Hell's Revenge

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.
ShadowLord
Paladin

Re: Hell's Revenge

Post by ShadowLord » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:41 am

It's meant to be hard :firedevil:

[quote=BeArE";p="140422"]
brrr.. and no IDscrolls either.. so what can you do when you find a magic item :)
[/quote]

If you don't find ID scrolls, try killing fallens (they usually drop a few scrolls) or put the good staff in yer stash till you get cain.

Another (expensive) method is to sell magic items and buy them back (which also identifies 'em).

News: Nov//26

I chose to get rid of the old uniques (most of them were stupid or didn't work the way they should), will make new ones.

[Unique progress]
Swords: done
Axes: done

News: Nov//27

I added automagic modifiers to some of the weapons to make the fights a little less static:
1h Swords: 5% Deadly Strike
2h Swords: 10% Deadly Strike
1h Axes: 5% Crushing Blow
2h Axes: 10% Crushing Blow
Polearms (except Scythes): Knockback
Long bows, heavier Crossbows: 5-10% Pierce

This way I simulate "critical hits", which makes those endless battles slightly more interesting.
More weapons will today be "equipped" with similar Stats.

News: Dec//14

Currently working on uniques and ring/amulet enchanting (which refuses to work). The automagic stats are all added.
Last edited by ShadowLord on Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
There is no hope. There is no salvation. This is Hell's Revenge.

nazo

Post by nazo » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:10 am

After reading all of the posts it sounds as if your mod is a pain to get through...which is exactly what I look for in a mod. I though the orig D2 was far too easy, but after downloading the latest beta and ATTEMPTING to get through a few areas with a necro...I died several times. Keep up the good work...and don't soften it up a single bit. :turnevil:
Death claims all but the darkest souls...

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:55 pm

I'm happy to hear that it's as difficult as it was intended to be. And don't worry, it won't become easier :firedevil:

LordTemjin
Paladin

Post by LordTemjin » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:24 pm

Sounds like an interesting mod, ill try it out :)
<juice> Invalid Syntax Error?
<juice> usually the syntax errors I get are Valid.

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:41 pm

News: Dec//27

Slightly re-balanced a few skills, increasing the damage bonus per skill level for holy fire and improving the synergies for the original 5 characters. The expansion chars will be taken care of as soon as I have the time.

News: Jan//19

The Assa and Dru have got slightly more synergy bonus, and the item system has been rebalanced. Since that amulet enchantment thing refuses to work, I'll focus on the bosses now.

News: Jan//20

Since the homepage won't be finished in near future, I'll post the intro text here:

I have failed. The Battle is lost. Everything is lost. This Letter is my last Legacy.
I feel him. Deep inside my Soul I feel his vile Presence. How it burns!
Night after Night I beg for Redemption, for the End of my Pain. But it is useless at all.
I know that the Pain will not end. He does not have Mercy with me. I am his Host, a Source of Power and Nothing more.
Oh, Goddess of Light, why have you forsaken me?
I have tried. Oh how I have tried to resist him. But it is too late. There is nothing left beyond the Pain. My Soul has vanished, only the Body, no, the Corpse remains. I am not, by any means, better than a Ghoul, a Zombie or any of the vile Creatures he already posesses.
Yes, I have failed. I did not sense the Danger. Oh, how could I just have thought Diablo, the Lord of Terror himself would let me destroy his brother's Soulstone! Why have I been so blind?
Why did I believe he would leave the Forge of Hell unguarded except by a creepy little Servant?
Oh, Hephaisto was there. But so was the Devil himself. I fought. But how could I dare to oppose the ancient Master of Hell? Of course, I failed. And I paid the Price.
Soon this will be over. I cannot resist him any longer. The Lord of Hatred will take my Body, just like Diablo did with the Hero who once defeated him. The three Prime Evils will unite.

I will die soon. The Pain fades away, my Vision is shrouded. Oh, sweet Death, how I adore you.
So hear my last words: The Battle is lost. The Prime Evils will now rule the World.
There is no Hope. There is no Salvation. This is Hell's Revenge.
Last edited by ShadowLord on Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Molmoch

Post by Molmoch » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:55 pm

ShadowLord,

Playing the mod and enjoying it greatly. The Amazon seems a little easier than a few of the other classes since the bows do so much damage. Perhaps that will level off later.

Any ideas for updates? Are you still working on this when you get a chance?

I think this is some of the most fun Ive had in a long time. Lvl 8 Amazon, and proud of it.

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:49 pm

Level 8... not bad.

Most of the time I actually play the mod myself, enjoying my paladin's power (he's level 16, with a rare scimitar and a perfect skull belt).

But there was also some progress on the mod. During the last week, I reworked the monsters in act 4, including new spells for most of them, and added succubus witches to act 4. They too got some new spells. Imagine a group of succubi casting novas... :twisted:

Molmoch

Post by Molmoch » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:35 pm

Yikes!

Some minor questions. Are all those carver/devilkin supposed to be spawning like that? No complaints, but it seems that if they spawn its a whole bunch of them - 20+. Good exp though.

Do you have in your mind an approximate level per stage of the game idea? Im thinking about 10 per act, but its real hard to say.

Things I am looking forward to: Book of Town Portal, The Cube, getting a magic ring and amulet, my first rune, set, or unique, and seeing what they have for sale in Act II.

Im hoping there are others playing the mod. It has brought back some of the "oh crap whats down here" feelings I had the first time I played.

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:40 pm

Molmoch";p="153752" wrote: Some minor questions. Are all those carver/devilkin supposed to be spawning like that?
Yes, I wanted some large groups of these monsters. Otherwise, they would be too weak, I think. And, yes, they give lots of experience, as long as your level isn't too high.
Molmoch";p="153752" wrote: Do you have in your mind an approximate level per stage of the game idea? Im thinking about 10 per act, but its real hard to say.
Well, you will usually complete act 1 with something between level 10 and 12. But in the later acts, it strongly depends on the way you play. I'd say 10 levels for Act 1, and 5 for every later act.
You can complete act 2 and 3 much faster if you want, but then you'll be stuck in act 4, unable to kill anything. So I'd say better do all the quests and then go leveling, it helps.

Molmoch

Post by Molmoch » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:14 pm

Just hit 10th level, and the inner cloister. Glad to have gotten past a lot of the bone archers. It seems like I couldnt get very far without another champion bone archer or wraith pack.

I have never been so happy before to find a Tome of Town Portal. Now to find enough scrolls again to fill it.

How I long for that Cube! Mostly to get those gems to work.

Will the imbue work on a ring / amulet? Should I save the imbue for something better when more prefix and suffixes are available?

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:22 pm

Unfortunately, imbue will not work on rings/amulets with the mod version you have. I will soon release beta 4 which will probably have this feature enabled.

Generally, I'd say better wait until you are at least level 15 before imbuing. Since there is only one difficulty, you will have this quest only once.

News:
I have finally got the amulet enchantment working:
non-magic amulet + gem -> enchanted amulet
The amulet will get random stats as well as a fixed bonus depending on which gem is used:

gem type - mod type
diamond - +% to resist all
amethyst - magic damage reduced by x
ruby - +% fire absorb
sapphire - +% cold absorb
emerald - poison length reduced by x%
topaz - +% lightning absorb
skull - +% max resistances

gem quality - mod value
chipped - 5
flawed - 10
normal - 15
flawless - 20
perfect - 25

Example:
perfect diamond + amulet -> crafted amulet with +25% to all resistances
Last edited by ShadowLord on Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Molmoch

Post by Molmoch » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:44 am

ShadowLord,

Is Gambling broken too? I tried a gamble for a ring (now that I hit 10th level I can actually do it) and just got a ring. Major waste of gold. Can you eventually gamble for stuff, or is this feature essentially removed.

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:55 am

The problem that occurs with imbuing does also influence gambling. :( Gambling weapons and armor will work, but rings and amulets have this bug.

This will be fixed in beta 4, which I will release soon.

Molmoch

Post by Molmoch » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:19 pm

ShadowLord,

I like the idea, but I'm wondering if that is too much for the absorbs and resist all and max resists. Consider:

Perfect skull amu +25 to max resists
Two perfect diamond rings +50 resist all

That only leaves another +50 to get on armor, shields, belts, gloves, and boots? Yikes. That sounds almost easy...

The magic damage reduced by and poison length both sound about right.

May I suggest:

Skulls + resist max

+2, +4, +6, +8, +10

Diamond +resist all

+3, +6, +9, +12, +15

Topaz/Sapphire/Ruby + lightning, cold, fire resist

+10, +20, +30, +40, +50

I am assuming that there is no difference between rings and amulets for any enchanting issue. If you can make a difference, maybe make the amulet more powerful since you can only have one, and the rings a little weaker?

And do crafting recipies or runewords work?

I'm eagerly awaiting the next beta. Lots of fun!

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:36 pm

The recipe only works for amulets, not for rings so you'll have only one item of such power.

The normal crafting recipes don't work. Only the new recipes, gem upgrading, revuj potion mixing and the quest related stuff.

The runewords are still those from original D2 and are not meant to be used in the mod.
I will make new runewords, but this will take some time.

Same for sets+uniques. The unique swords and axes are already done, but I will have to take care of the other ones. Sets will then follow.

News: Feb//15

I have completed the unique clubs, maces and hammers and rebalanced redemption.
Last edited by ShadowLord on Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:23 am

Just to let everyone know, on this week's news at the Phrozen Keep we have announced the beta 4 of Hell's Revenge, which you can get by going here!

Molmoch

Post by Molmoch » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:08 pm

Shadowlord,

Just downloaded the new update. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm level 13, just started Act 3. Act 2 really was too easy. I think the amazon might be slightly overpowered. Maybe bows do too much damage? Something feels too easy.

I enjoy the mod. Here are some random thoughts that you can take or leave.

Corpsefire and the beginning of Act I is perfect. Really hard. Skeleton Archers are fun to deal with. Magi seem way too weak. They don't do nearly enough damage. You might want to look at the ghost types. They don't seem to have a lot of hp. Crushers in Act 2 do not do enough damage. All the archers in act 2 are too weak as well, maybe more physical and less magical?

I found Andariel and Duriel to be patheticly easy in comparison to getting to them. Several bosses have almost no hp. Blood raven, the Smith, and the Summoner all died too easily.

I really like some of the boss packs that you have to deal with in key locations that are new. Its fun to fight something unexpected in an early area. (I almost peed my pants when I was in the Cave...)

I think the cube should drop from the unique rather than the chest. That unique is a PITA, and I just ran around him to get the cube. :)

So far Act 3 is silly. I think I need to change strategies to cope for the absurd amounts of poison damage there. I think those stupid fetishes do more poison damage than Andariel!

There really needs to be something useful that you can do with money. I've been maxed out for some time now, and can't spend it on anything. Its rather frustrating.

This is fun, but I wish you had more time to finish it off. Runewords, set items, and uniques, as well as some adjustment to the gambling screen are all needed to really make it feel complete. I understand the time issues, and I'm not complaining. Just stating the obvious.

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:45 pm

You're right about the amazon, but I'm not sure what I should change. The only thing I've done about it right now is slowing down most of the bows.
(This change will appear in Beta 5)

The magi are a problem that was solved in 1.09, but during the conversion to 1.10, some changes were lost. I am currently trying to
-increase the damage of some spells
-give new spells to some of them
This has been done for some later monsters (act 4 and 5), but not yet for the lower-level ones.

About the bosses: I did not want to give them too many hitpoints, that would be unrealistic. Maybe I should power up their skills?
However, I made the prime evils much tougher than act 1+2 bosses, but the latest changes could not be tested yet - the council prevents that :roll:
I can only say that my paladin faced Mephisto once, and he was a true pain (Mephisto, not my pala ;) )

The problem with act 2 monsters is that players get way better armor, but the monster strength remains the same as in act 1. Don't know what to do there.

Yeah, the festishes do more poison damage than Andariel. That used to be fun in 1.09 where a second fetish hit killed you. In 1.10 this has been "fixed" :cry:

The thing about money is: you'll need it later to repair your equipment. My paladin's helm costs about 25000 to repair, his belt 24000...
Other possibilities to spend money will become available when I finish the material system - and when the staff enchantment system is enabled.

You could also try gambling, in this version it should work *hopes*

In conclusion,
I'd say that some of the things you said were already known, others are new to me. I will try to change the things mentioned, but balancing takes time...

Molmoch

Post by Molmoch » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:39 pm

ShadowLord,

Thanks for taking the time to read, think, and respond to my points. I'm very happy with the ideas and concept of the mod. I'm glad to hear that gambling might work, and that I can spend some of the gold burning a hole in my pocket.

I think Andariel might be ok. Maybe boosting the damage of Duriel's up close melee attack? It was amazing how long I could let him wail on my (like 4 times) before I died. Not the charge - that seemed very good.

For the amazon, I agree with you. I'm not sure what you can do to make that work either. :( Slowing the bows could work, but yet seems contrary to the nature of the class. It might just be the way it goes.

As for the fetishes with the dart guns, can you give their attack two parts? Maybe an attack that does very little physical armor piercing or magic damage and the rest poision?

Some potential ideas for Act 2 changes. Boost lightning bolt damage somehow for the bugs. Make those serpents really hurt. Give the undead scavengers some poison attack. The leapers felt about right. Give the horror archers more elemental damage. Boost crusher damage, as hell as the hellcat type monsters. I think that would make life really tough.

Maybe its just going to be that Act 2 is "easier". Open space, time to maneuver, lots going for it.

I appreciate your willingness to hear a player's view. I do want to stress that I am not demanding changes. Its very playable as is. Any changes you can make are appreciated, but don't let me or anyone else push you into it. You're doing a good job, and it is noticed!

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:28 pm

Okay, that's what I did today:

-Andariel's poison damage has been slightly boosted

-Duriel had a little bug that caused him to use the correct melee damage only 50% of the time. This has been fixed. In addition, he got a higher "jab" skill level.

-The fetish attack has been upgraded - it can now pierce even heavy armor.

-I have fixed missing damage entries for mage type monsters. They should now be able to do considerable damage.

-Melee damage of some monsters - especially in act 2 - has been increased. A few of the monsters also got a better chance to do critical hits.

There are still some details to be fixed, bosses to be tested and things to be added, but overall I think this day's work was very successful.

PS: Molmoch, I appreciate your help. You point out the things that might need improvement, and that's valuable information. I'm trying to make this mod as playable (and challenging) as possible, and to achieve this goal, I need feedback :D

News: Feb//24

I have dedicated three days to the bosses, and now I'm satisfied with the results. Andariel and Duriel are much deadlier, but you can still kill them. Mephisto got +350% life and a few extra skill levels, which makes him almost unbeatable. Umm, and what I did with Diablo... *evil smile*

News: Mar//9

Not much going on. A little balancing, a few bugs fixed, bot nothing important. Having some problems with my PC, and it seems like everyone wants me to do different things than working on the mod.
However, there is still some progress, and hopefully I can soon finish a new load of uniques...

News: Mar//17

Had to build/setup my server PC (routing, LAN server, DSL access for multiple PC's - such stuff), but now I'm back online.

The promised uniques are done, all daggers and wands this time.
Spears will be next on the list, I guess they'll be finished today or tomorrow.

News: Mar//17

Yeah, more news today. I just played around a bit with monprop.txt again, and had an interesting idea, which I immediately implemented:
Shamans (not fallen/carver shamans, but devilkin and above) will sometimes get random defensive auras, healing their minions with prayer, making them immune vs specific elements or throwing back damage.
Fighting your way through the masses, slowly advancing towards the shamans, trying to find out which one has the aura - that's fun.

Actually, inventing evil tricks for the monsters has become even more fun than leveling my characters :D
I will add some more soon. Maybe offensive auras for the act5 overseers? Sanctuary for act 3 cantors? This starts to become interesting...

Oh, and of course another load of uniques is done, the spears and 50% of the polearms.
Last edited by ShadowLord on Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eNTi

Post by eNTi » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:18 am

i've been looking for something like your mod for quite some time. it's great, even if it's frustrating. i'm dying constantly with my barb (not to speak of a necro, i tried once). i'm not sure if it's intended, but i'll get only 7 points of extra life, for spending 15 points of vit and leveling up 3 times. so i got a total of 107. that's a little too less i would assume.

btw. i agree, that armor is destroyed much more easily than in diablo 2, but a duration of 1/1 on a normal leather armor is rediculous. you need to increase those values by at least 5x in my opinion.

also consider, that there are is a massive amount of creatures, so make them a little weaker. it's no use dying at level 3 after one hit.

and no... a single arrow will most likely NOT kill you in real life. you can die if you are hit on a vital part of the body, but most of the time that won't happen. you even need to consider, that an arrow fired from a shortbow will never pierce a platemail or similar.

you might even consider, that most weapons that are not blunt, will make you bleed (open wounds) and die of blood loss, while blunt weapons are will affect your movement speed, by squeezing or breaking your bones.

so far my ideas for now. keep up the good work :).

btw. could you please give me a link to a permanent place of the game files? i don't really like fileplanet. i do have a homepage with 10MB webspace, so i could easily host your mod, if you like.

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:31 am

1st of all, soory for the delay, my router software sucks...

@eNTi:

You get only 0.5 life per vit, because otherwise high-level chars would have so much life, that armor wouldn't be useful anymore.

I decreased the dur to make sure that, even if the armor grants more protection than the damage done by enemies, players aren't invulnerable. However, I'll think about the specific values.

I won't weaken the monsters. It's meant to be (too) hard. Well, everything becomes much easier when you get act2 equip...

"a single arrow will most likely NOT kill you in real life"
Well, I think a crossbow or long bow would in most cases. Well, in fact, the weapon's base damage (63-90) isn't enough to kill someone in one hit, but the damage bonus from dexterity (meaning: the aim) does the work here. If the char aimed well, the hit will often be deadly. If you can't aim, you might still hit the target somewhere, but won't kill it in 1 hit.

"you even need to consider, that an arrow fired from a shortbow will never pierce a platemail or similar"
Let's say a player with a short bow does 70 pts of damage. Most heavy armors reduce damage by 80 or 90 points. So, the arrow won't pierce the armor.

"you might even consider, that most weapons that are not blunt, will make you bleed (open wounds) and die of blood loss, while blunt weapons are will affect your movement speed, by squeezing or breaking your bones"

I like that idea. That should be worth a try. As far as I remember, bleeding damage is hardcoded, but we'll see.

Damn, no time, I'll be back later :/

------------------

Internet problems again, but I'm still alive, and working on the mod :fadein:

A little balancing here and there, light armor has now a little more durability, and a major change:
the leveling speed is now doubled :cheer:

At higer levels, the game becomes boring. You're too weak for act 4, but too hi-level for anything except travincal - and, believe me, you don't want to do the council twice :twisted:
So I increased the experience gain at all levels, which seems to help.

News: June//21

I did a lot of balancing work, mostly act 3 and 4. And of course, I continued working on monster skills.
Especially act 4 monsters have become even more evil (or whatever you call a monster that casts a rapid-fire cross-screen armageddon :diabolic: )

News: June//29

I have to redo the existing uniques due to some stupid mistakes, but that's almost done now.

But there's also some good news: Using monprop, I gave certain monsters damage reduction (simulating the armor they wear) instead of physical resistance. This makes some of the fights more realistic and sometimes requires special tactics if you can't pierce their armor.

By the way, I added 5-10% openwounds to swords and axes.
thx @eNTi for the idea.

I will release a new beta in the near future, but I want to make some new uniques and sets first.

News: July//2

I have just finished beta 5, which will soon be released.
Last edited by ShadowLord on Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mylon

Post by Mylon » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:38 pm

Polearms (except Scythes): Knockback
I've been meaning to try a polearm barb (I've never played one yet in any mod) but knockback is one of the most annoying effects in the game. When trying to solo something you keep whacking it, moving forward, and then whacking it again.

Now knockback on ranged weapons, that's a different story...

ShadowLord
Paladin

Post by ShadowLord » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:33 pm

In real life, when using a halberd or bardiche, your most important advantage vs other weapons is range. Enemies often don't come close enough to attack you directly. I wanted to transfer this effect to the game. If you want to play an offensive polearm barb, simply use scythes.

News update: Aug//3

Sadly, I have not been able to upload the new beta. Had some weird problems with FTP, and email doesn't work either.
However, I'll sooner or later find a way to upload that damn file. Sorry for the delay...

News Update: Sep//8

Currently having some personal problems. Nothing serious, but enough to keep me off my work most of the time. And still no solution for the beta upload... maybe I'll have to wait for my new PC...
Last edited by ShadowLord on Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:33 am

Currently having some personal problems. Nothing serious, but enough to keep me off my work most of the time. And still no solution for the beta upload... maybe I'll have to wait for my new PC...
If you need to find a way to get your beta up, just send me a pm and we can work out a way.

EDIT:

I have got the latest release from ShadowLord, you can find the latest beta 5 release here.
Last edited by kingpin on Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Sandbox”