Military Service

Information and updates for Middle Earth and all other mods created by Varaya and Khan. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Khan

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Military Service

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:29 pm

They have mailed my "last call" to military service to my home back in Istanbul. Another problem to be dealt with. I'll have to get some papers to the military to tell them that I am attending university here and that I can't serve my country right now.

This leads me to think, what is the military service in your country? Here it is 18 months (yes, eighteen...)
This is a portrait of what has happened and what my happen. Do you cling to the past or can you see through the pain? You feel the potential within, do you not? Will you cringe from what you know and want, what you can take as your own? Afterall, it is you who has brought us into the dream. Nothing is real... Yet...

Pispotje

Re: Military Service

Post by Pispotje » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:43 pm

None, only on free will

Elessar
Paladin

Post by Elessar » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:37 pm

Only on free will here, plus we get perks, like our military will pay for our college(university) education if we sign on for so many years, and they give a sign-on bonus :)

Elessar
I have this to say,.. No enemy has yet taken the Hornburg."
- "Helm's Deep" The Two Towers

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:50 pm

Do people sign on military and then go to college with the funding? Is there any limit to that funding by the way? How many years do you have to serve?

I wasn't surprised by the answers, since I know mostly military is more like a "job" in other countries. It is also a "job" here too, but we don't have college funding (state universities are very cheap here) or sign on bonus (or that monthly payment when you serve the military for a certain amount of time).

It always looks like Turkey can never have enough soldiers to arm the country, so we have military sorvice for every men of age. And they nail you the instant you graduate from high school unless you attend university :)
This is a portrait of what has happened and what my happen. Do you cling to the past or can you see through the pain? You feel the potential within, do you not? Will you cringe from what you know and want, what you can take as your own? Afterall, it is you who has brought us into the dream. Nothing is real... Yet...

Khan
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Khan » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:10 am

Sounds like it is here in germany only that our service currently is 9-12 months. The army actually is desperate to not aquire too many men for military duty cause they need to save money.

You can choose here if you want to do 9 months military service or 12 months civil work (you know hospitals, charity organizations etc.)

so you are just postponing it? well I guess the sooner you get through with it the better.

taurendil
Paladin

Post by taurendil » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:22 am

[quote=Khan";p="130906"] well I guess the sooner you get through with it the better.[/quote]

Not quite. If you enlist after med school, you'll get a nice and easy term as a doctor, compared to what you would have to go trough as a fresh 20 year old boy.
Forced military service was abolished in Belgium about 12 years ago btw.
Impotent man looking for frigid woman to just sit around and do nothing.

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:12 pm

Yep, I think I have to go to another city where all med school graduates are sent for two months, learn how to handle a gun, and then serve at a military hospital (with a good pay I figure).

I have known some doctors that actually continued serving in the military hospital (or the city the military sent them) well after their service was over.

I think our army doesn't need to save money, my guess is (I don't think you could get official values on this) that the Turkish army is the wealthiest organisation in Turkey (yes, including the government).

I guess it's all about the fact that Turkey is in a "difficult" area on the world map.

Elessar
Paladin

Post by Elessar » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:56 pm

[quote=Jonaleth Irenicus";p="130851"]Do people sign on military and then go to college with the funding? Is there any limit to that funding by the way? How many years do you have to serve?

I wasn't surprised by the answers, since I know mostly military is more like a "job" in other countries. It is also a "job" here too, but we don't have college funding (state universities are very cheap here) or sign on bonus (or that monthly payment when you serve the military for a certain amount of time).[/quote]

Yes, we have several people who do it that way because most universities are quite expensive (starting in my area around $220 US per semester hour and going up from there, not including books or fees. Multiply that by an average course load of 12-15 semester hours...) They're required to give somewhere around 4-6 years (not sure about the actual number right now) and I think the limit is somewhere around $38,000 depending on branch of the service. You get to choose pretty much whichever university you want to go to (assuming you meet the admission requirements I'm sure). I think you do basic training first, then get stationed whereever you want to go to university.(since I'm not doing it, I'm not 100% sure how that part works ). Promotions usually tack another couple of years onto the required term of service.

Take care :samurai:
Elessar

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:38 pm

Lucky me (:
I don't have to do anything, but I can if I want ;)
May the force be with you, always!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:51 pm

Doesn't that cause problems? Like leaving education for 4-6 years and returning to it after so much time?

I'm not sure, but SAT and AP scores are only valid for a certain time, so if you do military service, you have to take the exams again, right?

Hmmm. Eowyn in camoufladge and with a machine gun... May I say that "feels" sexy :)

Elessar
Paladin

Post by Elessar » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:57 am

Well, you go to college/university, then you serve your term in the military. This will also determine what field you are in while serving this term. After all, if the military pays for your education, it should get to make use of it, no?

Of course, this benefits the person as well, since by the time he/she gets out, he/she has not only the degree, but a few years of practical experience under his/her belt.

Take care :samurai:
Elessar

Return to “V&K Mods”