Monster blocking

Information and updates for Middle Earth and all other mods created by Varaya and Khan. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Khan

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Monster blocking

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:51 pm

Does anybody know the blocking values of monsters in 1.09? Can you change them or are they hard coded?

I noticed that in 1.10, monster blocking rates have been improved drastically. Those that have shields block 1/3 of my attacks, maybe even more.
This is a portrait of what has happened and what my happen. Do you cling to the past or can you see through the pain? You feel the potential within, do you not? Will you cringe from what you know and want, what you can take as your own? Afterall, it is you who has brought us into the dream. Nothing is real... Yet...

Khan
Retired staff
Angel

Re: Monster blocking

Post by Khan » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:08 pm

Blocking for monsters was introduced with LoD (and 1.08) and is editable in monstats.txt (guess somewhere in monstats or monstats2 for version 1.10 still).
For the mod we set blocking to 0 for all monsters apart of Act End Bosses because AC and the diminishing returns tohit% formula are enough to keep to-hit at a reasonable level, and also any melee character with a tohit of under 70% is a non-working piece of dead meat anyway :)

btw I don't know if they were raised in 1.10 but I guess a look at monstats.txt would answer that question.

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:11 pm

Is it the ToBlock column that tells the block rate of a monster?

If so, are the 1.10 stats kept inside the monstats.txt like ME stats? I got a little confused back there.
This is a portrait of what has happened and what my happen. Do you cling to the past or can you see through the pain? You feel the potential within, do you not? Will you cringe from what you know and want, what you can take as your own? Afterall, it is you who has brought us into the dream. Nothing is real... Yet...

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:49 pm

Forget I asked that. I knew where to look eventually.

I am looking at the blocking values right now.

Hmm. Almost all monsters have blocking, ranging between 5% to 45%.

Can I change this in 1.10? I know I'll have to extract monstats.txt and change it, then copy it to data/global/excel folder, but when I run the game with -direct -txt, when I hit the single player button, the game locks up.
Last edited by Jonaleth Irenicus on Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:32 am

I reverted back to 1.09 and it worked.

The problem is, does anybody know how to mod 1.10 right now?

(damn I'm posting to myself in the middle of the night...)

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:10 pm

Hmm normaly it should work. i didn't try it. Did you use excel to modifiy the txt file ?
May the force be with you, always!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:52 pm

Yeah, I used excel.

The thing is, I made it work in 1.09, and to see it fail in 1.10 leads me to think that maybe 1.10 modding is not that easy

Of course, I'm a troll in modding, so I am most probably wrong.

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:20 pm

Hmm I don't know.... never tried to mod 1.10 but for sure you can't use a 1.09 file in 1.10.

Khan
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Khan » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:32 pm

Hmm interesting, I didn't think 1.10 would pose a problem there. Let me get some things straight:

You extracted the monstats.txt from the patch_d2.mpq version 1.10?
There was a column called toBlock in that file?
You set the values in that column to 0?

Mhhhh I just looked it up and see we set it to 1 not to 0. I don't remember any problem but it looks like setting this column to 0 is not a good idea :) Try using 1 and see if it works.

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:27 pm

OK, this is what I did:

Extracted the monstats.txt from patch file (that patch_d2.mpq thing), I opened it with excel and set every monster drop class to Baal (H) (I wanted to do something obvious first, this is my first attempt at altering the game).

I copied this .txt file in data/global/excel and I ran the game (1.10) with -direct -txt. When I hit single player button, the game locks up.

I reverted back to 1.09, the game worked fine. I extracted monstats.txt from patch file again, did the same changes. I ran the game with -direct -txt, I could enter the game, and monsters did drop like Hell Baal.

Without the 1.09 try, I would say "I am a troll and it's just me", but to see that I made it work in 1.09 bugs me.

taurendil
Paladin

Post by taurendil » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:18 am

I just tried it - setting up all monsters to drop like baal - in 1.10s, and it works perfectly.
Impotent man looking for frigid woman to just sit around and do nothing.

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:14 am

[quote=Jonaleth Irenicus";p="129240"]
"I am a troll and it's just me"
[/quote]

:OI:

:crying:

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:49 pm

:cow:

maybe it is not only you (:

just try it again. Maybe it is the same as with editing the tlk file in infinity engine games. Sometimes everything goes well and sometimes not, but both times you did exactly the same...

Khan
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Khan » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:14 pm

Jon you sure you extracted the monstats.txt from the 1.10 patch_d2.mpq? And moreso from the right version of 1.10 since there are some patches to the patch I hear :)

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:19 pm

I extracted the monstats.txt from 1.10 patch file, but now I know what the problem is and I know I can't fix it.

Let me just say, I am running D2 with a loader program which was made for 1.09d but (strangely) works with 1.10. However, getting ME to run through that loader was REALLY a strange experience (I somehow got the middle earth short cut to run the game exe through the loader and get the txt files from another folder by copying/pasting A LOT of folders all over the place).

I think this current situation of loader/txt files/exe file problem causes the strange things that happen when I try to run the game with -direct -txt (the bnet option is marked "prevent monster heal 100% and stuff like that).

I'll have to clear my computer of all D2 files and reinstall the game (and find a loader for 1.10) but I'll do it all when 1.10 is officially released.

BTW: I think I'll have graduated from medical school (6 years) before 1.10 is out (OK, but seriously, who can say D3 or anything Diablo related will be out before then?)

Khan
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Khan » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:45 pm

D3? Oh yes I am really positive that chances are at least 50% that I will be still alive and able to hold a mouse by the time it comes.

Loader Programs mhmh, well I would say it's rather a miracle to get a direct txt based mod to work with a loader. How about using a CD :))

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:14 pm

If I told you what happened to my original LoD CD, the whole forum would gather into a truck and you would drive it over me a couple of times.

:OI:

Khan
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Khan » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:07 pm

ouch

Return to “V&K Mods”