Can someone read elfish ?

Information and updates for Middle Earth and all other mods created by Varaya and Khan. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Khan

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Can someone read elfish ?

Post by Éowyn » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:15 am

I have an elfish text here: Text

can someone read it, and translate it ?
May the force be with you, always!

Elessar
Paladin

Re: Can someone read elfish ?

Post by Elessar » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:44 am

Well, it can be read two slightly different ways, but with very important differences :)
The first is:
"Speak friend and enter."

The second is:
"Say friend and enter."

Did you mean the entire selection or just the part using the Hindu-Arabic (non-Cirth) Alphabet?

"Pedo mellon a minno" can be found on the Hollin Gate of Moria. I assume the rest is as well, but as I can't yet read Cirth I am not sure :)

Take care :)
Elessar
I have this to say,.. No enemy has yet taken the Hornburg."
- "Helm's Deep" The Two Towers

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:37 am

Well I meant all, the "Speak friend and enter." I was able to find out myself, because Gandalf translats it when they were there. But the rest is very difficult, because I can't read elfish :(

Elessar
Paladin

Post by Elessar » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:16 am

Ok then the rest is not from the Hollin gate because all that is translated by Gandalf as well.

I will do what I can for you to translate when I have a moment, at least from Cirth to a standard Alphabet. If someone beats me to it though, all the better for you :) (Btw, listings of Cirth and Tengwar alphabets, as well as the differances between Cirthas Daeron and Angerthas Moria can be found in the Appendices at the end of RotK.)

Take care.
Elessar

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:25 am

Hmm now I'm not sure anymore....

Here is the complete picture.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/36 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg

Maybe it is all on the gate and I only remembered the first sentece....

Elessar
Paladin

Post by Elessar » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:02 am

Does that mean it's on a book cover? Might ask the author :)

Upon closer examination it looks like it is written in Tengwar rather than Cirth. Tengwar is a "round" alphabet written similar to cursive, while Cirth is more angular like manuscript. First I will attempt to translate letter by letter. Parenthesis () indicate a letter I was unable to translate. I should also warn some letters in Tengwar have more than one Hindu-Arabic counterpart or even a combination based on the need of the writer. I will put all the options in brackets [] and make my assumption from there. Also, even the signs above the letters have meanings. They are vowels preceding the consonants, and thus you can assume any vowels I place coincide with the signs over the consonants directly after them except in the case of the very first letter, which turns out technically isn't a letter but a sign to show that it is a "short vowel." If it looks like an undotted i then it's a short carrier, if it's an undotted j it's a long carrier. I may have to spread the translation over a few posts/days for my own ease. This is gonna be fun :) If the options are in the same order it indicates the same letter/symbol was used.

[e,i][lh,ld][i,e]rn apram[e,i][k,kw]atrr[y,au,aw]n

Ok these are the first two words, and so let's attempt to translate them to English.

Word 1 possible spellings: elhern, eldern, ilhirn, ildirn

I would take a guess to say the first syllable in refers to stars or Elves in the case of "El," In the case of "Il" it can either mean "not (of)" as in the older uses via BoLT (Book of Lost Tales) in Ilkorins (not of Kor, essentially equal in reference though not literal meaning to Umanyar "not of Aman") or referring to Ilm which has no listed meaning in the Sil.

Word 2 doesn't even have any roots that I can distinguish.

Of course, I am assuming this is Elvish and not one of Tolkien's other languages :)

As I siad, I must divide the translations for my own ease. I've already spent an hour on this one :)

Take care :samurai:
Eonwë
Last edited by Elessar on Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:31 pm

I don't think I can ask the author because it is also a quiz (;

But thanks for your time ;)

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:51 pm

I found a picture where someone already translated this language, but its the sign on the door, and this is not asked here.

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/_ennyn1.png

hat least think the text below "Pedon mellon a minno" is not the same as written on the door.

It is from this page

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/ ... war_s.html
There are also a few other translated textes, but the other text is written in german.
Last edited by Éowyn on Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “V&K Mods”