near a shrine)...

About the daeva??? You're joking, right? Even if he was used by the inquiqition, he was chained and helpless... Now you just free it to bring doom not only on the inquisition, but on others innocent people too...
You find that cool?

:twisted:

regards,

jp

Ps : about knight of saladin : no, but you can do their quest... It give you some free boost!
Not enough mana!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:41 pm

Hmmm. I have to disaggree with you about the daeva. I for one do not automatically assume demons from other dimensions come with the intentions of "ridding this world of all innocent humans". The daeva I saved showed no signs of any hatred against human kind in general, it was angry at the inquisition for trapping it.

If the daeva had been truly evil, the first thing it would have done after I freed it would be to kill me, not reward me with skill increases and stuff. Try to picture a human with amazing talents in magic in place of that daeva: the scenario would be the same. The only thing different would be that you wouldn't immediately assume the human is evil.

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:07 am

:twisted:

Like this discussion : but you're wrong... ;)

You have to discuss some more with him to know a bit more about him...

There is a quest that involve him and the wielder at the first stage : Faust (the one you must liberate to fullfill the Galileo quest)! It ask you to convince Faust to sell his soul in exchange of powers... Huh!!! Pretty Goody Goody stuff, no? And if I remember, his nick his "master of pain"... Yeah! Good stuff too...

And about killing you, you're wrong : you can be evil and had some sense of honor, or at least you can keep your word : beside, it can assume that you're evil too if you free him... What's the point of killing another evil person that just help you... The gift his really appropriate : you become more deadly, and you are marked as an evil doer...

regards,

jpr

PS : not all evil are psychotic murderer...
Not enough mana!

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:13 pm

Hmm I also heard many things about it and some are not really good I think. Why do you get more skillpoint with some items, or why do you get more skill points with higher int (Well if it isnt't that much that would be ok) But what I really don't like is that there are items which boost you skill point gaining.
"Oh I nearly got a level.... Quick change my clothes then I'm growing stronger"
I don't think this is supporting many different chars. Many players are are boosting there int to 9 at the beginning and select the gifted, skilled combo. (At last that is what I heard the best thing you can do) And with the "levelup items" they get twice as much or more skill points per level as normal players. After all skills and perks are very important in Lionheart and you need 200 ranged skill for the sniper perc...
I think it is unfair and unbalaced when there are items with which you can boost your skill points that much...

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:30 pm

Hello Eowyn,

Don't be afraid of that... Skills point are important and you need far more than your 3 tagged skills to appreciate the game...

And when you level up your skills, higher they are, higher skills points you need to gain one rank : it can be 8 for non tagged skills and 4 for tagged...

Without cheating, you never be able to maximise (300) all the skills, even all the needed skills...

About the items that you need to gain skills points : this is a combination of 2 (necklace and ring of voodoo) ... And you gain only 1 more skill point... And most of the time, you're fighting when you level up... And the voodoo combination, unless you're playing a necromancer mage type, is not very usefull... And besides that, you don't find it so often, and you need humongous stock of money to buy most of the interesting items...

About the int : you gain only one more skill point by point in it > 5... You can have perks that give you more skills points too...

About the gifted traits : yeah, nice... but you loose 10 points in every skills unless magic...

There is one other trait that give you more skills point, but you have to forfeit perks for this one (1 every 4 levels, and not one every 3)...

If you don't want to break your game : just don't use the two following glitches... (that people do to maximise their character)...

1) don't do n times the first part of the games to increase your luck (there is 2 permanent luck potions in the beginning) : people start with luck at one and use this trick to upgrade it to 10! (you can export your character)

2) don't use the F9/F11 trick before opening a coffer (quick save and reload) : or at least don't do it too much time... ;)

People that are bragging about their character (how it's easy to finish the game with a vampire sword, and so on) have more than probably cheated one way or another...

The game is great : you can play an evil character without killing everyone in sight like in SoU... You even can talk your way out of most of the fight... Cheater opinion don't count for me...

This like some people that try to judge D2 beta 1.10 by playing maximised cheated character : for me it's BS!!! :cool:

There is only one way to test/judge a game : play it as it is intended to be played and not by using cheats/glitch... :)

regards, and peace...

;)

jpr
Not enough mana!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:38 pm

Hmmm. Somehow I feel that I won't be playing Lionheart for a long time.

The thing about changing into other equipment as you are about to level up surely sounds silly, but every game has those sort of glitches and I can live with that (I can even exploit such things at times).

The thing that bothers me is that the game doesn't feel as good as other Black Isle products. It almost feels like "We've got a nice setting screw the rest of it" kind of thing.

By the way, about the deva (I am tired of the other spelling), given what I knew about the it at that time, I think it was logical of me to let it loose. Yes it is named master of pain, or something like that, yet such names do not mean much to me, and it is the actions that count.

True the deva may go off to harm other people, but I think that is highly unlikely, since its priority would be to rid this world of the Inquisition. And that can't be too bad, right?

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:40 am

;)

For me he is going after the one(s) that imprison him (for example, he didn't kill any of the inquisitor in the place) and resume his occupation : bring suffering onto humanity...

regards,

jpr
Not enough mana!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:15 pm

You just don't like demons do you?

:nono:

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:39 pm

Hmm yes using such "bugs" in the game isn't that nice, but since I'm playing MP when I hava the game I won't do that because MP loading and saving is costs much more effort I think hehe.

Also you can mod the game so it gives you a fixed amount of skill points per level. Not modified by your int and not modified by items. But maybe this is considerd cheating too in some peoples eyes ;)

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:31 pm

To Jonaleth : kill them all! If you don't know why, they surely know the reason... ;) Just joking : I usually play the goody-goody, or the evil with an attitude... I discuss always first, but if there is something rotten, I don't hesitate... In the game you encounter later a repentant daeva... That's fine by me...

;)

Eowyn,

Yep it's cheating, because why bother putting point in the intelligence then? All character begin with the same number of points to distribute... If you choose to go with strength and agility, you must forfeit something else...

:x

It's very, very bad...

8-O

I'm totally dissappointed...

:cry:

I'm going to see my mama and and talk about your attitude...

;)

Du bist ein schlecht junge fraulein...

;)

I don't talk to you anymore... :P

sniff...

:crying:

:D :)

Have a nice day...

;)

regards,

jpr
Not enough mana!

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:21 am

lol rodrigj

Tu parle bonne allemand ;)

Mais je suis une madmoiselle aimable

Et mon francaise est terrible :-|

Isn't there any other advatage of Int ? Maybe more mana with more int or something like that ? I don't know. I don't even know how to mod LH but I heard you can mod it that way....

Ah my Godess please forgive me

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:24 pm

Ich spreche nur ein bischen deutch...

;)

Long forgotten memories when I was in school in Baden-Baden... I used to live 5 nice years in Karlsruhe, and come to love this town... ;)

T'was happy days... :D

Now I live in "elsass", not so far from Germany...

Yep, I have looked in the code of LH : it's very easy to mod if you know a computer language like java, visual basic, pascal... But, I don't touch it, because this game is not so much random as D2...

And yes, INT give more mana as charisma, like strength give more HP as constitution...

But if you play a fighter type, you don't need so much mana!

One more last advice : if you try the game, buy all healing potion that you can, it's very usefull later in the game...

Do you know french, or it's a "web" translation? ;)

regards,

jpr
Not enough mana!

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:53 pm

Is my french that bad that it comes near a web translation ?

Well I can understand it better than I can speak it (:

Karlsruhe is a nice town I was there once or twice, but it is too big for me hehe I would get lost there.

BTW can you tell me how you can play in in MP ? Can you tell the game to connect to a specific IP or what do you need to do if you want to play with a friend and not on a plublic server ?
Last edited by Éowyn on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:46 pm

;)

No, your french is enough clear for moi, Mademoiselle!!! :)

Yep, Karlsruhe it's a big town, but you can use bicycle to travel it : the waterpool near the "Rhein" is great and the center park wonderfull...

About HL, yes, you can use IP adress to play, so it can work through the web!

regards,

jpr
Not enough mana!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:38 pm

Wish I knew some French. I don't like German but I love French. I guess I am too old/busy to start learning such a complicated language right now.

Speaking of age, how old could Eowyn be to know that much French?

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:01 pm

"A pretty face like yours eowyn is a nice place for french words."

"Un visage comme le tien Eowyn est une plce de choix pour la langue francaise."
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

taurendil
Paladin

Post by taurendil » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:46 pm

I've been playing too much lionheart the last couple of weeks to read these forums i guess :). It's a fun game, but ofcourse it doesn't have the replayability of Diablo ... what game does?
About the Daeva's, Jon: it seems you haven't picked up enough of the storyline yet to appreciate their role in the world. They are actually the (7?) big evil henchman of the main bad guy. Rest assured that when you will meet Daeva's that don't need your help to escape, they will attack you on sight.
The gaining more skill points trough changing equipment seems silly and unbalanced to us diablo players. We are used to making characters we use in hundreds, or thousands of games. In this respect Lionheart is different, and closer to a true RPG. It is ok that every character is unique, and it is ok that one character is lucky to find +skills equipment, and another isn't. At the end of the game, it is the end of your character. You are not going to go back and restart 'act5' hundreds of times.
It's not limited to 1 item combo though. One of my characters get 3 more skill points from equipment. The belt and amulet of voodoo is 1, plus an armor 'of mastery' and a helm of somthing-'logic' that gives +1 int.
Impotent man looking for frigid woman to just sit around and do nothing.

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:32 pm

Hello Taurendil...

:cry: don't find this equipment...

Must try another session with a bowman (or woman)

;)

regards,

jp
Last edited by rodrigj on Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not enough mana!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:22 am

BAH!

I play RPGs for the storylines and the atmosphere mostly.

Though Lionheart has the potential of a good storyline (I do not know what comes after Barcelona), the atmosphere did not satisfy me. I think it is an issue of taste. My friend could not get the idea of "Planescape: Torment" 's atmosphere, but I loved it, I can't get Lionheart, maybe he will (I am mailing the CDs to him :) )

By the way, the user interface is not the brightest too (as I stated before, but it needs one more capitalisation).

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:19 pm

Hmm yes it's anothet ting than IWD or BG or Torment, but in some way nice too.
BTW I have to game now too, but I don't get it to work is Multiplayer.... Can someone tell me how it works or what am I doing wrong ? Maybe it just dosn't like my network settings...

Return to “V&K Mods”