Single-use wide-hit skills for melee builds.

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

No votes

Total votes: 0

kazein
Paladin

Single-use wide-hit skills for melee builds.

Post by kazein » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:27 am

I'm looking for ideas for wide-hit skills (like a "wide slice" that'll hit 4-7 monsters) that use weapon damage instead of +any-damage. I'm talking about a single hit skill here, not like zeal/ww/fend.

The only thing I could come up with for the barb is using a simple bone teeth that deals phy-dmg instead of mag-dmg and uses something like 3/8th's weapon damage. Is it possible use something like this and the limit the range to 1/4th the screen size?

Tell me your ideas.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:42 am

best would be to clone shockwave imo, that has a radius & range control, and can easily be given srcdamage & you can null out the missile gfx easily
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

kazein
Paladin

Re: Single-use wide-hit skills for melee builds.

Post by kazein » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:43 am

Null out the missiles? You mean get rid of them?

If that's what you mean, what do you think would the best kind of missile animation for such an effect?

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:57 am

if you want to set the missile invisible (aka no graphic), you will set null into cellfile, and set animlen to 2

This way, your skill will look like it is not shockwave, but just great weapon swing ;)

if you want to have some missile, take a look into extra folder in d2data/missiles .. there are some unused missile graphics..
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

kazein
Paladin

Post by kazein » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:35 am

<post body>
Last edited by kazein on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:57 am

skills.txt is limited to WORD (i.e 65535).

kazein
Paladin

Post by kazein » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Not to sound rude but, how does that information help me? (having trouble with missiles, not skills :\ )

(please take 5 minutes of your time to read this over or test my files out)

Test #1:
Also, tried something different out. I extracted both "skills.txt" and "missiles.txt" straight out of the patch (previously using nef's fixed files) and edited with notepad, just to make sure I had no typos on my previous files and to make sure they weren't affected in anyway by editors like MS-excel.

I copied "teeth" to the last line, re-named it and gave next-id. In "skills.txt" I changed the skill to use this new name.
-Result: Tested and the skill did not work ... what am I missing? I did THE most simplest edit ever!

Test #2:
Tried '#1' again, without any ".bin" files or other ".txt" files in the folder.
-Result: ... skill did not work.

Test #3:
The proceding work was all done in notepad, with careful work.
I emptied out the folder entirely again and extracted: "skills.txt", "missiles.txt", and "skilldesc.txt." straight from the un-corrupted patch file.

Cloned "teeth" inside "missiles.txt", appended it, re-named to "bteeth" and gave it id#684 (the next-id).

Then I opened up "skills.txt" and changed "teeth" to "bteeth" for the missile to be used for the skill "Teeth". (simple, no?)
-Result: Skill no longer shot any missiles out and didn't damage any enemies (to rule out any strange occurances for an invisible missile).

So, I thought it'd make sense to have to create a new skill to use a new missile. So I cloned the "Teeth" skill to the bottom of "skills.txt" and re-named it to "Kazein" and gave it id:#357. I disabled the original teeth skill by setting "ingame"-column to '0'.
-Result: Skill in the skill-tree was red and I was unable to invest any skill points into the skill.

So, I figured it would also be logical to create a new skill description line for a new skill. So I cloned "teeth" down to the bottom of "skilldesc.txt" and re-named it to "bteeth". I then disabled the graphical display for the orignal teeth-description (0000 -instead of- 2122).
-Result: Now there is no graphics in place of "teeth" in the necromancer's skill tree.

What am I doing wrong guys?

Here are my the modded files I mentioned in "Test #3", they are from the patch 1.12/1.13 and are in the latest "winrar" format: http://www.filefront.com/15386513/kazei ... 0files.rar

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:15 am

1) you didn't add a new skilldesc, you only nulled the current ones gfx and click position...

2) your skills.txt uses missiles that don't exist: 'bteeth'
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer

kazein
Paladin

Post by kazein » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:25 am

Necrolis" wrote:1) you didn't add a new skilldesc, you only nulled the current ones gfx and click position...
I" wrote: So, I figured it would also be logical to create a new skill description line for a new skill. So I cloned "teeth" down to the bottom of "skilldesc.txt" and re-named it to "bteeth". I then disabled the graphical display for the orignal teeth-description (0000 -instead of- 2122).
-Result: Now there is no graphics in place of "teeth" in the necromancer's skill tree.
What I forgot to mention is that I used the new skill description on the new skill. (I don't think you read my latest/later post)
Necrolis" wrote:2) your skills.txt uses missiles that don't exist: 'bteeth'
I" wrote:Test #3:
The proceding work was all done in notepad, with careful work.
I emptied out the folder entirely again and extracted: "skills.txt", "missiles.txt", and "skilldesc.txt." straight from the un-corrupted patch file.

Cloned "teeth" inside "missiles.txt", appended it (put it on the bottom line), re-named to "bteeth" and gave it id#684 (the next-id).

Then I opened up "skills.txt" and ...
I'm not rejecting your help but, it'd be nice if you actually read my full (or latest?) post :\ . Would really appreciate it if you could look into it further :) .

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 pm

I went on the files you posted, so why don't you fix your end? (honestly, I don't moan at people for not reading and then not read myself, I read your post several times, including the 5 times it was bumped[seriously bumping it when there is no change and it is still way up on the first page is going over board, apart from the fact this should really be in GMM]. my reply relates to the fact that your txt files(the ones you link to and that you state: relates to test #3, don't match what you said you did, which is why I commented/replied)

kazein
Paladin

Post by kazein » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Okay, I see the text files that I uploaded weren't in direct definition of my post. I think I uploaded them after messing with it a lot more.

Anywho, I tried it one more time ... clean files that is, again.
My steps:
(all done in notepad again, and again - with extreme carefulness)
Step 1: Empty out folder and extract skills.txt, missiles.txt, skilldesc.txt, and patchstring.tbl from an uncorrupted patch file.
Step 2: Opened skills.txt and cloned "teeth" to a new line underneath the last skill, I then disabled the original (ingame: 0).
Step 3: Give this clone a new name ("Kazein"), a new id (357), made sure it was enabled (ingame: 1), replaced the missile to be used with "bteeth" instead of "teeth", and gave it a new skilldesc: "kazein".
Step 4: Opened missiles.txt and cloned "teeth" to a new line underneath the last missile. I renamed it "bteeth" and gave it a new id "685".
Step 5: Opened skilldesc.txt and cloned "teeth" to the bottom, renamed it "kazein" and changed the "Skillname, Skillsd, Skillld, and Skillan" to be using id#282. I then disabled the original "teeth" description to not appear on the skill tree.
Step 6: Opened patchstring.tbl with "tbled102", created "Skillname, Skillsd, Skillld, and Skillan" #282 and gave it a funny description ^^.

Result: Skill did not show up on the skill tree.

My files: (Directly what I have in the post this time)
http://www.filefront.com/15398807/kazei ... 0files.rar

Dra1970kstaar_MSD
Paladin

Post by Dra1970kstaar_MSD » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:00 am

this might sound a little redundent but are you starting your game using the -direct -txt switches?

kazein
Paladin

Post by kazein » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:11 am

Yes I did.

I stopped modding pretty much, so, I'm no longer concerned with this.

(happened to see a new post on this old topic in "view active topics")

GriffonSpade

Post by GriffonSpade » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:55 am

I suppose as a final note it should be pointed out that at least some of the classes have distinct vertical and horizontal swipes with weapons. Sorceress A1 and Amazon and Paladin A2 attack modes swipe distinctly sideways(especially notable when using a 2 handed sword), making a shockwave based attack(with sourcedamage to make your weapon count) look much better than if it were to use the opposite attack mode which is an overhead swing.

maxmage
Paladin

Post by maxmage » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:12 pm

i have an idea make a new animation for the area of effect then make it work test it till it works the way you want it to. then make the animation invisible :D and bam you got area of effect dmge just like the naginata on median :D
power is only limited by understanding hence its possible to attain power far more powerful then unlimited or infinity
but if you cant comprehend such power
then such power is not possible for that individual....

well guys here is the asnwer to why you never get answer to your modding questions that have to do with features of other mods.
Myhrginoc wrote:The game does read bin files, but it is no trivial task. We haven't pursued the technique, it would be a huge chunk of code. And we repect the wishes of mod makers who don't include changed txt files because that would give away their secrets.

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”